• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 What blower motor to get?

stiligFox

Part-time Tinkerer
Hello all - my blower motor is blown in my car. Went to put in one from the junkyard and while it's working, the blades are broken and it wobbles badly past 3 speed on the ECC.

What brand should I get for an aftermarket? I don't particularly feel like spending $220 for a OEM Volvo one, but I do want something that will last.

EDIT: for a 1992 960 the only fan I’m really seeing is by Four Seasons. Are they any good?

Last edited:
Be careful with the JY fans... I haven't seen a 960 at the LKQ in a few months...

IIRC, the 960 fans are different from the 940 fans. Take a close look at the direction of the vanes on the fan. In addition, I think they might spin in the opposite direction of a 940 fan.

Be careful with the JY fans... I haven't seen a 960 at the LKQ in a few months...

IIRC, the 960 fans are different from the 940 fans. Take a close look at the direction of the vanes on the fan. In addition, I think they might spin in the opposite direction of a 940 fan.

Thanks for the heads up! The blower fan I'm trying to use now was from a S90 that was at LKQ many moons ago, but all these fans are so old and brittle... But I'll definitely pass over the 940 ones...

Okay - so going to order a 4seasons one, but I have not idea what to get, as I see several different varieties. iPD sells one for $119, and says this one works with the ECC, and they also sell one that works for the manual controller. So I know I have to get one that's compatible with the electronic controller, at least.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6475/112972-heater-blower-fan-motor-automatic-climate-control

But then here's this page - with three varieties, and for cheaper. I see the cheapest 4seasons doesn't have a connector, I'd have to wiring it in manually and I'd rather not do that. But there's two others - a 85 dollar one and a 110 dollar one, with no discernible differences. The part numbers don't do anything in google. any ideas??

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1992/volvo/960/climate_control/blower_motor.html

+1 for not getting the VDO one. Mine had the shaft pressed too far into the bearings and I had to press it back a 1/4" before the impeller would clear the housing. Added at least two hours to the job to get that dialed in. Now, only a year later it's a little noisy in the cold.

"Grandma version" pullapart OEM with low miles". I pulled a 125K mile donor for my 940, ran (so far) 5 years with all speeds, nary a squeak or rattle. Keep a clear eye for donors.... perhaps up 'til 97 used the same as earlier?

Plan B - find OE PN from TascaParts.com.... set up eBay search, score.

One made for a Chevy which you can get for around $25.00 at any Autozone, etc. will work just fine. I'll try and dig up the specific one I got and post the info.

Well, i can't dig up the part #- it's in one of my notebooks somewhere. This was a few years ago and for a 92 965 we had at the time. Fan was still working fine when I sold it. Seems like the connector was just a little bit different but still plugged in. Try one from an 1988 or so Chevy Caprice-that is in my brain for some reason. Take your old one with you to visually compare. At least those fans are easy to R & R, esp. compared to a 240!

Blower motor from a Chevy... interesting. Wasn't the Volvo HVAC system designed by Harris, a GM supplier/subsidiary?

OE blower fan from something such as 90's Camaro or Firebird. Don't try an aftermarket, it's not the same design. You'll know that you've found the correct part at the junk yard when you find that it's mounted under the passenger side dash of the GM car, not under the hood.

The one from FCP comes with the connector you need. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-heater-blower-motor-760-940-960-s90-v90-3537857

I replaced one in my 760 with a junkyard unit, all I had do was remove the extra connector and plug it in. I'd still vote for finding one in the junkyard. Take a 12v battery and make some leads that you can use to test it. This will ensure you don't get a dud. Would be helpful to have a buddy with you, the fan will fly out of your hands if you're not careful while attempting to test it. Someone to hold fan and some to hook up the leads to the fan connector.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll pass up on VDO for now then haha. I don't have the time much anymore to explore at the junkyard, so I ordered the one from FCP Euro and will see how it works when I put it in. Also ordered a brake booster check valve while I was at it. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Huh so I ordered it from FCP and I received a VDO motor instead of the 4Seasons one I ordered... it looks just like the 4Seasons one in the pictures. I called FCP and they said it is the right one for my car, and that it's likely the same exact thing with a different name stamped on it. Does that make sense to you guys? I thought about calling up VDO to see if they'd comment on it, but all I can do is send an email...

VDO=Siemens=4 seasons. There are probably a few other brand names used on it.

They use those same brands for a 240 which are all made at the same place.

Correct Part, direct fit, no adapters needed.
AC Delco 15-8697
GM# 52472505
fits 88-02
Camaro, Cavalier, Firebird, Cutlass, Grand Prix, and Lumina.

Back