• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there a drain plug?

henry_sigourney

I was thinking about draining and filling the differential on my 93 945 turbo (not IRS). I looked but could not find a plug. Do I need to buy a gasket and remove the cover to do it?

Cool. Thanks.

BTW - Can I use 80W 90 in the differential? I think the owner's manual calls for 90, but I can't seem to find it at my local parts place. I have plenty of the 80W 90 on hand.

diff oil

Be sure that the diff oil you buy is GL-5 rated. 80-90W is fine as long as it's GL-5 type.
On my 1993 245 you have to remove the cover to drain the rear.

before you drain the fluid, make sure the filler plug can be removed (no broken or rusted out threads). no point in draining the diff (or any other component) without being able to fill it again....

odd. On my 940's old axle the bottom cover bolt acted as the drain. No need to remove the cover and re-apply the expensive PITA anerobic sealant more than is absolutely necessary.
When I swapped axles, I did a cleanup and removed the old gasket. I did this because I have an '86 axle with a proper downward facing drain plug with a 93 G80 mod carrier and a 93 945 cover using the anerobic sealant on the 86 axle with the shorter '93 axle shafts all in 3.31 ratio. I wouldn't want to have to clean and re-seal that more than is necessary, and it was not necessary for me to do that when just dropping the fluid in the 93 3.73 1041 that was originally in my 945.
So, unless you are building a freak diff like I did, simply removing the fill plug and then the bottom bolt ought to be sufficient.

Back