• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blue 92 - The Kid is Back

Been ordering more parts. New NGK plug wires are at the house. Finally decided to pull the trigger on those Boge strut inserts in the classifieds. Stopped by Pep Boys & ordered the 225/50/16s for the BBS while they were on sale which will arrive in a week.

Need to order the rear shocks, budget restrictions keep me limited to KYBs for now. When I install the strut inserts & rear shocks I'll chop a coil or 1-1/2 all around plus install the rear sway bar.

Busy man.

I have to have sometihng to keep busy with. I don't have my own project car, my kids are grown up, living in a 1 bedroom apartment and pretty much have no social life.

Been working on my son's 01 Accord coupe also here in San Antonio. Picked up a used set of Michelin 215/45/17 tires for the Enkei 17" wheels I bought a couple months ago. Have a CL type-s rear sway bar and all new end links to install. Saving up some spare cash for a set of Koni street shocks/struts to go with the Neuspeed lowering springs we grabbed at pick n pull a couple months back. Going to vinyl wrap the roof black and add a few more cosmetic items to help it not look so plain.

Related by family to this thread, but got the 17" Enkei wheels with Michelin 215/45/17 tires and wrapped the roof in black vinyl on my son's 01 Accord tonight. Vinyl went on pretty good despite it being only my 2nd time. It's tough balancing modifying both of my kid's cars equally. It keeps me busy when the funds allow and it's something we do together.

20228922_10209715028454121_8080200565397462928_n.jpg

20046532_10209715028374119_6356564392317789031_n.jpg

My daughter wanted me back in Houston this weekend to go to Cars & Coffee. Woke up Saturday morning & drove out to another big show. So many cars it was hard to keep my attention in one place.

Favorites of the morning were a pale yellow Ferrari Daytona coupe, the new McLaren 730s was present and was pretty cool to see. Saw a TE72 Toyota Corolla liftback which I haven't seen one in person in over 20 years. It was the first car I bought when I graduated high school, so it was really cool to see. There were a pair of new Civic SI-Rs and even a mint Ford Thunderbird turbo-coupe.

Parking filled up quick, so we parked on the outskirts and walked around. As usual, we had the only Volvo there until we got to the back of the lot and saw a super nice 122S

20597173_10209869962647379_8032999626058183249_n.jpg

20637909_10209869948007013_6977025386334854206_n.jpg

That afternoon she got called into work, so I pulled the car into the garage and got to work. New NGK plug wires, cap & rotor under the hood and new KYB rear shocks with the IPD bar in the rear. Ran out of time to tackle the front strut inserts, so that will have to wait a little longer. Ordered a spare fuel pump relay to keep on hand in the glove box.

So the girl says her car has been giving her problems lately. She drove out to San Antonio from Houston Friday to see the vintage championship races at Circuit of The Americas on Saturday. We switched vehicles up and she drove home in the wife's 4Runner leaving the 244 here with me and my wife reclaimed the LandCruiser.

Thursday before she drove out I walked her through swapping out the Hydras back to the steelies by photos and phone. The 2 rear hydras were bent and we're not able to run them on the front. The front end had some vibrations the last time I drove the car and it needed an alignment. Shop wasn't able to complete the alignment before she drove out due to some bad tie rod ends.

Sunday afternoon I got out the polishing compound and the 7" polisher and went to work. I got the driver side finished before I ran out of steam.

Spent most of yesterday running errands in the car. It was a quart low and the oil light was flickering on & off. Other than that it runs pretty good. Slight vibration still from the front end. Topped off the oil, but I'm going to have to change it with a new filter this weekend.

Finished polishing the other side and the hood. Only thing left is the roof. I'm not a big fan of the single stage paint. Tonight I'm going to order some vinyl wrap for the roof. Because my bike doesn't fit in her car very well without completely taking it apart and lowering the seatpost all the way I ordered a roof rack. I don't want to mess with waxing the roof with a rack on there.

The brittle and dry beltline trim has been killing me since we got the car. I've only been able to find half of the nicer 92 only trim so far, so I did the poor man's trim removal. Stopped by Pep Boys and picked up a roll of multi width striping.

QuC9kTt.jpg

I started pulling the belt line trim and replacing it with the 1/4" wide black stripe from the roll to cover the trim holes. It's cheap and effective. Plus this car will never be a show car. Almost every panel has some sort of damage especially the driver side rear quarter panel.

Used one of the narrow strips to black out the chrome trim in the tail lights.

rZxbanw.jpg

The largest size of the stripe kit is the right size for the door handles, so instead of removing and repainting the handles only to have them chip I covered them in vinyl.

The rear bumper trim is off because I found some undamaged trim at pick n pull yesterday. I'm cleaning them up before installing. I also used the vinyl from the roll to cover the stainless bumper trim. I'll post some pictures once it's all complete later this week.

Up under the car I discovered the tie rod ends need replacing and the ball joint boots are torn. Once I identify the correct rack I'll order inner and outer tie rods and the ball joints.

Got the roof rack and the basket assembled this weekend and installed on top. I needed a way to carry my bike as it doesn't fit inside without pretty much completely taking it apart. I have a single bike tray in Houston that I'll pick up the next time I'm there.

A1VbDUA.jpg

I used some of the leftover vinyl from when I wrapped the roof of my son's Accord coupe to wrap the b pillars instead of painting them. The largest stripe in that roll of pinstriping is just about the right size to cover the trim for the outer window scrapers which looks a lot better in glossy black instead of flat.

Half of the interior lights aren't working, so I ordered some LEDs which will be here tomorrow. I also moved one step closer to achieving ludicrous speed by wrapping the dash trim in some plaid vinyl.

7LLFUvi.jpg

Currently on the hunt for the right set of adapters for the BBS wheels which I'd like to have on the car before the end of the year.

My wife found it on ETSY.com - I've never been on the site, but it seems like they have everything. I ordered 2 12" x 24" sheets in case I screwed it up.

Install is pretty easy, remove trim from the car. The chrome strip comes off, but be careful not to break the tabs holding it on. It doesn't take a lot to release the chrome. Make sure you have a sharp knife, cut a piece large enough to wrap about 1/4" or less over the top. The chrome will hold the top in place. The bottom I just trimmed even with the base because it's hidden once it's installed.
Using a heat gun or hair dryer will help shape it around the corner pieces.

Make sure you clean the trim before applying the vinyl. You can help it stick a little more by heating it up a little bit once it's on.

cNhgX17.jpg

kGwFazj.jpg

Spent a lot of the weekend cleaning. First weekend I had the car I polished out the paint and applied a coat of good wax each weekend after. I'll continue to do this for the next few weeks - weather permitting.

Painted the front chin spoiler and the rear apron black with some bumper and trim paint. Got the driver side window posts painted in satin black, ran out of energy to finish the passenger side. I need to pull the e-codes out so I can wrap some black vinyl on the turn signal top trim. Painted the steel wheels with a quick couple coats of glossy black after some serious scrubbing. I don't know if I should paint the lower plastic door trim or just remove it and run a vinyl stripe across the bottom. There are only a couple holes holding each piece on, but I don't want to pull the door trim without knowing what to do with the rear fender trim.

Tirerack.com has basic Rallyarmor mud flaps for under $20 and I kind of want to install a set, but I haven't decided yet. Tires are getting mounted on the gold BBS wheels this week while I'm in Houston and I'll bring them back with me to San Antonio. I found the correct adapters, I just haven't ordered them.

You can't really see it from these pictures, but I ran some glossy carbon fiber vinyl between the tail lights and behind the license plate. Throwback to my old 16v 740, I've always liked that look.

I'm also bringing back the strut inserts, strut reinforcement plates, egg crate grille and the bike tray for the roof rack from Houston this weekend. The inner and outer tie rods and ball joints arrived last week too.

Wow that car is absolutely stellar!

Notice I'm not showing the driver side with the wavy rear quarter panel. I think every panel has a dent or a ding in it - even the driver side C pillar - but it cleans up pretty good. Never going to be a show car, but I'm having fun with it.

I forgot to mention. I've been on the lookout for an affordable set of old school halogen driving lights for close to 6 months now. Bid on a few sets of used lights, but I'm only willing to go so far as I know how much they are new.

I did pick up a pair of Hella Jumbo 220s for $18 each as singles, but after they showed up they were too jumbo. So much that the bottom of the light housing was below the front spoiler. I found a set of the Hella Micro FF lights at one point for $88, but it wasn't in the budget at the time.

I always have a running list of items on Amazon, car parts, bike parts, etc. and was watching a set of Hella Comet 550 as a kit ($76) and single lights (not in a kit) at $33 each.

Saturday night while doing some early Christmas shopping I checked my list as the prices fluctuate from time to time and found this :

1AdwWsJ.jpg

Needless to say I bought 2 then promptly texted a select group of friends to swoop in and buy the remaining 7. I just need to pick up some covers and a wiring kit.

Back