• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

So I was having the same issue as described >here< (not enough current causing voltage drop and the solenoid not closing completely).

Fixed by adding the relay solution :cool: (black one starter relay, grey one is just the coil for the wasted spark tacho)
Qw5UN0Yh.jpg

I do not agree with your method of adding a relay to the starter circuit. That makes more points of failure. You have excessive resistance somewhere in the circuit. I am going to guess at terminal crimps, ignition switch, or connectors. Always measure power circuits with a test lamp. 7V on a meter won't illuminate a lamp; you found a problem. However, you could have 12v on a meter, but not an illuminated test lamp. (one strand of wire can show 12v on a meter, but won't operate a component)-- To find poor connections, perform a loaded voltage drop test with your meter.

That pink anaerobic liquid gasket is TOUGH to lay down properly. I used a foam paint roller. Your layer of pink goop LOOKS thin; you MAY SEE A LEAK. I put TOO MUCH pink goop on my oil pump/front crank seal plate and fouled the oil pump relief valve open and lost oil pressure.

Last edited:
Yep, I see your point about more points of potential failure. True. I might change it back in the future and debug it more if there is time and energy...;-)

The sealant I think just LOOKS thin. Once I've put the two halves together, there was very little extra sealant being pushed out all around equally. Soon I'll know :)

So to summarize the clutch hose issue: for b204ft/gt the standard HEL hose for Volvo 740 turbo doesn't fit, also the KL Racing hose doesn't fit. The issue is that the OEM hose has twice as long thread of the hose end on the master cylinder side.

The solution is custom made hose, I bought it from probrake (https://www.probrake.de/Custom-stee...-custom-made-according-to-your-specifications), made in Germany and certified by Dekra. Fitting types 551 and 553. The hose length 43cm.

To make sure it doesn't collide with the steering I made an extra bracket that holds it away from it.

YWF7Xdch.jpg

VvjDKCGh.jpg

PX2bcXUh.jpg

Brakes and clutch bled today, I was expecting that after replacing the brake master cylinder it will take a lot of fluid but bench bleeding it in advance helped a lot...just few bubbles and I was done.
Also attempt to start the car was done, but the battery is suddenly dead...falls below 6v while cranking :grrr:
So tomorrow again, new battery is on the way.

New battery has been installed, and after fixing some small issues with the oil pump not >priming<, the historic moment came...

FIRST START! IT'S ALIVE!!! :cool:

I can't even express how happy I am. I've also measured the compression and it's 8.5bar on all cylinders even before the rings are seated, so it should be even better later.

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pWL9-XnuNt4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First spring wash finally & more advanced test ride :-P
Oh...and by the way...it's for sale. I've got an irresistible job offer overseas...so everything has to go :aus: I'll make a proper selling ad later.

IG7fBWKh.jpg

cDdwYelh.jpg

z424Fcfh.jpg

KNfAOfah.jpg

Last edited:
New adventure

Congratulations with you new job overseas, Tomass. A new adventure. Wish you luck with selling your very nice car. Tempting offer. Pity you couldn’t enjoy all your effort a bit longer

Rijk

Thanks Rijk, yeah indeed. It's all about choices ;-) it's really fun to drive it even now though...hopefully this weekend I'll do the final boost adjustments :oogle:

In the meantime, alternator bearings became really noisy, so it sounded like a supercharged car. Brand new alternator installed and it's silent again :nod:

HFvZ5Uch.jpg

OAO6iySh.jpg

Some walkaround videos :-P

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Li8BWj9p4tY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cQ7vilI3UzY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Some driving around, boost still limited a bit while I am checking if everything behaves properly...:cool:

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Of_ul57I9M" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some driving around, boost still limited a bit while I am checking if everything behaves properly...:cool:

Nice,

Ik heb net een 960 gekocht met B204FT motor en met veel interesse heel dit topic doorgelezen.
Ik hoop jou te kunnen contacteren als ik aan de revisie van mijn motor begin, denk dat je veel info hebt! :cool:

Veel plezier nog met je 740, al is het misschien niet zo lang meer :-P
grts Gerrit

Back