• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 radiator in a crossflow 140

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
So, today the radiator in the 142 decided to stop cooperating.
I'm poor as f*$k, and I've read that I can make a 240 radiator fit.

Does anybody have any pictures or info? How do you mount it, as it seems there are no tabs like the 140 rad.

69645_W3.jpg

I did this last year. First I checked an all-metal rad and it was a little too wide to fit between the frame rails (just like I read on Tbricks). I then looked at a plastic-tank rad and noticed that one of the tanks tapers down toward the bottom, but had a reinforcing rib on the outside. After I cut off the rib, it fit between the rails.

After that, of course there were mounting issues to deal with. I don't have photos, maybe could get some tomorrow.

I looked into it as well, just chose to get mine recored. A local shop dropped in a nice 3 row brass radiator and put in a bung for a temp switch as well, for about $350. And, no plastic end tanks or aluminum cores.

I did this last year. First I checked an all-metal rad and it was a little too wide to fit between the frame rails (just like I read on Tbricks). I then looked at a plastic-tank rad and noticed that one of the tanks tapers down toward the bottom, but had a reinforcing rib on the outside. After I cut off the rib, it fit between the rails.

After that, of course there were mounting issues to deal with. I don't have photos, maybe could get some tomorrow.

This would be greatly appreciated.

Here they are

In the first one you can see the taper in the tank and, if you look closely, the cut off rib. It is a little obscured by the foam I put on to keep it from getting banged around.

The second one shows the bracket up top, with more foam. The last one shows the little pan with bolt to fit the bottom grommet.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
Back