• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

kjet fuel line replacement options

cmarquise

I just finished an overhaul on my 1982 244 b21f kjet which included cleaning the fuel distributer, new Dave Barton wiring harnesses, water pump,. oil separator etc. When I went to start it the line that runs between the distributer and the fuel pressure regulator had cracked and leaked everywhere. What are my options to quickly find line to replace this? Is there nylon fuel line out there I can put the existing banjo barbs on? Are there other replacement options? I'm desperate to get this car back up and running.

Thanks for the quick response. There is nothing written on the line to indicate size, but from my digital calipers it looks like 5mm OD and 3.5 ID. It's a short line, I only need to make a line about a foot long, so allowing for screw ups I need 5-10 ft. If there is a common local source for it (NAPA, Advance Auto), that is preferred, but something tells me that I'll have to order it.

The line that cracked is the one on top of the CIS with the other banjo bolt on the other end right next to the cold start injector. The nylon line inside the rubber protective cover has a large crack. It looks like a large line, but the nylon line itself is small.

28021689918_d42f08eebd_z_d.jpg

Volvo sells the nylon line by the meter. I have a length that I'll cut and pro rate for you or you can buy it right from Volvo which might take a week or 2.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-pipe-946233

Take care not to damage the barbs on the fittings. Score the nylon tube with a razor blade but don't cut all the way through to the barb. Then bend the tube with the fitting and the score should split open. If you scratch the barbs with the razor, they may not seal.

I still don't have any real answer to this. I did find a stainless hose built for a VW CIS system
here, but VW didn't use a banjo fitting into the distributor. There was an adapter to connect this hose. Does anyone know if this will work or what adapter I need to make the connection?

What kind of fitting is at the end of the hose for the VW cpr? If it is a free turning straight fitting. Then you can get a metric banjo fitting for the cpr that has a threaded inlet the same size as the fitting on the line.

I'm waiting confirmation from the dealer that the part # I posted is for bulk fuel line. It's not listed in any of the catalogs as a fuel line but I'm 99.9% positive that it's the right stuff. I have a piece here and it's thick wall tubing.

I have the hose assembly the op needs but its on my injector test rig so I'd rather not sell it.

Further investigation revealed that part # 964234 is a larger diameter plastic pipe used for high pressure fuel (among other things) so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 964233 is also high pressure pipe. Besides, I know I've used this stuff to repair fuel lines in the past. The op pointed out to me in PM that it's listed as vacuum hose so I wanted to be sure.

Another option out there is the nylon fuel lines from this place: http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com
I think the owners had some health issues a while back. Not sure how his stock is and how fast he ships stuff out now. He was very quick with my order. I ordered all three sizes from him.
I ordered from them years ago when I redid the entire system on the 75. Sold per meter just like Volvo.

Thanks for all of the replies. I know most people wouldn't put the time, effort of money into this system on this car, but it's a challenge and learning experience to me at this point so I'm going to get it working, drive it for a year or so and think about a turbo swap.

Buying the line as the original part or from unobtanium would be the cheapest fix, but I'm paranoid that I nicked the barbed fitting when I took them off and I would have an issue with the seal. I think the easiest fix would be the braided VW line that I can get new for 35 dollars. The VW setup looks like this
40118633400_a628de1b92_z_d.jpg

You can see that all fittings are banjo, just like the Volvo except for 5, where it's a threaded fitting with a connecting piece. The connection I need is on the distributor on the right here, but not on the left
41926110001_933788387e_z_d.jpg

I think the fitting here might be the right one, but it's so hard for me to know thread sizes etc when nobody posts them. If this works then I don't need to worry about methods to insert possibly faulty barbed banjo fittings.

Here are the different sizes and kind of connectors that we encountered when we redid the 75 kjet system.

6TJFSxy.jpg

I don't remember if the qty was for a complete redo with new connectors or what I think it was mostly getting connectors that where rusted on my car... its been a while. But the thread sizes and hose sizes are listed. I believe the cpr from distributor is like an m10 banjo with the small 5mm hose barb. This was on the 75. so it had a lot less fittings than other cars. For example, there is no frequency valve on my car.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the replies. After some research and a few failed attempts to get the existing barbs on a piece of the old line I bought a new braided stainless line meant for the same connection in a VW CIS system. I needed to track down the right 8mmx1.0 to 12mmx1.5 connector, but I think I have what I need. I should have the parts this week and I'll update on how the setup works. Thanks.

Statistically,
Send: 8mm banjo/eye fitting -> 3mm ID line -> 10mm banjo/eye
Return: 8mm banjo/eye -> 2mm ID line -> 8mm banjo/eye.

All threads are the same throughout all distributors/cpr. Your easiest/cheapest bet is used/junkyard as new fittings are pricey... If not, unobtainium does have fuel line and limited selection of fittings, or these places have large selection of fittings however I have not ordered from them before.

http://www.dssales.net/CIS.html
https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-c-14/?zenid=t6k0big3ljsqd86mgau6v1ig82

Fitting fuel lines on fittings is tricky, even more so with the braided lines. Unobtainium also sells a tool which can make the process a little easier.

I got around to replacing the fuel line that broke. When I started the car for the first time there were no fuel leaks, but the car is idling very roughly at 5-6k rpm. My first guess is a vacuum leak somewhere. The cold start injector seemed to fit loosely when I put it in. When I took it out there is a rubber o ring, but no other seal. There also wasn't a gasket between the cold start injector and the intake manifold so I didn't add one. Is a rubber o ring the only seal for that injector on a B21f k jet? If it's not that, I guess I'm going to start other places looking for vacuum leaks.

Back