• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 240 Rear Main Seal oil additives?

Jressman

I get about a quarter size oil drop from the trans passenger side bellhousing when the car sits overnight. I?m almost positive it?s the rear main seal. I?m in the process of moving to a house with a garage later this summer where I plan on pulling the engine/trans and replacing the rear main seal and oil pan gaskets along with maybe a fresh head gasket. I?m wondering if a short term solution would be some oil additive to swell the rear main seal and slow or temporary stop the leak. I replaced my flame trap when the valve cover gasket leaked this winter, now it?s leaking from between the engine/trans. Has anyone had any sort or luck with these seal conditioners?

Are you sure it's coming from the rear main seal? It could be the cylinder head plug leaking and running down the engine. Suggest you make sure the breather box on the side of the block under the manifold is clear and make sure the drain hose under it is clear. Use a mirror to get a good look at the plug on the back of the head. You can also add uv dye and use the led pen and glasses to trace where it's coming from.

With a cold engine, run your fingers behind the back of the head and check for oil leaks. An inspection mirror and good flashlight helps a lot too.

There is no magic in a bottle.

Oh really?

mechanic-in-a-bottle-oils-lubricants-additives-2-004-1-64_1000.jpg

Don't be too sure.:roll:

meh not much will help.. i actually had a lumina that was leaking oil and the trans was slipping... i as a test dumped every bottle of hope in that just to see if anything helped stop and slow any of it.. the only product that made any difference what so ever was the Lucas trans stuff. it looks like 90 weight atf and the slipping stopped for a few months.... but nothing stopped any of the oil leaks

Back