• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 New 1982 245! Initial Q's and Calling All LH1.0 Experts-

zeeko

EDIT:

It looks like I REALLY don't know how to internet. Added photos below, and Imgur gallery is here: https://imgur.com/a/RrLwN

Hey all-

It's been quite a while since I've been here, but I picked up (and drove 90 min home) a 1982 245 with LH1.0 with an m46 in excellent condition (for Minnesota). It looks like it hasn't really been driven much in quite some time, and certainly has a couple vacuum leaks, but upon getting it back to my house, I realized it has some pretty unique ignition/parts characteristics... I definitely have some initial questions (see below).

My goal on this one at the very least is to get it in excellent running shape and see what kind of mpg I can get out of it as this is supposedly one of the the fuel sipperiest version of a 240, and in the meantime get a good TB project/build thread going as there is just NOT a lot of info out there on these vehicles- even for simple things like finding the correct injector seals and accelerator cable.

Initial questions (see photos below for reference):

Electrical:

1. Harness: It looks like the engine harness (injector wires aside) is in pretty decent shape- it certainly doesn't look like it's biodegrading (and may have been replaced at some point), but the harness from the connector on the firewall to the cabin (perhaps in the cabin), looks like absolute crap as you can see from the photo. There's a rumor that LH1.0 was made with a non-biodegradable harness- is it true?

2. Mystery parts: I have a weird capacitor looking thing near the coil with 1 wire coming out- haven't traced where the wire goes yet, but does anyone know what this part is? How bad does my coil look on a scale of 1-10?
Additionally, there is an odd black box mounted on a valve cover bolt that has a few wires running out, a cap, and 3 female connectors underneath... WTF is it?! And what is the silver box mounted next to the battery?

3. Chrysler Ignition- it SEEMS to be working (hell, it got me home), but it sounds like swapping out the distributor (currently the white Chrysler cap setup) to a Bosch Breakerless is a good idea? Can anyone provide the correct part number for the distributor I need? Additionally, do I just need to track down a rectangular pigtail from Barton ( I imagine there is a round connector on it) and splice it onto my harness, pop the vacuum hose on and BAM, or is there a little more involved (timing, ecm, etc)? Do I keep the Chrysler Black Box with this setup or do I switch it out to... something else? Do I also have an LH box in the pax feet area? It's a bit confusing as to what exactly the box is doing.

4. Setting the Idle- I plan on going through the vacuum system, putting on new hoses, cleaning out the IAC/TB etc, but it looks like the PO already swapped out the AMM to an 002 (I believe LH1.0 typically has an 001, but the 002 is an 'acceptable' swap from what I've read) and likely messed with the adjuster screw... Does anyone have good words of wisdom or a link for setting the idle back to where it needs to be on LH1.0?

5. LH1.0 Misc Part Rarity- It looks like there are more than a few oddball parts on this beast- that vacuum switch on the firewall, coldstart injector, the Chrysler box, a thermal time switch and even the fuel rail and IAC hoses (perhaps the IAC itself)... Should I be keeping an eye out for these things/stocking up? Are any of them especially prone to fail?

6. Is it really true that disconnecting the Black Chrysler box will kill it???

7. Is there an easy way to remove the square types of connectors on the injectors, etc? I used a tiny screwdriver to basically move the paperclip wire out of the connector- it wasn't easy even on a very accessible part.

8. Vacuum diagrams- I have this faint feeling the PO might not have hooked the vacuum hoses up correctly (throttle body has a completely open nipple- no hose in sight) and the diagram under the hood looks to be more of a... guideline. I was hoping the LH 1.0 green book would be more helpful in this area, but it is not... Are there any good guides/sketches out there?

If you can help answer any of these, it would be greatly appreciated and will certainly be going into the build thread. Thanks!

Photos!

The Car:
zRdS2p6l.jpg

tmp7wVWl.jpg

Coil + Weird Capacitor Thing:

SSlkBZzl.jpg

Silver box next to battery (also rotting cable)

O9RmOR9l.jpg

Rotting Harness going into Firewall:

neay6tMl.jpg

Black Box:

25eS2Fvl.jpg

Ns6py0Al.jpg

Female Connector Thing Mounted on Valve Cover bolt:

coCW4Cml.jpg

z6XiVKQl.jpg

FPR:

P7we6wdl.jpg

My Nasty Injector Wires (I just replaced the hoses and seals) :

Nb8TyQ1l.jpg

Last edited:
403. That?s an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL [photos] from this server.

Forbidden That?s all we know

Ha! Well, I suppose some photos might actually help. Thank you for pointing it out. I was able to see them, but only because I was logged into the private account where I had originally hosted them. :rofl:

6. Not usually, sometimes yes.

7. Grab the black plastic firmly and jiggle it until it releases. Works 9 times out of 10.

8. There is supposed to be a vacuum line diagram sticker in your engine compartment. Either on the underside of the hood or on the front slam panel. If it is missing, Dave Barton may have one on his site that you can look at.

2. capacitor.....coil

Mickey Mouse may have been there...ohm spec coil.

3. correct part number for the distributor I need?

I'll look thru PDFs I have, but I recall this tidbit info was in a Volvo manual

4. Setting the Idle-

Yes, the Volvo way...RTFM

6. Black Chrysler box

Be gentle...in Volvo manual, they wanted it (plug, iirc) replaced....Be gentle...

7. injectors

I use my fingers and squeeze inward...no tools required...squeeze in, wiggle out

I'll look around for that info later today...busy now!

I had this exact model, only in that Volvo beige color for many years. I also wanted to dump the white cap distributor/Chrysler ignition, but my set up had the wrong connector. I eventually decided it was not worth the hassle, I just ran with the white cap. The cap is crappy so I changed it a bit more often, I think they were made by the Italian guys, Facet. Otherwise, other than the decaying wires, the thing ran happily to ~225K miles before I moved it off the premises. LH1 is unique, but I never had any real issues with it.

There is a Bosch distributor that was made to replace the white cap Chrysler unit. It has the correct round plug to fit the harness.

IMG_1105.jpg

Back