• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slammed to lifted 740 wagon

I love hooning around in this car. It rides nice and gets even better looks. When Josh gets a LM7 put into it, it will be the most nonsensical car ever.

edit: it needs 3-4 times the power, only complaint, it's slow as balls. Slower than a n/a 240.

Mine is still going strong... sort of... Had a blown headgasket for some years that gave up totally now so put a lightly ported 531 top with a VX3 cam on. Now I need a bigger turbo which can cope with the higher revs it makes, and then I probably need a stronger clutch too.

Now if I could only figure out what to do about my horrible looking bumpers!

Cutting boards may be? I bought 4 green ones myself from IKEA which I'm going to put on some day, ripped my left front mud flap off when reversing out in the terrain and it got stuck between the wheel and a rock.

Here is my 1989 745 on 205/75R15 Grabber AT2's. Had to bang the strut perch up (rubbed) but plan on cutting/welding it up higher and lifting the rear up.

I'd say this is the largest tire you can go without doing virtually any modifications to the front strut perches (aside from a little bit of time with a 8lb sledge). Tire diameter is 27.4".

If you can weld I would say lengthening the struts like I and Rectilinear did is easiest and the best way for keeping the performance and don't top out the shocks so easy using the same springs. Then simply put two hockey pucks as spacers on top of the rear springs.
And remove the front spoiler so it will look much higher ;-)

Here's a pic from last winter, looks so wrong with the original size tyres on :-P

Hey guys, still haven't made much headway on getting my hands on a v70XC. I REALLLLLLY want to lift a v70r AWD. That would make people howl!

BUT, I have been toying with the idea of testing out some of my suspension ideas on my 96 850t. I'm still gonna go with the XC90 struts and jeep springs on the front, I just don't really know what to do about the rear? I'm fairly sure that the mounting of Procomp style shock won't work on the p80 platform. One interesting thing I've seen is that mounting brackets from the rear shocks on Subaru Foresters and Outbacks look very similar. Not only that, they make some delrin body spacers that look like they may fit as well!

Any ideas?

Hey guys, still haven't made much headway on getting my hands on a v70XC. I REALLLLLLY want to lift a v70r AWD. That would make people howl!

BUT, I have been toying with the idea of testing out some of my suspension ideas on my 96 850t. I'm still gonna go with the XC90 struts and jeep springs on the front, I just don't really know what to do about the rear? I'm fairly sure that the mounting of Procomp style shock won't work on the p80 platform. One interesting thing I've seen is that mounting brackets from the rear shocks on Subaru Foresters and Outbacks look very similar. Not only that, they make some delrin body spacers that look like they may fit as well!

Any ideas?

Why don't you make your own thread?

Haha, thanks! I am planning to add some to the fronts as well. Bet you can't guess what I made them out of.... :oops:

Now if I could only figure out what to do about my horrible looking bumpers!

Looks good with the white omegas. If you don't want to bother painting the bumpers, there's a black dye called Forever Black that works great and lasts really well.

I gotta admit, I wish these lifted beasts were modded turbos. Would love some hooning footage of them rooster-tailing with some sweet, sweet turbo/exhaust noises. Group G (grandpa) rallying...

Hey man, just get to work on it. Everyone is sweating each other lately.

I think that because of the nature of the rear suspension on your car, we are unlikely to have much experience to share with you to get it lifted. I think no matter what, you will end up with tons of positive camber in the rear, but I may be wrong.

Jump in and experiment with it and post it here if you don't want to start your own thread about it. I jumped in and basically hijacked this thread when I lifted my wagon so no worries.

You are venturing where very few would care to venture, but I for one am very curious about how you execute it and how you like the results. Therefore, take lots of pics!!

Now, get to work!

Nice! Are you starting a new thread for that? If so, let me know!
In the meantime, my wagon just pulled a Ford truck out of an icy ditch on my way home from work. Love this damn car.

No kidding, about a month ago, I pulled a 2500hd that ran out of gas. If I find a white Dodge extended cab to tow, I can complete my Big 3 rescue trifecta.

0cf8875a5eda11e3942d12c36745260f_8.jpg

Had a minor setback this morning....

Never heard it blow out, but it started acting odd as if someone was hitting the brakes:

picture.php

And when I got to the tire shop, they found this inside the tire:

picture.php

This is officially the second large drill bit my car has collected since last year. The first one was an 18" masonry bit that wedged itself under the car right next to my fuel tank.

I just don't understand why they are attracted to this car!

Wow, this thread is awesome. These 945 Cherokees look like a lot of fun. It's uncanny how much they actually look like bizarro Jeeps when lifted on A/T tires. Original ZJ generation Grand Cherokee, perhaps, but out of proportion.

The LM7 will be great in that car I'm sure. Working on my own LM7 swap at the moment, but not in a Volvo :-D

Back