• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

Time for new tires, and the fronts seem to be wearing out quite a bit faster on the outside edges. The PO did provide some service records, and there were some issues with uneven wear with the front tires. He seemed to think it was just a Mazda6 thing, but I might as well take it in and check before I drop a grand on summers and winters.

I don't mind a bit of travel around the lower mainland.

I use West Coast Alignment since they had decent reviews, are really close for me, and are conveniently close to good coffee and craft beer. I've heard good things about Dales but I try to avoid Langley unless absolutely necessary.

Sounds like it's out of alignment alright. Might want to check the front end for issues too; no point doing a wheel alignment until after any repairs/new tires are done.

I've heard good things about Dales before, but apparently they aren't so good now. I've had a bad experience with them a couple of years back too, and so have a few of my customers more recently, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have these in the showroom:
A quarter million kilometers.
Dings in the doors and fenders.
Cracks in the instrument bezel.
Missing cigarette lighter.
Missing trim clips holding up the kick panel.
Black brake fluid.
Incorrect floor mats.
Worn out seat foam.
Broken map pockets (well some of them probably did break in the showroom...).
Dents in the brightwork.
Missing tranny dipstick?

Nice enough car, but if you claim it's "Showroom Condition" and put a showroom price on it -- a 245 cost less than twenty grand in 1990[1], then I'm going to get all nitpicky.

Even if you do get 400,000 km out of it, it's still 60% worn out.

[1] https://www.michigan.gov/documents/1990combca_19829_7.pdf

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 16 Valve - $1200

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1990-volvo-740-gle-16-valve/6667930734.html

00505_bgmaIZJKPEz_600x450.jpg

If that's the same white 16v that's been in and out of the shop by my work I'd say it's been pretty well gone over by now. Poor thing was there for about a month last time. The ads map shows a location about 4 minutes from the shop so I think it might be the same car. I saw them test driving a week or so ago and it sounded healthy and moved out nicely. If it was the same car.

Just looked at the ad again, it's the same car.

Last edited:
I have one here in NZ, highly recommended. Driving wise, it's the most fun of my 5 Volvos. Just add boost :-D Youtube video of what only a MIG locked diff did to the car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3wSdXyf9Q

Bone stock auto with worn out shocks and stock 4.1 rear, bar the diff being welded! :-D

Has a G80 in it now, which isn't great, but better than nothing, just.

So this just happened this afternoon. 5 ton truck doing about 30-40. We were sitting still in traffic, saw him coming in the rear view, and then BAM.

Car is obviously a total loss due to old rusty 240.

I'm bummed, but really it was a rust bucket I was only hanging onto because it was a $200 car that gave me no grief for 2 years.
After 2 years I did give it a new drive train, not cause it was worth it, just cause i liked it.
Oh well, on to the next.

This happened as we are trying to move over to the island for mid September, wife got a job offer shes gotta take. This will complicate things slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180831_160556.jpg
    IMG_20180831_160556.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20180831_160605.jpg
    IMG_20180831_160605.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 68
Yes, SE. From Northport Connecticut originally, Melvyn Goldman was the op. I googled the ops address, it was swanksville. Car had a good life. How it ended up here I don't know. Thank you Volvo, good times were had by all.

So while I was on the phone with ICBC I went on CL to look for a new ride.
Third posting was this 945t, $400 at a little used volvo/subaru lot. looked reasonable from the one picture.
Got off the phone and jumped in a cab to go check it out.
Arrive at shop, so far so good.
PO bought a new ride from them and didnt want this one anymore. They dont want it cause they dont really mess with RWD anymore. PO signs it over and leaves, says he'd be happy with four hundred.

So for four hundy I got me a typically roached 945t with 415 kms on the clock.
No piston slap, no strange noises at all really. Engine pulls well, much better with the boost leaks sealed up. A bit of oil spotting out back, turbo seals maybe?
No major dings, paint faded to crayola color that 601 red always gets.
Interior is okay leather, drivers seat is garbage but the rest are nice.

This is the fourth red volvo in a row. I am not trying to do this, I dont even like red.
Damn things just keep popping up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_112929.jpg
    IMG_20180901_112929.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 182
Oh man, that's a bummer.

Glad to hear everyone is okay.

ICBC will probably sell it back to you for about $250, well worth
it, at least if you are planning on getting another one, or are
willing to sell some parts.

Too bad it happened during a move, but at least you are moving to
a great place, I'm a little jealous.

edit:
Just saw the new ride, Nice! way to bounce back.

Back