• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

So I spent more time than I’d like setting up the efan and radiator mounts, but it’s solid and incorporated into a 740 shroud for easy removal (2 bolts and shroud and fan come out as one). Should do the job. The fan was in the car and activated by a dash switch when I got it. I repurposed it since it works, fits well and should do the job. It’s a single speed unit.

I used custom nuts I ground down to fit the fan mounts and stainless bolts with spacers cut from pex tubing and semi-permanent loctite on the threads.

Some underbody shots; new fuel pump (both wires leading to it were bare and shorting out)

Rotated the band clamp for clearance

My friend Alejandro (Slicknerd) came over and we worked on his 244 a bit

Had to take some stuff apart and painstakingly label everything!

The ac condenser in the new unit is original but sound. Someone ran dye through the system and this has no leak! I cleaned it thoroughly and I’m running it!

So I sourced a 92 ac system from my friend Ian! Included the newer firewall pan for the evaporator lines, switch, wiring and relay, lines, condensor, pusher efan and wires, evaporator, compressor and mounts!

Just went thru this whole thread- unbelievable attention to detail and great work. One question: do you have a regular 'job' and do you ever sleep? LOL
I know this build has taken place over almost three years, but it is a ton of work, plus you're also swapping engines, etc. on other cars at the same time.
Anyway...I'm impressed!

Thank you! I want this build to be the best I can make it since it’s such a rare car. I do get sidetracked by other demands (car repairs for the family/friends, other projects, volunteering, etc). I appreciate your kind words as I get feeling I’m not doing enough at times! That said, as I look back at 2018, I rebuilt two p2 Volvo’s, a fishing boat and a 23’ camper! So the 242 was a bit neglected over the year. My goal now is to get it out of the garage by Spring of this year...

Are you planning on using the 4.10 ring and pinion in this car? Assuming you want this to be a street car, I'd recommend not going any shorter than 3.73 if you're pairing it with a M46, M47, M90, getrag 265 or other similarly-geared transmission.

You’re right! I’ve had several folks advise me not to run it as I’m running an M46 so will likely retain the original 3:73 gearset. I respect your knowledge and advice (and your build) thank you!

Good call! I think the 3.73 is a great match for a mild b230f(+)t and m46 setup.

Good luck getting it finished up and getting it out on the road. You're really close.

Back