• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

VOLVO 940 b200ft upgrades

lolodibo

hello turbobrikiens, greetings from Portugal!!!!!
im a prod owner of a volvo 940 b200ft with a m46 transmition
I would like to make some changes to my Volvo, but only after the transmission can handle.
I'm thinking of staying for 200-250 :-P
I was searching here in your forum and my model of car with this engine has little information ....
I know that with the original turbo I get up to 15 psi:oogle: but I was willing to buy a new turbo .... and in relation to cam? and the clutch is worth making changes?
I want to make some changes but without spending a lot of money and also have to take into consideration that in portugal it is illegal to make changes ... but **** them ..:cool::lol:
I am open to all your opinions and please tell me what parts to buy and tips
thank you all :volvo:
:cheers:

You have a b230ft, this forum is basically dedicated to that engine. Fortunate for you, everything that you need has already been done, documented, and ready for your disposal.

So yourself a favor and search for what you need with the key words "b230ft" or "Volvo 940/240" and you can find what people have done

well i was right than....can anyone help me on b200ft?
isnt this a volvo forum?
thx

Last edited:
We have the B200FT here in the UK also. I think your market is mostly B200 and rare to get a B230. In the UK its 50/50 more or less.

To keep things looking as original as possible I would suggest 850T5 turbo, bigger injectors and something like a stage 2 or 3 cam along with chips for the ECU's

sound perfect!!! what about the clutch? I happen to have to replace it ... do you advise any of them in particular or leave the original?
sorry the stage 2 or 3 cam? can you tell me more about that? and chips can you advise some?
im new to the volvo world sorry:oops:
cheers thanks a lot for you help

sound perfect!!! what about the clutch? I happen to have to replace it ... do you advise any of them in particular or leave the original?
sorry the stage 2 or 3 cam? can you tell me more about that? and chips can you advise some?
im new to the volvo world sorry:oops:
cheers thanks a lot for you help

You're clutch should be OK. Dont drop it.
Yoshifab.com has great clutch upgrades if you blow one.

For the chips, you'll need a chipped ECU if you want to run high boost. If not, stock boost should be ok.

Gutted airbox, chips (or megasquirt EFI), camshaft, reclocked 15G turbo, manual boost controller, 3" downpipe to stock exhaust, ebay intercooler (painted black!) And 940 TDI clutch if your turbo clutch starts to slip.

hi guys !!
I did not find a camshaft for the b200 just for the b234 ...
Do you know of a website that sells?
my lambda sensor is broken i gess...my light panel is on....do i have to change the lamba setup for the upgrades or do i start searching for a new lambda sond?
cheers

the camshaft is not the first thing you should think of when tuning your engine. Your engine is a 2.0L , it needs all the low rev pulling power it can get. Adding a hot cam will push the powerband higher up in the rev range. A B200FT with a hot cam will feel lame and flat in the low revs.

The chips, the 15G , the boost controler and 3"downpipe are enough to get to your power goals.
If your engine already has the green or light-green (305cc/min@3bar) turbo injectors then your fuel system is probably OK for your power goals.

In case of a check engine light check for errors. There is a small black box near the driverside shock tower , it has a 'pigtail' hanging from it. This box is used to access flashcodes. Each LED-flashcode has a certain meaning , it points to errors or broken parts.
Search this site and learn how to use this diagnostic tool and how to interpret the flash codes and their meaning.

Last edited:
hi guys !!
I did not find a camshaft for the b200 just for the b234 ...
Do you know of a website that sells?
my lambda sensor is broken i gess...my light panel is on....do i have to change the lamba setup for the upgrades or do i start searching for a new lambda sond?
cheers

The light with the lambda symbol is lighting up on the instrument panel?
This is just a general "check engine" light, it does not necessarily mean your lambda sensor is toast. Try reading which fault code you have.

As for cheap power: a bigger mitsu, downpipe, chips and mbc will already make it nice to drive. Your stock injectors should be fine for running 1 bar on a 15g. fyi cams for b230 and b200 are the same. Although I agree with Janspeed it is not what you should be spending money on right now.

thank you guys
I'll search more about flash codes and expose here what I can read
I've been searching for more about my gearbox and it's not enough for the power that I'm going through ..... it looks like I need a gearbox m90
Anyone from the forum have any for sale?
cheers guys

they were only available in the turbo cars (LPT (B230FK-engine) and HPT (B230FT-engine) from 1995 upto 1998. Many of those cars had automatic gbox. That means that M90 cars are not easy to find.
If you do find such a car you also need the dual mass flywheel, the pressureplate, throw out bearing, the friction disk and the shifter+linkage).

they were only available in the turbo cars (LPT (B230FK-engine) and HPT (B230FT-engine) from 1995 upto 1998. Many of those cars had automatic gbox. That means that M90 cars are not easy to find.
If you do find such a car you also need the dual mass flywheel, the pressureplate, throw out bearing, the friction disk and the shifter+linkage).

hi
do you think my m46 transmition can take 200-250 horse power?
i read some were here in this forum that its a no go:e-shrug:

The m46 should handle 250 hp just fine. Volvo used the m46 in the 190 hp 960 2.0 16v turbo and 200 hp 740 2.0 16v turbo's. I am sure there's some margin build in.

250 whp or 300 hp is another story.

Above 300 hp i'd use an m90 for sure.

Last edited:
hi guys

I just did the tests and gave the code:
131 module 2
231 module 6
312 module 2

and now my volvo does not start looks like gasoline pump
Needs lots of love.
Can you help me with the codes?

131 bad rpm sensor.
231 fuel trim too lean or to rich at part load.
321 signal missing for knock related fuel-enrichment.

Replace the VR-sensor behind the block/on top of the gearbox.
Replace knock senor / check for wiring break between EZK terminal 4 and EFI #28.

www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html
thank you so much
I'm going to test this and then I'll come and talk about the results.

cheers :gulp:

Back