• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strut Bearing Failing?

Tie rod looks trashed.

I did a steering rack a while back that came with INNER tie rods but for some reason I didn't do outers. The one that's making noise has mainly up and down play instead of the normal side to side play.

Anyway, is meyle still an a-okay replacement? Anything but scan tech?

I did a steering rack a while back that came with INNER tie rods but for some reason I didn't do outers. The one that's making noise has mainly up and down play instead of the normal side to side play.

Anyway, is meyle still an a-okay replacement? Anything but scan tech?

OE VOLVO , TRW or MOOG usually the best bets for outer tie rods

Installed the moog brand tie rod ends and WOW. Much better. No pop while turning the steering wheel and the noise over bumps is much quieter. There's still a small bump but it's probably a strut or ball joint.

So I was getting another clunk on this same car, drivers side again. Been ignoring it for way too long and just now got the chance to take a look. Inner tie rod is shot.

I had just replaced this steering rack, which came with new inner tie rods, 2 years ago.

I am concerned because come to think of it, this car has been in an accident on the drivers side. The fender is all caved in and it has a 'new' Volvo control arm installed. So I'm wondering if something could be tweaked causing premature failure of parts? On this side alone I have had to replace outer tie rod, ball joint, and now inner tie rod. Hopefully it's just all coincidental.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dr3Uj38QSQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/90OoByz_Tmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back