• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Motor vibration

paul harriott

I swapped in a 100k mi B230 motor, (I estimate 1991)for my ailing 1988 motor. It was an automatic so I used the flywheel from my pulled motor. Now I have a pretty strong vibration at 2500 rpm. I can even feel it if I rest my hand on the valve cover at idle. Also used a new clutch. Could this be due to the flywheel? I thought they were separately balanced?

Flywheels are neutrally balanced and can be installed in any orientation (unless you're using LH2.4).

Did you install a pilot bearing in the back of the crank?

maybe also check the vibration dampener pulley at the front of the crank? They tend to fail when they get old.

I did use a pilot bearing and the damper looked rusty but ok. I scraped off the rust and painted it. Is it obvious when they are not good? I did compression test, all were at 150, leak down showed #3 20% less than the rest but all sound like they are firing. I got a Sachs clutch, I guess these are normally balanced too?

When the engine is running can you see the damper outer ring moving at all? Usually they start to "slip" when they go bad and the outer ring rotates (which means the timing mark is off).

It is possible (although not that likely IMHO) that your new clutch was a bit off balance. It is always recommended to balance the flywheel+PP as a unit before installing, although most people don't and it is usually fine.

I will check for crank pulley slip with a strobe. I did find that my lower ac compressor bolts were loose and tightening them helped a lot. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back