• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canyoneagle's 1979 245

I definitely want to do a carb/cam swap at some point - been watching your project with keen interest!
Maybe we can get a Triangle area cars -n- coffee meet soon to get a closer look :cool::nod:

That would be awesome! I just got mine plated today, won't make it to the cars and coffee in Moorisville tomorrow morning, but hopefully the next one.

That would be awesome! I just got mine plated today, won't make it to the cars and coffee in Moorisville tomorrow morning, but hopefully the next one.

Is there a site for the cars n coffee group?

It would also be cool to do a Volvo only group meet locally - I will post in the NC Chat thread to see if there is any interest.

Just on Facebook. "Cars and Coffee Moorisville", then theres others in the area like Wake Forrest, Smithfield, probably one around every saturday of the month. I think theres a RDU Volvo gathering at Brixx Pizza near the airport next Saturday the 9th

Just on Facebook. "Cars and Coffee Moorisville", then theres others in the area like Wake Forrest, Smithfield, probably one around every saturday of the month. I think theres a RDU Volvo gathering at Brixx Pizza near the airport next Saturday the 9th

cool,
I'll see if I can find it on FB (I deleted my FB account years ago, but imagine I can view public pages).
Would the RDU Volvo get together be part of that group, or is it a separate group?

The next project on my list is a complete driveline rebuild - U-joints and center support bearing/donut. I just ordered the parts this morning and will use this as incentive to get some sort of workbench in place this weekend.

I checked everything out when I was doing the shifter bushings, and everything is due. Lots of U-Joint play, and a completely crushed support donut. No surprise - I can feel the slop in the drivetrain when I drive - particularly when accelerating.

In the mean time, I think I will tackle removing the titanium bolts from the Style 42's.

The next project on my list is a complete driveline rebuild - U-joints and center support bearing/donut. I just ordered the parts this morning and will use this as incentive to get some sort of workbench in place this weekend.

I checked everything out when I was doing the shifter bushings, and everything is due. Lots of U-Joint play, and a completely crushed support donut. No surprise - I can feel the slop in the drivetrain when I drive - particularly when accelerating.

In the mean time, I think I will tackle removing the titanium bolts from the Style 42's.

That's on my list as well, I can really feel driveline vibration under acceleration and the support donut is cracked. I am curious how you'll fare with removing the driveshaft...I couldn't remove the 4x driveshaft bolts at the diff last time I tried...too much corrosion. Might need to try an impact or get out the cutoff wheel.

That's on my list as well, I can really feel driveline vibration under acceleration and the support donut is cracked. I am curious how you'll fare with removing the driveshaft...I couldn't remove the 4x driveshaft bolts at the diff last time I tried...too much corrosion. Might need to try an impact or get out the cutoff wheel.

Yup, I'm going to wire brush and use the impact gun.
I am considering ordering new bolt/nut sets from IPD and just replacing the old with new.

Welp, time to get another set of wheels.

:-D

Speaking of wheels, what did you end up doing to fit your style 42's? I assume you are running 225/45 17's.

I'm thinking 20mm spacers and fender rolling should do it, but would like to hear anything you encountered in your application.

FWIW I will probably do a minor drop - IPD or H&R sport springs.

Boring but beneficial maintenance this weekend. I rebuilt the driveshaft - 3 new U-joints, center bearing, donut, spring and washer.

Two of the U-joints were a royal pain - one of them required grinding on the bases of the caps in order to pull them out once pressed. Pics:

Tight fit in the carport, with a new entryway/laundry room taking space:
Still have the WA plates - gotta get the title from the PO one of these days....

The basic setup for U-joint duty:

I had to grind the caps on one of the U-joints to remove them - no amount of PB Blaster and Vice Grip twisting was able to budge them. They popped right out after hitting them with an angle grinder.

Fresh U-joint.

:-D

Speaking of wheels, what did you end up doing to fit your style 42's? I assume you are running 225/45 17's.

I'm thinking 20mm spacers and fender rolling should do it, but would like to hear anything you encountered in your application.

FWIW I will probably do a minor drop - IPD or H&R sport springs.

20mm works on those wheels. Make sure to use the shortest lug nuts possible as the relief pockets on the wheels are large enough to clear studs, but not lug nuts.

As for lowering the car, make sure to at the very least get some adjustable torque and panhard rods to get the axle centered perfectly. The fender lips will need some pretty drastic cutting and rolling done also.

That should get you to clear. Since mine is so low, I needed to shorten the trailing arms by 15mm or so to eliminate any rubbing, and to re-center the axle in the well.

As for tires, these are 215/45R17s...they are a tiny bit shorter than a 225/45. That said, they are Federal 595s so they run rather large for their quoted size...contact patch is actually 15mm wider than the 225/50R17 Pilot Sport A/S3s in my Acura. Long story short there should be enough room for a 225/45 to clear.

20mm works on those wheels. Make sure to use the shortest lug nuts possible as the relief pockets on the wheels are large enough to clear studs, but not lug nuts.

As for lowering the car, make sure to at the very least get some adjustable torque and panhard rods to get the axle centered perfectly. The fender lips will need some pretty drastic cutting and rolling done also.

That should get you to clear. Since mine is so low, I needed to shorten the trailing arms by 15mm or so to eliminate any rubbing, and to re-center the axle in the well.

As for tires, these are 215/45R17s...they are a tiny bit shorter than a 225/45. That said, they are Federal 595s so they run rather large for their quoted size...contact patch is actually 15mm wider than the 225/50R17 Pilot Sport A/S3s in my Acura. Long story short there should be enough room for a 225/45 to clear.

Great info, thank you.

I picked up a small assortment of suspension bits from K-Jets and plan to do the DIY mods to the torque rods and panhard bar.

You mentioned cutting on the fenders - did you cut the inner lip, or do more extensive cutting? I'll dive into your build thread to see if the answers lie there. ;-)

Things are generally better with the driveshaft work done - sloppy tranny u-joint and mid support no more.

I am getting some vibration - low frequency. I suspect the rear diff u-joint, which was extremely stiff. I hope it will loosen as I drive it.

FWIW I made sure to align the marks (even made my own as a double check) when re-assembling the two halves of the driveshaft together.

Looks like I will need to re-do the rear U-joint. It is definitely binding, creating strong vibration when I drive. :grrr:

I suspect I may have slightly bent one of the ears - gonna pull the rear section and take a look. Ugh. That one was a real pain to do - the cups are REALLY tight inside the ears. Maybe they will be easier this time around.
At least I can just remove the rear section only and not worry about pulling the whole driveshaft.

3/16" A36 plate arrived today.
Gonna get started fabricating some seat brackets. Photos to come.

Edit:
ended up getting 16 gauge to work with. that 3/16 was overkill for the task.

Last edited:
Finally made a little progress this evening. It's been so damn sticky outside this Summer, so I've stayed inside.

I made the rough cuts and bends for the new seat brackets. I need to do 2 minor bends for the sloped rear mount, but will do that next time.

Away we go - 16 gauge cold rolled steel - MUCH better choice than the 3/16" I had originally chosen.

Rough cut brackets:

Initial bends for the rear outside mounts (topside down in this photo)

Next up is dry fitting and marking bolt holes, then prime, paint and install. :-D

Not much car action this Summer - great weather if you are a plant or mosquito, but not for people.

The Fall air is bringing me back out to the shop, and I finally got around to prepping for the suspension work.

I have started cleaning up the bits and pieces I got from K-Jets:
I've gotta run these to a local shop because I don't own a shop press to get the bushing sleeves out. Considering the hacksaw method.

A-Arms next.

I hope to get going with everything this weekend.

Back