• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Can someone take a peak under their hood for me and tell me where this is plugged.

Michael T

Bands make her Dance
20150107_112651_zps99254397.jpg

I would have to guess it is something for the ignition. It's been unplugged since I bought the car. Cars cranks and runs, but its missing and not idling great. I've done maintenance items that should of cleared this problem up but it hasn't so now I'm moving on to the mystery wiring I have around the engine bay.

I would have to guess it is something for the ignition. It's been unplugged since I bought the car. Cars cranks and runs, but its missing and not idling great. I've done maintenance items that should of cleared this problem up but it hasn't so now I'm moving on to the mystery wiring I have around the engine bay.

It isn't plugged into anything because it never was. It is a system test lead used to diagnose problems.

Looking at the picture 1 wire (white) isn't connected to coil and if all your electrical connections and grounds look that bad they all need to be cleaned up. Check for vacuum leaks(dry rot hoses)intake gasket,injector O rings.Check by spraying break cleaner on them but not on exhaust side.
I guess what we need to know is what have you done so far.
Charlie

Looking at the picture 1 wire (white) isn't connected to coil and if all your electrical connections and grounds look that bad they all need to be cleaned up. Check for vacuum leaks(dry rot hoses)intake gasket,injector O rings.Check by spraying break cleaner on them but not on exhaust side.
Charlie

I just ASSUMED that the OP had that (grey, not white) wire off in the pic, but, has it hooked up now. If not, that is the problem. That is what triggers the coil. It is coming from the ignition box and also goes back to the computer to turn on the fuel pumps via. an RPM signal. The engine won't even run if that wire is disconnected. If it is off and just resting against the coil terminal, that would cause the symptoms the OP is experiencing.

I have no idea what car the picture came from.

On my 1988 244 GL, a similar plug is the test point for the AMM adjustment and a ground that that closes down the IAC.

I have no idea what car the picture came from.

On my 1988 244 GL, a similar plug is the test point for the AMM adjustment and a ground that that closes down the IAC.
That's what I recall as well, from my '87. Back when it was stock, I used that method to set idle once.

I believe there was also a pink plug like that, which when grounded, would fry the ECU. It was meant for testing, but if not used properly, could do damage.

Read the manual before you ground any unused plug. ;-)

Charlie

I just ASSUMED that the OP had that (grey, not white) wire off in the pic, but, has it hooked up now. If not, that is the problem. That is what triggers the coil. It is coming from the ignition box and also goes back to the computer to turn on the fuel pumps via. an RPM signal. The engine won't even run if that wire is disconnected. If it is off and just resting against the coil terminal, that would cause the symptoms the OP is experiencing.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

I've done

Air Filter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Distributor cap

Most of the vacuum lines look redone to me. They are way too new looking to be original.

Back