• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tremac T5's

Boosted2003 said:
Ive been looking at them so many different types. They hold anywhere from 425 to 525 ft/lbs. Also their are ford and gm ones. Which one to use?

The TKO is the race unit, can be modded to handle more TQ & HP do a web search on it.

I had gotten a price of $1,690. for the full tilt version, then there is the scatter shield McLoyd?, then the hyd. throwout bearing, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, search from below:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/

Boosted2003 said:
Ive been looking at them so many different types. They hold anywhere from 425 to 525 ft/lbs. Also their are ford and gm ones. Which one to use?

I have the Ford flavor of Jerico box in mine.
The Ford flavor was used cuz it was soooo close to Volvo for the dimensions that mattered to me......Like the pilot bearing size.....Same.
The length of the input shaft worked out real well with the modified Volvo bellhousing.
Do get something with internal linkage rather then the POS external stuff.....The external stuff does not deal well with dirt.
JL.

Don't the Tremec T5's differ from the early Borg Warner one's???
I know that tremec know own the lot but I'm sure that there are some differences on the early ones.
Laters
Nick

Boosted2003 said:

I have one (TKO) in my Firebird, a very nice transmission. Short and precise throws. I've blown one 7.5" rear end with it so it takes some abuse. Requires good lubricants though.

As I understand it the difference between GM and ford trannies is some extra holes in bellhousing and some other minor changes for mounting. TKO has beefier output shaft. This transmission will go straight up versus BW T5 which is 23 degrees or so tilted. You should be able to bolt it in with KL racing's adapter. 3 different shifter locations IIRC.

Greetz, Riku

There is a Tremec T5 direct replacement...the 3550, it mates to the Ford T5 bell(I think)...not sure if thats actual useful information, but the standard Tremec has a different bellhousing pattern(as pointed out above I believe).

A company called G-Force has a kit(or a ready built) setup that uses standard B/W and Worldclass transmissions and puts new better internals. So you can use a standard Ford T5 casing with hella good internals.

mfpmax said:
A company called G-Force has a kit(or a ready built) setup that uses standard B/W and Worldclass transmissions and puts new better internals. So you can use a standard Ford T5 casing with hella good internals.

The problem with T5 is that the transmission case will flex and eventually deform letting the internals get out of alignment and get destroyed. Mine started to let go at ~300ft/lbs. I got my Tremec from Fortes http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec.html a long ago. You can get the KL adapter and GM version of TKO, proper clutch, transmission mount, driveshaft, clutchfork etc. and have almost bulletproof tranny if that's what you are after. My bet is M90 will be cheaper and less trouble in the long run if ~350hp is enough.

Greetz, Riku

I just wanted to reply to the post that postulated that a 3550 is a direct replacement for a T5. It is not. It requires a new bell housing and altered trans mount. It's also a good deal heavier than a T5 and some what bigger. As well, it doesn't shift as nicely....

Peter

Peter is right on, the 3550 is considerably larger and weighs about 45 pounds more than the T5. T5 weighs 75 lbs, the 3550 weighs 115-120 lbs depending on gearing.

Yes, to clarify this a bit.

Borg Warner made the T5 for a long time. At some point in the 1990s, Tremec bought the design for the T5 and is now the manufacturer of this transmission. This trans came in Ford Mustangs, Thunderbirds, and with different shafts, in Camaros too.

Now, the 3550 is also made by Tremec. It is a completely different transmission that is based on the old Ford Toploader design. But the 3550 has a 5th gear added. It is big, heavy, and pretty tough. It comes in a few flavors including the TKO that has heavier input and output shafts. The newer TKOs of the last couple years have been improved further with some case strengthening and other refinements to make them even stronger. They are someting like 450 ft-lbs rated now I think. I broke one, so I can tell more about their limitations if you like. But thats off the topic here. I don't think many 4 cylinder Volvos will be hurting this trans. This is strictly an AFTERMARKET transmission. Never came in a factory car that I know of. Not a high production car anyway. The rare Cobra R mustangs did run the original 3550. But there were only a few hundred of those made. It has the same mounting pattern as the old 4 speed toploader Ford, or SROD (4spd overdrive) transmission from the 70s and 80s fords. Not the same bellhousing as a T5. Close, but not exactly the same.

To add to what Quikswede was explaining, Tremec is basically Transmission Technologies of Me-he-co. The newer boxes that come in the V6 mustangs 99+ are good candidates with the exception that it'll require an electronic speed pickup. But despite that drawback, the V6 boxes are still rated at 330ft/lbs.. They come with better ratios than M90s and they have alot better aftermarket support. You'll also have to swap input shafts as well, but it's not to complicated, and if you use Dales kit, you'll basically have to do it anyway (almost)
If the T-5 isn't enough the 3550 is like Ken said, a much stronger unit, with it's shafts spaced further apart to give clearance for larger stouter gears. It was originally designed for use in pickups, behind the 351w.. But it ended up in a few choice mustangs and of course an off the shelf part for the aftermarket as the TKO.
I like the fact that I can pick from a large selection of parts when and if I have to rebuild a T-5, and they dont require a lot of special tooling to rebuild.

Back