• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 NA: Clean Slate for Something More?

I run "regular" 87 octane fuel in my 240 (b230) with the head shaved .040in and a B cam, and on stock lh2.4 management. WAY better than stock.
Total money invested would be about $200 to have a shop shave the head, gaskets, used B cam, and some shims. Takes about 4 weeks to do this the first time. I can now do head swaps (and set up a cam) in 3 hours while drinking beers.

Hello John V, outside agitator.

Was wondering, but

So, in light of this, I'm probably not too interested in anything beyond stock in this particular area for the time being. Could be on the table for later, if necessary. Indeed:

;-)

OK then. Now I don't know you and you don't know me so please don't get butt-hurt but (goddam I don't even know where to start)

"core reliability" whaddevar de fuq that is?
Nothing I might suggest will impinge on reliability..That goes without saying.. (And logically the same motors when turbocharged --making more heat, and stress (pressure) are as reliable as fawk----200-300k miles type reliability) and you won't be making near the heat, or pressure.
Non-issue

Computers ECU whatever: they're called collectively "engine management" for a good reason.. They "manage' what the sensors tell it the engine wants...They don't CHANGE what the engine wants...So if nothing in the engine is changed, like no different compression and camshaft, then the stock ECU and sensors and "stuff" does an amazingly wonderful job of managing what the engine "wants".

So if you're unwilling to take off 20-25 bolts and increase a basic fundemental factor in the equation---upping compression ratio and add a cam designed to make torque---ALL talk of computer and WM-einspritzung (wasser-metanol weisst du!) is just pissing in the sand.

Motors are motors: I think it was that brilliant Ruskie writer , yes Льва Толстого who said
"Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему."

I forget who it was who said "All happy motors are all alike, all unhappy motors are unhappy in their own ways"

(sopro tutto for a given fuel torque is largely engine volume x dynamic compression..

(somewhere somebody was fapping --as always about "blah blah flow blah blah flow flow" Don't be distracted, BS talk about flow is one thing: about max powerz, and nobody is talksing about MAX anything..Yours is a street/road car.. Also the guys blathering about flow ALWAYS neglect to imagine what happens AFTER the flow into the cylinder has flowed it:
You ignite it.
ALWAYS neglected by flow-fan-boys..
Its whataboutism and more fapping..)

So you can do whatever you want with your car...F88king around on external fluffery is fapping unless something mechanical has been changed to creat a different need that the original management cannot accommodate..

So. Good luck...:wave:

OK then. Now I don't know you and you don't know me so please don't get butt-hurt but (goddam I don't even know where to start)

"core reliability" whaddevar de fuq that is? [...] So. Good luck...:wave:

guethenoc.png

:roll:

It's true! 240s have a much larger aftermarket support base!

I suggest finding a clean 240 to start with (the more of the budget you spend on the car, the better), ipd cam, cut the springs, double up the sway bars, gut the interior, straight pipe it maybe put some X tape on the headlights.

Its definitely much larger, but the 7 series aftermarket is still pretty large. There's ample stuff for both 2/7 gens.

Thank you all for the insights.

@John V, outside agitator:
Tip: Get out of Seattle someday, if you can. Life can be good elsewhere. The wife and I cut and ran before the "mellow culture" mainstreamed there; best move we ever made.

Also loved California before it slipped into the drink. But truly, I digress...

We'll see about hitting higher compression numbers as it all develops. One thing at a time for now: haven't even committed to the car yet; taking a look this weekend. Surprising that the typical chemical dreck which passes for US pump gas nowadays can be burned in these engines beyond 10:1 without hitting massive continual spark retard; hence the H2O comment.

Also glad to have further input about these engines' overall durability in context with what's on the table here. The 230 must be well "overmade" throughout.

Glad the Regina system is quite usable and up to snuff as-is. You'd think it to be a plague the way some seem to consider it vs. the Bosch equivalent.

Cheers --

Finally, about those vendors/suppliers: Any favorites in the crowd?

Didn't make notes, but most I bumped into the past few days are .se on the web, and .se on delivery. For example, sent an email off to ACM asking details about a product & US delivery for their goods the other day; and got nothing back. Figured it might've been a language issue, but IDK.

Finally, about those vendors/suppliers: Any favorites in the crowd?

Well, this forum for starters has a ton of people with parts and whatnot, so definitely here. Skandix has tons of great parts but my #1 go to for things I cant get elsewhere form y 740 is SwedishCarParts.com

They are a Volvo parts and accessory company based out of Chicago with 3 warehouses FULL of everything you could need. Their factory is in Estonia where all their parts are made. Quality stuff at 1/3 the price of most competitors

If you want to get current quality prices order stuff from Hiperfromance Auto. Eric and Ian know what works, what doesn’t and where it’s worth it to save or spend more.

Back