• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Driveshaft halves installation (SOLVED)

If you look on diagram from hiperfauto your orientation looks close or same. In the diagram the arrow is in alignment w/ the rear bearing cup holder.

Were you ever able to find any stamping under the yellow paint ?

What a pile of **** these cars are.

Step away for a minute and call around to some driveline repair shops. Looks like it is time for some seasoned experts to get their hands on it.

First, try another "run" with the wheels/tires off, just to remove that variable.

If you look on diagram from hiperfauto your orientation looks close or same. In the diagram the arrow is in alignment w/ the rear bearing cup holder.

Were you ever able to find any stamping under the yellow paint ?
Neither of my 240s have arrows. That must?ve been an m46 thing??
Step away for a minute and call around to some driveline repair shops. Looks like it is time for some seasoned experts to get their hands on it.

First, try another "run" with the wheels/tires off, just to remove that variable.
Already did all testing yesterday without wheels/tires so I was able to remove that as a variable.
Did you knock the cups back against the circlips?
We went over this lol. I rested the c clips against the buckets, then slowly tapped each side of the ujoint down that way the clips would pop into place. So yes, all buckets are up against the clips.

So it?s essentially like a trial and error type of thing. Do you put the clamp on the front or rear shaft, and do you put it in the front, middle, or back of the shaft? I?ll try this today.

No, you are supposed to mark both halves BEFORE disassembly.

This has been mentioned here before.

Search, noob.

I've never, in 25 yrs of working on Volvos, seen anyone go two weeks without resolving this problem.

For what it's worth, I would have fired you last week.

Glad you got it fixed though.

We went over this lol. I rested the c clips against the buckets, then slowly tapped each side of the ujoint down that way the clips would pop into place. So yes, all buckets are up against the clips.

The method Redwood Chair mentioned is a little different lol. Let's see if I can explain it sufficiently:

Set one of the ears on a block of wood. Then whack the next section to it, near the u-joint, with a hefty rubber mallet. Hit straight downward. Do this for all 4 cups of each joint. Subtle difference to what you did, but this drives each cup slightly outward, contrary to what you did (knocked each cup inward.)

Just trying to share some of the trade secrets picked up over the years from the driveline guys. :nod:

I've never, in 25 yrs of working on Volvos, seen anyone go two weeks without resolving this problem.

For what it's worth, I would have fired you last week.

Glad you got it fixed though.
I didn?t fix anything except a bad u joint. Thanks for all of your helpful advice though.
The method Redwood Chair mentioned is a little different lol. Let's see if I can explain it sufficiently:

Set one of the ears on a block of wood. Then whack the next section to it, near the u-joint, with a hefty rubber mallet. Hit straight downward. Do this for all 4 cups of each joint. Subtle difference to what you did, but this drives each cup slightly outward, contrary to what you did (knocked each cup inward.)

Just trying to share some of the trade secrets picked up over the years from the driveline guys. :nod:

^^ Good advice. Though I wouldn't bet on it to make a difference here.
So are the buckets supposed to outwards towards the c clips? Because all 4 caps are touching the c clips.

No, you are supposed to mark both halves BEFORE disassembly.

This has been mentioned here before.

Search, noob.

No, it was a mechanic disassembling the shaft that knew what he was doing and used a punch or paint marker to mark the halves.

By the way neither of your posts make any sense and are irrelevant lol. People who work on an assembly line aren’t mechanics, for the record.

That's not how Volvogeorge Swift taught me to do it, but carry on since you know it all...

Oh and he is a mechanic, in fact he's an engine builder for Jay Leno now just FYI.

Is that not what you told me:roll:

And again, irrelevant post. What darkness said was stupid. It’s not a mechanic who assembled these cars from the factory.

This

Yes, I did.

Damn kid you're so stubborn you're almost stupid.

You stated you tapped them in until they CLEARANCED and the circlips popped in.

Clearance is a space however small...

Not knocked back tight against the clips to allow for proper articulation like I've been TRYING TO TELL YOU.

Damn kid you're so stubborn you're almost stupid.

You stated you tapped them in until they CLEARANCED and the circlips popped in.

Clearance is a space however small...

Not knocked back tight against the clips to allow for proper articulation like I've been TRYING TO TELL YOU.

Why didn’t you say that 77 posts ago Ken? And I’m not stubborn.

By the way neither of your posts make any sense and are irrelevant lol. People who work on an assembly line aren’t mechanics, for the record.

So, your Volvo is special huh?

Never had driveline work in 25 yrs?

Yeah right.

Is that not what you told me:roll:

And again, irrelevant post. What darkness said was stupid. It’s not a mechanic who assembled these cars from the factory.

So, I guess your 5.8 posts per day versus my 3 posts per year makes you an expert eh?

Back