• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

seafoam

weak-sauce

your thoughts on seafoam.? would you add to oil, fuel or both.? thinking about tossing in a bottle in my 88 240 n/a w/150xxx miles

not completely, if you suck a bottle of it through a vac line it will clean up some stuff. i've personally done it on a car that would not pass CO% emissions and as a last resort i tried seafoam and the car passed.

Can't tell you if it works or not. All I know is auto parts stores love to sell the **** out of it. From a sales standpoint they must be making a good turn on it.

i would say do it, put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and suck up the other 1/3 into a manifold vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, but do that part very slowly little by little, too much at once and you can hydrolock your engine. after you have completed sucking it into the manifold, have someone in car give it a rev and then turn off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the solution soak the valves and the cylinder bore, start it up, take it for a ride for a good 10 min cycling through 1-4000 rpm and your set :)

sounds good.

i would say do it, put 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and suck up the other 1/3 into a manifold vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, but do that part very slowly little by little, too much at once and you can hydrolock your engine. after you have completed sucking it into the manifold, have someone in car give it a rev and then turn off the car, let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the solution soak the valves and the cylinder bore, start it up, take it for a ride for a good 10 min cycling through 1-4000 rpm and your set :)

i have seen it be proven to reduce NOx, cause from high combustion temperatures. it will help clear out the carbon build up in the cylinder that raises compression and absorbs fuel. so in a healthy car like yours it will only make it better.

I've heard it can plug up a catalytic converter if your not careful to make sure the car is warmed up at temperature before you do it.

I've done it to quite a few of my vehicles - I'm not sure if its yielded any results - I really just like making a big ass cloud of smoke for a few minutes :-P

I've heard it can plug up a catalytic converter if your not careful to make sure the car is warmed up at temperature before you do it.

I've done it to quite a few of my vehicles - I'm not sure if its yielded any results - I really just like making a big ass cloud of smoke for a few minutes :-P

haha fill up the neighborhood! we do it mostly at shop so the exhaust hoses suck up all the fun :(

but yeah make sure car is at operating temperature.

Its good stuff. Just got another 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon with 73,200 miles. change the oil add on bottle to the oil ran it to 79,000 before changing to mobil 5-30 oil. Also added one can to the gas on the first tank. a lot do it but I'm afraid to suck it in a port. that is over the top and it will clean to much.

not completely, if you suck a bottle of it through a vac line it will clean up some stuff. i've personally done it on a car that would not pass CO% emissions and as a last resort i tried seafoam and the car passed.

:e-shrug:
In a pinch for emissions.
There's better ways to clean your engine than putting corrosive chemicals in it.

I'm interested. What else is out there?

'GM Top Engine Cleaner' which is used to get any and all ick out of the intake tract. Alarmingly effective. Alarmingly stinky out the tailpipe. Applied via a ported vacuum signal well away from your neighborhood if you are wanting to stay on speaking terms with the neighbors.

This is the stuff we used all through the '90s and I continue to use today when needed for wierd-o drivability issues that don'e make sense.... that one that is..... 'Intermittently starts and dies cold.' or 'Hesitates on acceleration but it has fresh everything, valves are set and WTH!!'

Buy it as the GM dealer. They will have it on the shelf. The stinkier and smokier it is out the tailpipe the worse your car needed it!

everyone has mixed results with seafoam. I used it on my Jeep with 180,xxx miles and found 2mpg on average since then. Then i used it in a chevy s10 with around 170,xxx miles and it didn't make a damn difference. Each time was 2/3 bottle in vacuum line and 1/3 in the gas tank.

I've heard of people losing oil after using it. my suggestion has and will always be, time for some new seals...

water torture, which is through the vac line, will do the same as seafoam in the vac line. Costs less though.
In the oil or gas I dunno, have heard too many negs or no results to try it. I've read too many positive things about Auto-RX and would go that way if I was to do anything.

Back