• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project YLD244 with Big Turbo

YLD244

Hi guys, this is my car. This thread is basically a collaboration of my posts in the past.

Over the past few years ive been building up the drivetrain, and Engine Management System for this. So i have been busy over the summer holidays gathering up parts. Im working with Iliya and Gerry from A-class Automotive to build up YLD244. Iliya made up the exhaust manifold, and is taking care of the fabrication and fitting side of things including intercooler and all pipework, and Gerry is tuning the Motec.

Things are prooving to be quite tricky, as the car is RHD and everything is on that side. But its all coming out great so far, with great clearance everywhere. we'll just see how we go when we make up the dump pipe.

Exhaust manifold is finished, and being sent away to get ceramic coated. when it gets back, the fitting and tuning will begin.

Turbo is a A-Class Racing Spec'd Garrett GT series. Tial BOV and 38mm 'Gate. Injectors are Siemens 680cc. Filter is a Custom UniFilter. Intercooler is a Custom A-Class Racing unit with PWR core (should be finished this sunday, ill post pics then).

Anyway enogh talk, here are the pics.

Starting Point:

EngineBay003.jpg

Exhaust Manifold + Some Other Parts.

exhaust_manifold005.jpg

exhaust_manifold007.jpg

Nice Collector:
exhaust_manifold008.jpg

exhaust_manifold010.jpg

exhaust_manifold013.jpg

exhaust_manifold014.jpg

Turbo and Gate Temporarily Mounted:

exhaust_manifold015.jpg

exhaust_manifold016.jpg

exhaust_manifold017.jpg

exhaust_manifold018.jpg

exhaust_manifold020.jpg

Fitment in a Mockup car (as my car is a DD, it needs to stay on the road):

exhaust_manifold001.jpg

exhaust_manifold002.jpg

Here are my new seats, I really love them, especially the pump up air bladders! so comfy!!

Sparco_seats001.jpg

Sparco_seats002.jpg

Sparco_Seats005.jpg

Sparco_Seats009.jpg

Sparco_Seats010.jpg

Sparco_Seats011.jpg

Garrett Turbo Blanket. Should keep a lot of the heat in, especially when the turbine housing and manifold are also ceramic coated. Pretty expensive stuff, but well worth the $$$ i reckon.

turbo_blanket001.jpg

turbo_blanket002.jpg

turbo_blanket003.jpg

Got the manifold and turbine housing back from competition coatings. They did an excellent job, even though they took nearly 3 weeks to do it. The ceramic coating is good for 900C and will last years and years as well as reducing the heat a furthur 80% more than the ceramic chrome.

Should work well with the turbo blanket i have, as well as keeping things clean.
I fitted all the studs in, which were a pain to get as 10mmx1.5x40 studs that are High Tensile were tricky to get a hold of for some reason.

I also got all the fittings fitted to the cetre cartridge for all the oil and water lines.

The intercooler is 90% finished, just needs its top and bottom plates welded on, and then a good polishing. The Core is a PWR core of custom size, and should be more than large enough, whilst still mainting throttle response. Iliya from A class made all the tanks and necks, everything is double welded inside and out.

anyway, here are the pics::

Coating_cooler003.jpg

Coating_cooler005.jpg

Coating_cooler006.jpg

Coating_cooler009.jpg

Coating_cooler010.jpg

Coating_cooler013.jpg

Coating_cooler014.jpg

Finally got everything together and got her running. Turbo install went very well until we got to the downpipe fabrication. It was a nightmare and took many hours. Everything else went together very smoothly like a Meccano set, so all the preperation in the past was worth it.

Drivability: Car begins to build boost at around 2800rpm. Engine is very responsive and hits fullboost by about 3600 and keeps pulling hard all the way up to redline.

Old bits and pieces we removed
Turbo_install001.jpg

The Old and the New, what a difference!!!
Turbo_install002.jpg

Turbo_install003.jpg

Turbo_install004.jpg

Genius at Work
Turbo_install005.jpg

Just got the Manifold on, Things are gonna get tight!!!
Turbo_install006.jpg

You can just see cooler through the grill
Turbo_install014.jpg

Completed Engine Bay Pics, airfilter is just temporary for now.
Turbo_install015.jpg

Turbo_install016.jpg

Turbo_install017.jpg

Turbo_install018.jpg

Turbo_install019.jpg

Turbo_install020.jpg

Turbo_install021.jpg

Turbo_install022.jpg

fits like a glove.
Turbo_install023.jpg

Hope you all like it.

Hi guys, well theres been a gap between my radiator and intercooler, since i have put the new IC in. So i decided to neaten things up a bit.

Before with ugly gap:

Radiator_cover002.jpg

I folded a sheet of aluminium, polished it, and whoa what a big difference. Looks heaps neater, and i guess it is functional, as the air once passed through the IC cant escape out the top before entering the Radiator.

After:

Radiator_cover003.jpg

Radiator_cover006.jpg

Hi guys, ive had this wheel for a while, as it came with the seats. I didnt install it before cause the Boss kit didnt fit properly, it had this massive gap behind the collar part.
So i got my dad to machine up a spacer, and to machine down the collar to fit. Now it fits awesome!!! Very happy with how it turned out.
I also painted the plate around the horn button Satin black, as it was anodized red before.

Anyway let me know what u guys think.

Sparco_wheel002.jpg

Sparco_wheel003.jpg

Sparco_wheel007.jpg

Sparco_wheel008.jpg

Hey mate nice build up, good to see more modified bricks in Oz. Just wondering if you have done any other engine mods ie cam, headwork etc before putting the new turbo on?? Also any idea on what garrett the turbo is based on, a GT2871 or GT2876 or something bigger hence the external gate and also what size rear housing your using either the .64 or .84? Just curious as I'm currently in the middle of researching a turbo upgrade of my own and looking for as much info as possible in regards to response etc etc. What sort of power are you hoping for with this current set up? Thanks.

Nice build man, I am currently fabbing my own head except from stainless. and I got a similar turbo it's a garret t3/t4 hybrid, same hot side, though I think my a/r is in the low .80 range, can't remember my stuff isn't at my house. Got the same gate too. I see that you mounted the gate to a single runner, from what I have seen everyone mounts theres at the collector but you seem to be cramped for space, just wondering how thats working out for you. I don't have any pics of my stuff yet but will soon, it's in dturbo's 81 242 turbo thread. It has been a bit of a pass around car. No matter that crap. Dude your car is SOOOOOOO clean I strive for mine to be close to that.

Got the same gate too. I see that you mounted the gate to a single runner, from what I have seen everyone mounts theres at the collector but you seem to be cramped for space, just wondering how thats working out for you.

Yeah space was a massive problem on the build. That was the only place we could put the gate. NO problems at all with regards to boost control. Boost is rock solid, no creep, no spiking, nothing. Absolutely perfect. Wastegate spring is 11psi. I use a turbosmart bleed T, and have it running 20psi every day, rock solid.

Dont wanna push it too much, as the engine is just a unopened wrecking yard motor. This is my daily driver, and does 500km per week. The Motec and tune is keeping it alive.

Turbo is dual ball bearing and is rated to go up to 45psi+.

Yeah space was a massive problem on the build. That was the only place we could put the gate. NO problems at all with regards to boost control. Boost is rock solid, no creep, no spiking, nothing. Absolutely perfect. Wastegate spring is 11psi. I use a turbosmart bleed T, and have it running 20psi every day, rock solid.

Dont wanna push it too much, as the engine is just a unopened wrecking yard motor. This is my daily driver, and does 500km per week. The Motec and tune is keeping it alive.

Turbo is dual ball bearing and is rated to go up to 45psi+.

20 psi daily! the car must be putting down 350whp easily on a gt35 no?

20 psi daily! the car must be putting down 350whp easily on a gt35 no?

Not sure how much power its making, as the car is street tuned, but its enough to whoop worked GTRs, EVOs, STIs, etc. Fun car to drive.

Fuel econmomy is really good too, getting around 450km on 48 litres when driving like everyone else does. But when you give it a hit, whoa, it sucks the fuel away.
680cc injectors runnning at 75-80% at 20psi on 6000rpm.

Back