• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear end clunking noise still there after poly install

holtzboy

Project Procrastinator
So I got a few things installed on my 240; dale poly bushing kit, ipd panhard rod, ipd torque rods. I thought this would cure my clunky rear end but anytime I accelerate from a stop, anytime I shift gears, anytime I am driving along and let off the gas then reapply the gas I get a clunk noise coming from the rear of the car. It does have a 3" exhaust but it has plenty of clearance all around from the sway, gas tank, and rear end parts. What else could be making the noise? I almost want to goto a dyno and have someone step on the gas so I can see whats banging around!

Hmm hopefully. Guess I will wait it out because I have a Getrag 265 'kit' to put on I got from sethfc. I just need to get someone to modify/make me a fancy shifter so I can get rid of the sloppy bmw one.

I've got an '86 and have a similar noise. Any time I load/unlead the drivetrain.
In other cars I've found it to be freezer bushings, but mine look fine. I replaced my center support bearing, didn't get rid of it though. Does anyoen have any other suggestions for my case?

I've got an '86 and have a similar noise. Any time I load/unlead the drivetrain.
In other cars I've found it to be freezer bushings, but mine look fine. I replaced my center support bearing, didn't get rid of it though. Does anyoen have any other suggestions for my case?

In some cases the universal joints on the 2 piece drive shafts wear out and become stiff. this can cause a pretty wicked vibration when climbing through the revs.

There's no sort of vibration.

It's a solid clunk. If I neutralize, I get it. If I'm coasting in gear and give it gas, I get it. I've I shift, I get it.

Can't figure it out for the life of me.

Back