• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My latest redblock geekout

I'm running 10PSI right now. I had it up as high as 14, but one pull sounded like incipient detonation, so I backed it down for now.

It's a very simple +T setup - I used the Bosch LH 2.1 ECU (#507) from a '84 760T which is plug 'n play compatible with my LH2.0 setup. Added Ford Browntop injectors. I kept the stock Chrysler ignition box. The compression increase was from a Cometic gasket (0.027" vs. stock 0.049"), which took my 10.3 up to ~10.7. A T3 .60 trim compressor and 0.63A/R turbine housing with the ATP Ultimate Wastegate add power up top and flow well. I already had the K-cam installed.

Since this is just for fun, I wanted to keep things cheap but effective. Tight squish increases detontation resistance and lets you run boost. Higher compression gives you better off-boost response, and can let you run a wilder cam more effectively. A wilder cam will tend to come in a higher RPM. Making power over 3K RPM helps the NA pistons and M46 live longer. I sized the turbo compressor to come on with the cam for a synergistc effect. I sized the turbine to flow effectively at higher RPM. I put a TurboXS RFL BOV on for entertainment purposes only.

Wow! Interesting setup! I forgot to ask about hg thickness thanks!
Does the stock chrysler icu pull timing under boost?
What kind of trim do you run on the turbine?

Head work

The head is beginning to come together.
It is a regular old 530 head dated 1995. Factory combustion chamber volume with a little extra removed so my guess 55 cm3. I will measure later so we will see.
c-head-chamber.jpg
The intake bowl and run up is shaping up. There are a couple places that could use a shave, but nothing much.
intake.jpg
The exhaust is the weak link. I am still unsure as to what to do to increase flow. The sharp corner in the inside bend is smoothed round, the bowl was widened, as was the elbow. I want to nozzle down somewhere between the elbow and port to avoid exhaust gas reversion. Aside from that, no plan. I am taking a break until I have decided. If anyone has any ideas, critiques, criticisms et cetera do share.
exhaust-bowl.jpg

Thanks

Ryan

Wow! Interesting setup! I forgot to ask about hg thickness thanks!
Does the stock chrysler icu pull timing under boost?
What kind of trim do you run on the turbine?

I have been told the Chrysler ICU will pull timing under boost. I have not verified that it does yet. So far, it seems to work well, whatever it's doing.

The turbine is the standard T3 wheel.

What I did this afternoon after climbing around the diablo range all day in the pouring rain.
I measured piston deck height. Turns out to be -.032"
piston-height.jpg

Finally got the right bearings from egge. .010" under b20 6 bolt connies.
They are roughly .110" wider.
bearing-differences.jpg
Note the size difference.

One on the crank.
bearing-on-crank.jpg

One thing that is really troubling me is what to do about getting the exhaust to flow better.
Something that will likely add some extra flow would be drop the outside floor of the bowl.
I am about to build a manometer and see what I can do to up the flow.
What I have now:
exhaust-port.jpg
This is my rough shape so unfinished surfaces.

I have been told the Chrysler ICU will pull timing under boost. I have not verified that it does yet. So far, it seems to work well, whatever it's doing.

The turbine is the standard T3 wheel.

Cool thanks
Glad to hear such success with the high comp turbos.

Ive been throwing ideas around on how to make an old automotive head flow better. With no way of knowing what flows better, I decided to build a janky backyard flowbench.
I got as far as the manometer.
mano-001.jpg
And the spark plug fitting
mano-002.jpg
Which is really a hollowed out spark plug jbwelded to some fittings I had laying around.
mano-003.jpg
I screwed up and bought the wrong fittings to connect to the house shop vac to the head, so I'll fix that the next day of the one after.
I also made a device to depress the valves, with the help of a dial indicator, will do so somewhat precisely.
If anyone has done this, what do you feel is the easiest way to connect the vac to the cyl head? I got a sheet of lexan that I can cut a shop vac hose sized hole in and seal to the head. Air tight of course.
I am not too concerned about getting volumetric flow rates now, just percent change. Plus any attempts at quantifying cfm seems somewhat suspect. Again do chime in.

Thanks

Ryan

Attachments

• depressor-001.jpg
    depressor-001.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 156
There's a thread somewhere with flow rates of various mods/porting on a 530 head floating around here somewhere.

I think that has been removed. I found flow figs for ultra performance stuff, Erland Cox head and such. Nothing stockish, havent checked thoroughly tho.

Stoked to see this build!
I like the backyard flowbench :-)

You can see it person if you like. It was fun kickin it at the junkyard and elsewhere the other day.
The project is going to be sidelined until wednesday because school and work (they are giving me a wopping one day a week now :roll:)
One a rad note Im going to go look at rocks on zayante rd. in the santa cruz mtns today. Fingers crossed for some cool fossils.

So yesterday, I went to the stockton pnp and found:
A '78 242 flathood
hoodstarz-007.jpg
and bmw clutch and pressure plate:
hoodstarz-001.jpg
look how it fits,
hoodstarz-002.jpg
and on a getrag 265:
barfos-011.jpg
This is me at a local's birthday party today (thats whiskey in my hand):
barfos-006.jpg

Last edited: