• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

It isn't in the glove box its under it. It's clean. I made the lh and msd harness quick disconnect so I can bypass it if it poops out on me

So I took it to PIR last weekend to get some baselining done on the 1/4 mile. Veredict: timing is all over the damn place.

60': 2.54 s
ET: 15.2 s
Trap: 94.5 mph

Basically what happens is that there is absolutely nothing when off the line. Holds 10 psi past the 60ft marker while barely accelerating, then it takes off. Pretty sure I could get another 2-3 mph on the trap and more than a second shaved off if the damn thing would even launch.

As it is I can get it to build 10 psi stationary but it won't even do a burnout :wtf:

At any rate, Pat took it round the block and advised to bump base timing and back off the boost a bit, but that otherwise the car feels fine running-wise; feels quicker with less detonation, but the timing map definitely needs some revision.

Drags were at ipd weekend. Guess that was two weeks ago actually :-P

Yes, it will hold 10 psi while stationary and refuses to break traction in the dry.

Boost has not been stabilized yet. I will get around to it this weekend, hopefully.

other than it being slow, i like this car. although i will vouch for its quickness earlier in the day that friday.

Been having some random engine quits here and there. Since the car was going way lean right before quitting I determined the fuel pump relay was the prime suspect. Was not disappointed. Seems like all of the relays manufactured during the mid-90s have issues where solder joints crack and require reflowing. None of my late 80s or early 90s (through '92) relays seem to have this issue (this one has a 1996 mfg date stamp):

Nice videos. That was a pretty fast Volvo wagon you were racing. You should have had that sideways engine clown. Time for more boost.

Thanks! Would have had him if the ECU had not entered knock enrichment/timing pullback mode on the 2-3 shift from all the detonation, or the big bog at the starting line that allowed Ole to jump a car length in front of me at the 60' mark. Once I get the tuning sorted this thing will hit high 13s without any additional boost.

That is, once I get my MS all set up because EZK is garbage in high boost applications.

Last edited:
If you can't properly set up and adjust/tune LH/EZK, why in the world do you think MS is going to be easier?

Because I sold my Ostrich and the raw value conversion formulas for EZK seem to be wrong (I don't see how 25 degrees of advance at peak load/highest RPM value). It's not that I can't calibrate a table, but there is nowhere near enough groundwork for me to be able to reverse-engineer the system (I did well enough with the 940 and LH 2.4). At that point I'm much better off with something that is built to be tuned from the get-go.

I do plan on getting the boost reference corrected first, with the MBC deleted, BTM bypassed, and stock ignition computer used.

The other option is to set the base advance to 10 degrees with stock computers and run ****loads of boost, at the expense of all driveability.

On a side note, it looks like the MAF plug is in terrible shape altogether. Seems like this may be the reason the CO adjustment needs to be re-set all the time? By this point I'm all out of other sensors and wiring to fix.

Back