• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7/9 series replacement key?

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Asking for a friend who lost their only key for thier 1991 940T. Local dealer told them they can no longer make a new key because the car is too old. Is this the reality of these cars ?

What are the next options besides a locksmith that wants $200+ to make a key?

Tasca got me a new glove box lock with key. It was made to match my car using the VIN. They could probably make a new key from the VIN of the car at a different dealer that is willing to look up the car.

Asking for a friend who lost their only key for thier 1991 940T. Local dealer told them they can no longer make a new key because the car is too old. Is this the reality of these cars ?

What are the next options besides a locksmith that wants $200+ to make a key?

As of earlier this year I was able to get a 240 key made. Apparently the only place in the US that can do it "officially" is in Cali or something. They wanted to charge me a robbery so I just had a key cut at the local hardware store for $2 instead. The smaller independent stores are more likely to carry the blanks you want. A place like lowes' *might* be able to cut you a blank if you bring it to them, but the local store did it for me and had blanks for sale.

Just checked the Ilco catalog, looks like you want the same blanks I used for my 240's; an X140/VL8 (VL8P for a plastic handle) for normal keys, or X80/VL6 for a valet key.

Of course if you don't have any keys to copy, you'll need to do it through volvo or pull a cylinder from a 240 or other 700 series.

Took this screenshot on my phone, so sorry for the resolution.
2137TfK.png

The PDF is here; see pages 116-117.
http://www.ilco.us/media/770042/v18/File/2018-auto-truck-key-blank-reference.pdf

Can confirm a dealership in Canada cut 740 keys for me a couple months ago for a 90 740 from the VIN. I have not tested them yet.

A TB debate recently seemed to say that even if the dealer will cut you a key from a VIN it may not be accurate to the car anyway (apparently somewhere along the line some records may have been mixed up)

If the car was a 760 or 940se it would be cake as you can get new tumbers for them, for the base 740 and 940 they do not have removable tumbers at least not easy.

So I guess I just need to keep calling dealers until one says they can make a key? but if they are outof state I wonder how I can do that.

You could always ask one of the veteran parts guys and see if they were able to save the manual key cutting machine. If they did, then it's just a matter of ordering a blank from Volvo, then having them look up the code, and try cutting it. Some of the codes aren't accurate in VADIS, and TDS cars won't be listed in VADIS, as I learned with that silver '84 245GL my parents owned a few years back. Had to reverse look it up, which is where the manual key cutter came in handy.

I just got all new keys from the dealer for an 88 sedan about 4 months ago. They -almost- worked too. My locksmith used the cylinder out of the passenger door to make a new 'master' then recut the 'new' ones from the dealer. He said whoever cut them didn't know how - a couple places weren't close to being deep enough and they didn't deburr anything. Cost me $30 for 2 copies of the new master and to recut the 2 new OE's.

I brought my VIN to Jim Fisher in Portland and I got a brand new OEM key for $18. All they asked for was proof of ownership. If your dealership doesn’t have it, you can call others and have one made, (pretty sure as long as you have proof of ownership)

To clarify, this was less than 2 months ago. If you want your fastest answer, call them tomorrow (Jim fisher parts department just make sure that John isn’t the person that answers, Ansel or Mason is who you want) and ask about a keg being made

The last time I bought a key for an older Volvo at the dealer they had to order it from overseas. I don't think they could make them though.

I took out steering column once and took that to locksmith and he probed it and made a key for 50 buxs..

But might be easier to take out the lock in the passenger door and take that. They used to have code on it also and locksmith has a book and can then make a key from the passenger door lock code on it.

If you call Ansel, ask about the free wood also..

To clarify, this was less than 2 months ago. If you want your fastest answer, call them tomorrow (Jim fisher parts department just make sure that John isn?t the person that answers, Ansel or Mason is who you want) and ask about a keg being made

It's sounding like a group buy for OEM keys might be in order! I damn sure need a couple for the DD..... been using a single crappy aftermarket key all these years.

Back