• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kevin's 1990 745ti DD

I like the look of the black bumper and black hood, but green bumpers and black hood, or green and green would look good. Someone should photoshop those Voxx's with black centers, just for kicks

I'd say just keep the bumpers black, it looks better that way, but I'd wonder how a green hood would look on that car.

Assuming you plan on leaving a black strip on the bumpers to go with the body side moldings, I still say paint the rockers green too. It'll change the look of the car and make it appear lower.

Once you have that done then you can take a step back and think about the hood, whether to paint or leave black.

I like the look of the black bumper and black hood, but green bumpers and black hood, or green and green would look good. Someone should photoshop those Voxx's with black centers, just for kicks

Eh, I've seen them before with black centers and didn't really like the look too much. Just did a quick 2 minute photoshop (select, greyscale, darken) to get an idea. If I did them flat black they might look okay, maybe it'll grow on me, but for now I really like the gold.

BlackWheelsQuick.jpg

Do the bumpers. Leave the hood black

This is what I'm leaning towards most. I'm contemplating possibly wrapping the hood too. I have access through the correct vinyl for it through my work, and I've been considering possibly trying to start doing vehicle wraps in the future so this could be good practice. Black would be my first choice. However I might also consider carbon fiber, even though it's frowned upon, mainly just from a business standpoint I think it would be quite marketable and could potentially get me some customers. That would definitely be down the road a bit though.

Anyway, the girlfriend will be out of town all next week so I'll have quite a bit of free time to knock some things off the list in preparation for the upcoming meet next Sunday. Mostly cosmetic, however there's a few parts I've had laying around I wouldn't mind finally installing.

<strike>- Wheel adapters (roll fenders as mentioned before)</strike>
- Paint green section on the bumpers AND repaint black sections as well
- Repaint hood, top and bottom side.
- (Possibly) paint engine bay. (probably won't get around to this)
- Install 5 bar sender and run wires to oil pressure gauge
- Poly strut rod bushings
- Poly endlink bushings
- 960 lower subframe braces

Nice to meet you. Maybe the next time there's a meet my car will be ready.

Nice to meet you too! When you said you were MrBrown I was really looking forward to seeing your 245, but hopefully next time I run into you I'll be able to check it out.

Anyway, I had a big list of things to get done before the meets this past weekend, however even with my girlfriend being out of town for a week I didn't have as much spare time as I had hoped. I ended up using some of that time to work on the a/c in my mom's S70 and I replaced the front struts on a friend's XC70. But I did get the bumpers done. Oh and I found one more Voxx wheel for sale here, so I picked it up, painted it to match and slapped a tire on it to use as a full size spare. Hooray for no more getting stranded.

6DFA4C30-FD8D-48D4-9984-D84FDC948602.jpg

Here's a pic right before I did the bumpers:

CD6901C3-3097-40FA-B153-EC948E35DFC3.jpg

And here's the first step after doing them. I went ahead and did the lower front valence too, to see if I'd like it better that way, but it was too much green for my liking.

DECEA369-21FB-4BD0-9ABF-18058CA7A63F.jpg

EFEC9515-61BF-48FC-9191-8621056CA517.jpg

So the following morning I painted the lower valence black and I think it looks way better this way.

DFE62205-C22E-441D-83A5-1DBC4F866E4B.jpg

Saturday was a smallish unofficial Volvos at Ikea meet. There were 10-12 cars who showed up and it was nice being able to catch up with the local guys.

0FC3E2DF-CC3B-4F94-BEA3-F2616AF23B13.jpg

Then Sunday was a huge meet in Jacksonville called the Auto Combine. It was a lot bigger than I was expecting, with several hundred cars in attendance, however I was one of only four Volvos. Still was a good time though.

DSCN0914.jpg

Didn't get many good pics on my camera because the battery died, but a buddy of mine and I snuck up to the top of an abandoned warehouse to snap these pics of the meet from above. Not sure what the warehouse was used for but it was several stories tall and had some sort of mission control looking room inside it. Definitely a good explore.

33341CAB-DAC7-47B1-BBF8-653C945A5AC3.jpg

AC45FD2C-FD4F-4DE1-A292-B8B1477ED569.jpg

B32BA5C1-4353-42D5-B2C8-71D3FC96B142.jpg

31FAF0D6-D162-4625-AC65-59BD6499047B.jpg

B91501E7-BF0A-4F0C-B3F4-7F2B1A6C6E6D.jpg

This looks proper, but I'm glad you tried all the other combinations too ;

Every page should have a note about how you painted this with a roller!

Yeah I did the front bumper all the way green just to see, if I liked it I would have painted the rockers and the lower part of the rear bumper as well. But I figured the way I went with would look better and I'm happy with it.

And haha thanks, roller and a foam brush too :)

Good times, too bad about the rain though.

Yeah, shame it had to start raining literally just as the place was filling up and not many cars were pulling in. Oh well, I still had a good time.

14741313707_c59a78e524_o.jpg

Found one more from the Auto Combine meet. Happy to see the wagon got some love despite not really fitting in with the hellaflushdapperstanceworkscambergang cars which made up the majority of the event.

Aside from that, gave my knockoff greddy BOV another try and managed to get it to operate properly:

A7B5D3A0-E573-4151-AA3B-447374A9F7D9.jpg

Used a Kinuwaga blockoff plate on the turbo and it's working fine there, might try to move it to the post-IC side at some point. Even with it only being on a few days, there's a tiny amount of oil accumulating at the end of its opening. I'm guessing it's just coming from the catch can/pcv, so I'm going to try running the catch can vented to the atmosphere to see if it'll stop.

Monday I managed to pick up a screw in my drivers side rear tire:

BBD9743B-7056-4C5C-AB55-2EA9381914ED.jpg

Seeing as how the tire was only $20 I just plugged it for now. I'll probably end up getting a better set in the near future.

Then yesterday I met up with a local guy from craigslist and picked up a few goodies from him that he no longer has a use for. Snagged an uncracked angled housing with some significant port work done to it, a ported 90+ with the one stud removed and the area around it ground down slightly to allow me to attach the hotside with all four corners instead of only three, and also a 3"-2.5" angled flange downpipe with two o2 bungs.

BF0E3FE8-8A20-4930-9780-7D3C29EB0F0F.jpg

4C5E99F5-F901-403A-A32D-EC9707EFFD80.jpg

9E03E69D-F061-49D1-9C13-1E4BEF01A65A.jpg

I had the intention of just picking up the downpipe to use with the spare 90+ and angled housing I already have, however since the ones he had were already ported I figured I'd pick them up too to save myself the time and effort. Unfortunately the 90+ has two cracks in it that appear to go all the way through:

B661DCA3-1B51-471D-9F3B-755DA824FF65.jpg

714B6FEF-ADA2-41D6-B881-4DDA4E9E64A6.jpg

I've spoken to a customer at my shop who does mobile welding on the side, and he says he can weld or braze them for me for cheap. Once he takes a look at it and gives me the verdict I'll decide if I either want to get this one fixed or end up just porting my spare uncracked 90+. Then I'll grab a new set of exhaust manifold gaskets and toss it all together.

Got the goodies put on this past Friday night. Crappy pic, but here's the back of the welded 90+ after I picked it up:

CA1D35A8-A502-4276-A9D6-7D07E8171113.jpg

Guy took his time with it, heated it up to weld it and let it cool down properly. He welded it a good distance past where each crack was too, to help minimize future cracking.

273FD75C-177A-43CE-A5E6-95693AAEB026.jpg

CA58E08E-7744-407B-AA7D-DE7CBE8574CA.jpg

Got some new exhaust manifold gaskets to install at the same time, and I also swapped plugs and did an oil change while I had the car up on ramps. Unfortunately one of my Taylor plug wires came apart when removing it. The metal piece on the end stuck to the spark plug and pulled out of the boot, but thankfully I had a spare set of plug wires laying around to use for the time being. Everything else went smoothly, only issue I had is this downpipe was about 3/4" shorter than the last one, so I had to bend one of the exhaust hangers to get it to reach okay. Also decided to ditch the spark plug heat shields (OEM hand slicers) this time around. Partly because I had the manifold mostly tightened down before I realized I forgot to put them back on, but also because they're ugly and dirty and a pain in the ass, and if I ever want to put them back on in the future I'll clean them up and paint them first.

I also did notice a significant amount of oil that had accumulated right at the intake of the turbo, with a trail of it leading from where the PCV vacuum nipple attaches to the intake hose. I may try running the catch can vented to atmosphere for the time being, however I would like to keep some sort of vacuum on the crankcase... So I may just try to get a better catch can. This one now, although it somewhat does its job, doesn't really have any baffling in it, so while it does catch some oil vapor I'm sure a good amount is unfortunately just getting sucked right back into the intake.

9FEB8971-BF4E-4745-A70D-5ED306F9CF8B.jpg

392C5D97-876C-49BF-B9DF-21C8669C01F1.jpg

Got it all together and everything seems to be working okay. Very minor leak right where the downpipe meets the hotside. Tried tightening the side where it's leaking and that made it better but I probably just need to wait for it to cool down and then loosen all of them and tighten them evenly together. Overall car seems a bit more responsive even down low just cruising around down, and seems a bit quicker up top too. I'm satisfied.

Back