• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

Would this car be legal in California? This isn't a wholly academic question, but one motivated by a degree of self interest (cf. the vulture query earlier in this thread).

1975 and older is smog free, anything else would need to be under the table or within the states guidelines.

Ben and Josh don?t have anything?

All out of stock. 3 to 4 week lead time, QSRC is a 10 week lead time. This is likely the route I will end up going though.

Question on the Ford project: do you know the dimensions of the Coyote motor? I've been tossing around a non-Volvo project idea for awhile involving that motor, but i"m not sure it will fit. The biggest concern is the overall width.

Its massive. I had a dimensional chart of both engines at one point but its long gone. I can tel you at the widest point it is 6.5" wider than an LS and that is essentially the tip of the head at the valve cover.

Welcome back, that truck is nice.... looking forward to the new Volvo build.

Thanks man, nice to hear from some familiar people.

Diesel title works as well. Nice work Sean! And yeah the 240's are not around as much, even down here.

Thanks!! I am shocked at just how hard it is to find parts for these things now. I have a couple big items I need and am having a tough time finding.

172 paint code driver and passenger fender would be awesome
Good Uncracked dash- I am willing to pay for this, halfway tempted to try and order a new one.
Any brown interior pieces would be great, door handles, carpet, dash, rear deck or seatbelt covers.

Bunch of parts should show up this week on it and I am pulling the donor motor this weekend, maybe make some progress in the next couple weeks, like engine assembled and in the car.

Sean

I'm going to be in Newberg in June for a Porsche 914 event, would love to see your truck in person. (just mapped it out, you are 8 hours away, ouch)

Now I want to redo my engine compartment after seeing your progress...damn it!

If you haven't already obtained the Hooker cast units, you might want to take a look at Speedway Motors cast stainless Tru-Ram units. Flow characteristics (3" collector vs. 2.25", among other things) are superior to the Hooker unit which should help with your boosted application. And I found the exit location much easier to work with when fabbing the head pipes. fwiw https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-...MI2O-BifPS2gIVBJ7ACh3zggKHEAQYAiABEgKSyfD_BwE

Great tip!!! Subbed for awesomeness.

I'm going to be in Newberg in June for a Porsche 914 event, would love to see your truck in person. (just mapped it out, you are 8 hours away, ouch)

Now I want to redo my engine compartment after seeing your progress...damn it!

Never too late to redo it, I had the engine out in less than a day :-P

I am only about an hour or so from Newberg, hit me up if you want to get together.

Great tip!!! Subbed for awesomeness.

Should be fun.

Holy picture size, Batman! From what literally took me 20 minutes to look through the pictures; nice!

I figured most people were not on dial up anymore :). I just link pics from my photobucket account like I have done on all my other build threads. Not sure how to resize them actually.

Looks great so far, excited to watch the progress!

Thanks man, are you from UJoint for real? You guys have some killer stuff I cut my teeth in offroading, just finished building an 05 ram with a 700hp 426 hemi, one tons and 40" tires.

Got this bitch loaded up and off to the painters this morning. Super high end hot rod shop is helping me out with it.

They are turning it around quick should have it back in just a few days as all the prep was done for them.

Supercharger showed up at FedEx yesterday, will pick up today. Parts are piling up now!!!

Sean

These guys worked pretty damn fast today. Couple of little spots I should have prepped better, but I am picky. They laid down some nice paint and baked it in the oven today. Great turn around. Color is a little different, but what do you match it to? The repainted ****ty front fenders or the ****ty chalky body color.

I am very happy with my welding, prep and bodywork on the engine bay, not perfect, but it looks great for an engine bay.

So, here we go!!!

With the good always comes the bad.

Fed Ex has lost the 2 packages that contain all of my LSA Parts, supercharger, injectors, fuel rails, tensioners and the list goes on and on. I am crossing my fingers that it turns up in the next few days. The good news is that it is insured by the shipper and he has been great so far.

I have gathered up a pretty nice pile of parts ready to go in the car.

Should have the engine out of the donor van tomorrow afternoon, will be able to tear down and begin the conversion and get it ready to drop in.

Good fun coming in the next few weeks.

It took a couple of tries to get a decent match to the beige for my engine bay, went through variations of too pink and too yellow. I brought my gas door in and he tinted it to match the inside.

Yours looks like a good match. What brand of paint did they use?

It took a couple of tries to get a decent match to the beige for my engine bay, went through variations of too pink and too yellow. I brought my gas door in and he tinted it to match the inside.

Yours looks like a good match. What brand of paint did they use?

Yeah, its a little more tan than the body is, the body has a little more salmon color to it but I knew it wouldnt be an exact match with 3 some year old paint on the car. I am not 100% sure what then ended up shooting. Its single stage. They have the paint still as they forgot to shoot the hinges, hope to have those this week.

Ill report back on the brand.

Got up the crack of dawn yesterday and ended up taking the day off of work.

Had a plan for the day and it started off pulling the interior apart, it was complete before I started today. What I really needed to do was to get the firewall panels out so they could get out to the powdercoaters. Success!!

Dropped those and some small brackets off at the powdercoaters, then hit the road to head a couple hours north to Portland. Loaded up as many tools as I could think of and my car trailer and hit the road.

We had gotten our use out of this van and when it was going to go away from our work fleet I purchased it for the drivetrain. It had been well maintained from a drivetrain point of view, new waterpump, recent tune up, plugs wires, oil changes every 5,000 miles and we are the original owners. The body however did not have a straight panel on it, interior was pretty well trashed. Its been a construction van for 10 years and looked 30 years old.

So, I drove it in to our warehouse at about 2 pm complete running and driving van and then this ensued.

Purple power and a little time with the pressure washer and I am blown away at how clean this engine has stayed. Good Start for the little volvo.

Having a little fun.

I had a couple of buddies come and help me, it made way more sense for the body to jsut come off. Had the forklift there to make it easy. We had the body off within an hour of turning the first bolt. Wiring was all disconnected and pulled the entire engine harness. We also split the transmission, pulled the wire harness off of the engine, pulled the fan, motor mounts, oil cooler and got the engine and transmission loaded up on pallets. Set the body back on the frame and bolted it all down. Disposed of all fluids loaded everything up and hit the road not 5 hours after we started. Pretty awesome day.

Home right at 10. Beyond exhausted but got a ton of work done thanks to some friends.

Going to hopefully round up some missing packages this morning at FedEx.

Hope to start getting the engine put together this weekend.

Sean

These guys worked pretty damn fast today. Couple of little spots I should have prepped better, but I am picky. They laid down some nice paint and baked it in the oven today. Great turn around. Color is a little different, but what do you match it to? The repainted ****ty front fenders or the ****ty chalky body color.

I am very happy with my welding, prep and bodywork on the engine bay, not perfect, but it looks great for an engine bay.

So, here we go!!!

With the good always comes the bad.

Fed Ex has lost the 2 packages that contain all of my LSA Parts, supercharger, injectors, fuel rails, tensioners and the list goes on and on. I am crossing my fingers that it turns up in the next few days. The good news is that it is insured by the shipper and he has been great so far.

I have gathered up a pretty nice pile of parts ready to go in the car.

Should have the engine out of the donor van tomorrow afternoon, will be able to tear down and begin the conversion and get it ready to drop in.

Good fun coming in the next few weeks.

holy fuke

Epic van disassembly day was epic. I love days like that where friends all come together and sh*t gets done fast! Engine bay looks just about as perfect as any beige 240 bay has the right to. It's great to see you kept the original color in the bay. To me, a black or contrasting color engine bay takes away from a build and makes a car seem cheaper or thrown together.

Epic van disassembly day was epic. I love days like that where friends all come together and sh*t gets done fast! Engine bay looks just about as perfect as any beige 240 bay has the right to. It's great to see you kept the original color in the bay. To me, a black or contrasting color engine bay takes away from a build and makes a car seem cheaper or thrown together.

Thanks man. It was faster than expected for me and I usually get stuff done pretty quick. I am hoping that the Tan pops with a bunch of black in the engine bay.

Got things unloaded here at the headquarters yesterday, got the engine and parts all unloaded with the use of the neighbors forklift and got it bolted up to an engine stand.

Let the teardown begin.

Not really sure why anyone would use paper gaskets where it should be an O-ring factory gasket here.

Part of the reason I picked this up is that I know the history of it from day one. This is a testament of top notch maintenance. I am blown away at how clean this engine is inside and out. Its the cleanest of any LS engines I have started with.

So all torn down and mostly cleaned up I had 2 broken exhaust bolts to deal with. One of them I got out without much issue. The other one though, It fought me for several hours. Started with the normal drill it out and use an easy out. Broke the easy out down in the hole so, on with the other methods and frustrations. Ended up using a small grinding stone on the Dremel to grind out the broken ez out.....out. Then was finally able to get the broken bolt out.

I was finally able to bolt on some new parts early this morning cause we were well past midnight at this point.

Holley oil pan and pickup and ICT Billet Power Steering pump bracket installed with pump, killer little bracket that holds the pump tight to the head.

Apparently I need to get a new alternator as it needs a 1998 to 2002 camaro alternator.....would be nice if they told you that anywhere in the instructions. Oh on those. The worst instructions ever, good looking and fitting parts.

Hope to pickup some parts this am and keep trucking. Wont be able to get it in the car but would be cool to see it mostly assembled and ready to drop in.

Sean

You going to cam this?

Not at this time. I was going to try and keep the VVT setup but some reading last night has led me to delete it as it doesnt work with a manual. Guys are making plenty of power with this setup for what I want to do with the car. Reliability is big on my list of things to do with this car. Not that a cam would change that much.

**** yeah dude

Thanks dude, your car is looking killer, good to see you working on it again.

Sean

VVT delete if you can especially with a manual. Just my opinion, but it is one less thing to worry about.

Since you have a front mount cam sensor look for LS2,LS7, or LS9 (debatable by some) cams. They are cheap and should last a really long time with Blue springs. Plenty of aftermarket choices as well, I just like factory parts for the same reason you do.

Back