• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1982 242 wheel fitment

BryantTF242

I'm assuming this goes in performance considering its not stock, but anyway!

I have a 1982 242 GLT, and i have been looking into getting new wheels for it.
I'm not interested at all really with running spacers and whatnot, so my choices are VERY VERY limited.

But I did find some Voxx MG3's that i might want to pick up.

Specs:
17x8
with a 20mm offset

I'm pretty sure that it will clear in the rear, but my worry is the front.
Has anyone run this exact size wheel in the front and gotten away with it?

Thanks for looking.

Voxx also sells MG3 in 15x7 & 16" x 7". And either of these should be a direct bolt on.

Maybe someone else can speak for the Voxx 17x 8s. IIRC rporzio had the 17x8s on his 242

You have MANY more choices than you think really.
Lots of mags are available plus you can get "custom" ones quite cheaply.
Team Dynamics (who may or may not actually make them for you. I had to pay before they would admit they didn't have rwd blanks) and Braid are just a couple who make decent mags.

1982 242 -- Voxx MG3 - 17x8 w/235/45/17 Conti. Fits perfectly front/rear. On mine - front was just bolt on. Adjustable Panhard to center the rearend and trimming back part of fender lips will help in the rear.

17x8 ET20 will clear the strut tube up front (with most normal sized tires like 215/45, 225/45). Slight chance of rub on the sway bar at full lock, but yes that size fits the front and rear of a 240. On the rear, you'll get a rub on the inside when the axle/chassis articulates over uneven surfaces, like entering a steep driveway. Depending on tire size you may get some rubbing on the rear fender lips above the mudflaps. Depends on ride height too.

cool thanks!
also one question, so most times i see it stated with offset being one number, like "20mm", or "40mm", but every now and then i come across sites that have like "e+6 to +20" or "e+12 to +25" for offset. what exactly does that mean?

The wheels were manufactured with enough material in the hub area to make the lowest offset they list. Some material may be machined off and then the bolt pattern machined to make higher offset if needed. The finished wheel will have a precise offset.

1982 242 -- Voxx MG3 - 17x8 w/235/45/17 Conti. Fits perfectly front/rear. On mine - front was just bolt on. Adjustable Panhard to center the rearend and trimming back part of fender lips will help in the rear.
Is this currently how the car is sitting?

Back