• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Diesel refuses to diesel

f6c.jpg

Might as well find a MB diesel.

Something not right in your pictures. That cam looks out of time. I'd guess that the auxiliary shaft is also out of time.

IIRC VW had the timing mark on the cam sprocket line up with the valve cover gasket on the drivers side of the head.

Cam gear slipped on the cam? It's hard to tell from that pic, but it seems like the cam is roughly in the correct position. Doesn't take much to drop the PSI though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TWuPpsXMvjE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like some of the cylinders are trying to fire, but are kicking back against the starter? And lots of smoke puffing up out of the crank case.

Looks like massive blow by to me. The puffs of smoke in time with the cranking engine were humorous.

Last time I had an engine with that much blow by it had broken #4 exhaust valve and the valve head went through the piston.

My vote is for a Mercedes OM617 swap. Lighter, more reliable. You should be able to buy a whole car for about a grand and swap the bits you need over. Would be a fun project.

Last edited:
I replaced the first 5 GPs awhile ago, not like that would cause low compression anyway. )
GPs have nothing to do with compression. Which brand GP? Anything not Bosch Duraterm is suspect.

If you are sure all the GPs are good, then you must turn to verifying there is no air getting into the fuel supply. If you don't want to install a section of clear fuel line in the return path (to see if air bubbles are present) an alternative method is to splice in an electric fuel pump upstream of the fuel filter, which should force feed pure liquid fuel into the injection pump.

These engines are not that complicated but the important stuff is different than for gassers. To start they need: Fuel, compression, sufficient cranking speed, glow plugs.

I've started this engine in ~50 degree weather without glow plugs.
That right there proves good compression by itself!:nod:

Yep.

I tried to start it on fluid, felt like one cylinder was firing and there was more smoke out the PCV hose than the exhaust.

This bitch is done.
Starting fluid + glow plugs = big BOOM. Think broken rings, pistons, etc.

Judging from the photo, the camshaft is about 30deg BTDC, so likely the crankshaft bolt was too loose and the TB pulley slipped there or the front camshaft pulley slipped. Interference engine so bent valves.

Well I set the cam timing in the day so I could actually see and it still won't fire on more than one cylinder. (Interference fit cam pulley with no key or markings? Thanks VW.) Verified fuel delivery. Probably gonna pull the head and see if it's the valves or what.

Went to see if that crusty turbodiesel Merc was still for sale, it's gone..

I'm thinking that VW D24 is a non-interference fit engine. It's related to the earlier VW/Audi 4 and 5 cylinder diesel, not the later 1.9L diesel.

Edit: I did find mention of the VW Diesel being interference fit.

I'm thinking that VW D24 is a non-interference fit engine. It's related to the earlier VW/Audi 4 and 5 cylinder diesel, not the later 1.9L diesel.

Edit: I did find mention of the VW Diesel being interference fit.

I don't think there is a 4-stroke diesel motor that isn't interference. The VW IDIs are all interference. If the cam sprocket moved more than 10 or so degrees you might have bent something.

Bought tools on amazon, should find out exactly what happened tomorrow night.

But seriously, what was wrong with normal bolts VW? And a timing belt, on a diesel?

I'm pretty sure the headgasket is slightly blown, it's drank coolant very slowly ever since I got it. About an expansion tanks worth every month or so, depending on how much I drove it. (No oil/coolant mixing though.) It has ran hot a couple times but never into the red zone and never since I got a new radiator, several months ago.

Last edited:
Back