• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71L Accumulator Mod Issues

wagonfan00

#tiltyplategang
Just got the trans in the car and all buttoned up....But I have to manually shift it..or back my foot off the gas in order for the car to shift....No weird noises....There were only two check balls in the valve body while my aw71 i replaced had 4............should I take two check balls out and run just two in the aw71L?..I figured since the two trans are identical beside the lock-up torque converter i should be good to go. I'm searching the forums as we speak but any tips would be greatly appreciated I'm dying to drive this car...1988 745T

did you get your kick down cable hooked up properly? Check the adjustment on the kickdown cable

I've been fiddling with it....The little ball on the outside by the adjustment barrel is missing so I'm shooting in the dark...too tight or too loose? The car is in a yard not too accessible to me at the moment....

So I got the car out....I loosed the cable and it still doesn't seem to want to shift into 2nd or third on its own......I don't hear the valve shutting in the trans that the kickdown is connected too....Just had it all apart and not really feeling like getting under the car at this point again but i may have too...

Since the trans, prior to going in my car, was totally drained...could I have left over air in the system? It seems to be inproveing the more i drive it...

If the transmission(valve body, lines, cooler, converter) were totally empty; chances are it is still working air out of the system. Check the fluid level and make sure it's not overfilled.

doesnt sound like air in lines

there is no easy anwser here as you posted almost no info....
how was it before
did you replaced valve body gaskets
did you use instruction on rebuilt

and on and on

If the transmission(valve body, lines, cooler, converter) were totally empty; chances are it is still working air out of the system. Check the fluid level and make sure it's not overfilled.

It was overfilled then drained to normal level...might flush some fluid out later tonight and see if it helps.....the pull drain plug run trans replaced drain plug and fill method

doesnt sound like air in lines

there is no easy anwser here as you posted almost no info....
how was it before
did you replaced valve body gaskets
did you use instruction on rebuilt

and on and on

Replaced upper valve body gasket because original broke. No idea how it was before because it is a replacement trans.....and mechanic swapped it and told me of issues...I said I'm broke and drove it 30 miles home with no friggen OD....not my day and honestly don't have a ton of info for you in regard to transmissions past....

You can manually shift through all three gears?

Next time you're out there, pull on the kickdown cable... you should have about (just from memory. I may be wrong about the exact dimensions) about an inch or so of travel, then it stops, and with a bit more effort, it extends another 1/2 inch or so.

When I adjust mine, with the throttle closed, the cable tension is just a bit before it droops.

I'm thinking perhaps your cable fell off the spool inside the trans?

You can manually shift through all three gears?

Next time you're out there, pull on the kickdown cable... you should have about (just from memory. I may be wrong about the exact dimensions) about an inch or so of travel, then it stops, and with a bit more effort, it extends another 1/2 inch or so.

When I adjust mine, with the throttle closed, the cable tension is just a bit before it droops.

I'm thinking perhaps your cable fell off the spool inside the trans?

I thought that as well but i pull the cable out just as you describe...feel the extra bit when the kickdown switch is activated...The more I drive it sometimes it improves but other times hangs between gears until i get up enough speed to hold it in gear....I need to get the OD solenoid from the old trans....mental note...

I can't keep going on this witchhunt for answers....the car is in the garage but I will be kicked out tomorrow. Anyone have any clues? I cannot find anything related to overdrive bands in the manual or google......aren't they clutch packs anyway?

How many check balls are supposed to. E in the valve body for the aw71L? I can't find a definitive answer...the aw71 I removed had 4....the aw71l that went in had two originally....I stole two from the aw71....this is the only variable I keep coming to on this trans.....

Back