• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chippet 850 T-5 - Boost issue

Pumba

Oi there lads..

I got a '96 850 T-5 (B5234T) with white injectors and a stg 3 chip, it's got a ****ton of power and goes like a bat out of hell..

But if I floor it (pedal to the basement) it'll start - well sounds like studdering and it kinda halfway cuts out..
It'll start doing it at about 3300-3500rpm.. :wtf:

It's only doing it when at full throttle and not if I accelerate at 3/4 throttle, even if I go to 5000+rpm..

Could it be the boost protection kicking in or could it be that I'd need a bigger downpipe than 2.5" ?
(as far as I have been able to figure out, the boost protection shouldn't kick in with a sgt3 chip, or am I totally lost here?)

Hope someone in here got the "Guru"-sign lit ;-)

Best Regards

Check the condition and gap of your spark plugs. IIRC the factory gap is .028. If you're running more boost you may want to narrow that down to .026.

Check the condition and gap of your spark plugs. IIRC the factory gap is .028. If you're running more boost you may want to narrow that down to .026.

Could that really be the issue ?
The boost on this one is set to 18psi (1.24bar)

The manufacture of the chip says they don't have any boost protection fuel cut installed at all, so the issue gotta be somewhere else..

I have ordered IK20TT Iridium plugs and new cables, hope to get them within the next few days, I'll make sure to check the gap on them then..

I've had the exact same experience with my former 850 T5. Altering the gap on my spark plugs fixed it instantly. I'd start with the known 5 cylinder issues you can fix for free.

I have just adjusted the gap on the plugs to .026. and sure enough it did indeed help some, but at full boost there's still some slight stuttering.
I'll make sure to check the gap on the new plugs I have ordered before fitting them and hope that and the new cables will fix it..

Thanks a bunch for the hint guys, I'm kinda new to these "newer" cars ;)

Another thing if you lads knows, is the only way to make the engine run richer ECU work ?
The plugs where a lot whiter than I like to see and as far as I know that indicates that it's running to lean..

I would not use iridium plugs. Copper core NGK B7KRE are what most of us use, colder heat range.

Get a wideband. An 88c tstat will run a little richer.

Who is this tuner?

18 psi on what? TD04?

I would not use iridium plugs. Copper core NGK B7KRE are what most of us use, colder heat range.
10-4 I'll try that then. (hope I still got time to change the order)

Ok, feeling like a total noob here, but a fuel/air mix controller or ?

Who is this tuner?
it's a reprogrammed BSR chip.

18 psi on what? TD04?
Yes the 15G.. I know it can't take the punishment in the long run and wanna replace it with a 18t or 19t. But that's also a bit of a cash issue..

10-4 I'll try that then. (hope I still got time to change the order)

Ok, feeling like a total noob here, but a fuel/air mix controller or ?

it's a reprogrammed BSR chip.

Yes the 15G.. I know it can't take the punishment in the long run and wanna replace it with a 18t or 19t. But that's also a bit of a cash issue..

You can also just run the OEM Volvo copper plugs, they are fine.

Thermostat - 88C - allows the car to run a little richer under boost.

https://www.amazon.com/Stant-45378-SuperStat-Thermostat-Fahrenheit/dp/B000C80AFK

BSR is old technology, no way should you be running 18 psi on a 15g, way out of its efficiency range.

Who is this tuner?

18 psi on what? TD04?

This

Worn cap/rotor/wires/plugs will do the same. Oem only or you’ll be replacing crap all the time

Also
15g at 18psi pushes a lot of hot air.

Bit of a cash issue you say? Then stop making your car worse. Get out of college and get a job then start to do it right

This

Worn cap/rotor/wires/plugs will do the same. Oem only or you’ll be replacing crap all the time

Also
15g at 18psi pushes a lot of hot air.

Bit of a cash issue you say? Then stop making your car worse. Get out of college and get a job then start to do it right
Hopefully he did a stage zero before the mods. These cars are sensitive to worn ignition components when you start modding them.

Last edited:
Had similar issues with B5204T2 (2.0l version) with 16T #7 angled exhaust flange @ 18-20 psi.
We gapped plugs down to 0.020" (0.50mm) and this cured the issue.

Stage 0 of course!

Last edited:
Had similar issues with B5204T2 (2.0l version) with 16T #7 angled exhaust flange @ 18-20 psi.
We gapped plugs down to 0.020" (0.50mm) and this cured the issue.

Stage 0 of course!

I'll try to go to .020 thanks for the hint..

You can also just run the OEM Volvo copper plugs, they are fine.
Thermostat - 88C - allows the car to run a little richer under boost.

I'll try the OEM plugs and the 88C then ;)

What the f** is that for a retarded comment dude ?
I'm bloody 40 years old and are just (as stated) starting on these "new" cars - if you ain't got better to say then don't say anything..
I'm here asking for advise not to be insulted by some fool..

I'll try to go to .020 thanks for the hint..

I'll try the OEM plugs and the 88C then ;)

What the f** is that for a retarded comment dude ?
I'm bloody 40 years old and are just (as stated) starting on these "new" cars - if you ain't got better to say then don't say anything..
I'm here asking for advise not to be insulted by some fool..

Bro bro
We get plenty of 20 some boys here running so much boost you can light glass on fire, with no money or experience

You?re running too much boost. You welcome

Hopefully he did a stage zero before the mods. These cars are sensitive to worn ignition components when you start modding them.

It?s amazing just how sensitive they are. Runs perfect one day then shet next... pull plugs .. oh yeah replace again after 15k miles or cap rotor every 30k

You realize quickly how much better stock wires are vs say IPd after you pull the wire out of its boot..:wtf:

Bro bro
We get plenty of 20 some boys here running so much boost you can light glass on fire, with no money or experience

You?re running too much boost. You welcome

18 psi should be fine?

Also when gapping make sure you don't insert the feeler gauge under the electrode if you are using the good'ole hammer technique. This breaks the ceramic, ask me how I know :)

Back