• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1967 122s Restoration

I'm starting to get back into restoration mode and brought this jewel home to inspire me ;)
Gonna restore it as well.

trailer.jpg

It's been a while since I touched the 122 but I started organizing parts yesterday and bought one of my final pieces for the restore last week. I am hoping to get some time in the garage next week. So far 4 tractors and the 244 have had me busy for a while. More
Photos to come soon.

Btw the 66 4 door I brought home in the above photo is now deemed my donor car for some parts at least. It was too far gone really to try and restore.

I'm updating the status on the 66' 122

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=260679

I can't bring myself to just strip it and leave it so it becomes the rat rod... Well you can read more there.

I'm still in the process of organizing parts and the Garage at the moment. I was hoping to have insulted my garage by now so I could put a central air system in it or at least window units for the time being but it just hasn't worked out that way.

Within the next 2 weeks there will be a good update on this project and the rod project I promise!

b65ae05f.jpg

This section needs to be cut out. As you can see above, a bondo like material was caked over it. I'm talking with Paul here on TB about getting some sections of his doner cars. I want to take the car down to bare metal all the way around and start front scratch. That is what I will be doing soon here. Heck I may even try and strip some more tonight.

The rear trunk as you can see in photos above is rusted pretty good and the trunk, aka "boot" for you Brits, off the 66' is in good condition. I will swap that soon.

I also need to send the B20 to the machine shop and start a build on it.

I need to have a Volvo work party and get some help for beer and Pizza! Who's in ? :rofl:

I need you guys to keep me motivated with ideas and positive reinforcement lol.

Don't cut that area out, panel beat it. Look up Wray Schelin shrinking disk and get a slapper and a decent dolly.

Don't cut that area out, panel beat it. Look up Wray Schelin shrinking disk and get a slapper and a decent dolly.

That is a really good idea! It's a little bad but it may just work!

I just watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFUz-gZLqo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have a few Dolly's that I have made over thee years but I never got that hardcore with sheet metal. That shrinking disk is amazing. I am going to have to pick that up!

You just gave me some major inspiration and confidence on this project!

What parts of the UK are you? In headed up that way soon.

8db50dfc.jpg

Despite the fact it was 101F today I decided to clean that panel completely o the bare metal because of recent inspiration 2 post back :omg:

I work all day in this heat so I usually hate coming home and working in my garage which is why I need to insulate it and put some A/C in it.

Here are some results. Of course the worst gash is in the worst spot to try and dolly out.
eea02d5b.jpg

0c504238.jpg

4744b830.jpg

933f5ed5.jpg

2607528a.jpg

And of course an inch long piece of wire off the wire wheel shot into my leg right above my knee... That felt great and pulling it out felt even better although I am used to it after years in the field of metal fabrication.

I will bring my dollies home from work one evening and try to work at it. I am also going to buy one of those shrinking disk!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm in Milton Keynes, 50 miles or so North of London. There's a few of us round here, Chesh, Roger B

You really need a slapper too, rather than a panel beating hammer. The idea is to work a large area without locally shrinking the metal. You work the low spots rather than the high. Then you use a broad nipped sharpy to highlight and rub it with some sandpaper, like a guide coat. Those shrinking disks are great. It takes a lot less skill than shrinking with a flame and the results are better. This wing had damn near 1" of filler in it when I started. Wray does a video, the're on Evil Bay

DSC_3313.jpg

BTW you need to be careful with some of those old seam sealers, they've been known to contain asbestos.

On this car butol (sp) thanks for the tip. I haven't looked into it that far. It will match my asbestos siding on my house ;)

That section you fixed looks great! You know I do believe the UK has some of the most talented traditional sheet metal workers. Some how you don't see it often here.

I will be headed to Plymouth/Devon soon here . The wife is British. Yup she married a yank.

Maybe if you could point me to some specific links to tools I should purchase? I will try and buy them this month.

Back