• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock to T5 clutch disc

240wagonguy

I have a B6304S that I am swapping into my 740 with a T5 trans. I ran into some issues with the clutch stack up and hoping to find some advice on how to get this to work.

I have a 850 flat flywheel, and new 850 pressure plate that I bought on ebay as NOS, never used. Sachs 3082226031. Clutch disc is Exedy FMD002U, Ford 4 cylinder T5 disc. Diameter is right and fits the flywheel and pressure plate fine. Seems it's a bit too thick however? I heard thru the grapevine the 850 disc thickness is 7.1mm, and my ford disc is 8.3mm thick. Everyone (on fb) is telling me I need a 1mm spacer for the pressure plate. However I found some volvo docs that lead me to believe 8.3 is within spec. Also a friend of mine that dabbles in custom stuff and happens to be a GM master tech is telling me that spacers between the flywheel and pressure plate is sketchy at best.

So help? Will I be ok with clutch disengagement if I just torque the pressure plate down, or do I need spacers? I have yet to actually measure an 850 clutch disc for thickness myself, so i could use help there.

Thanks

I tend to agree with your friend on those specs, so I won't comment on the spacers BUT.

It's worth noting that I'm using a thunderbird disc (228mm) on my redblock/T5 and I seem to remember that of the 2 or 3 that I had on hand for fitting, they were ALL different thicknesses AND slightly different diameters (as in one of them wouldn't fit inside my Kennedy PP).

So there's that bit of info for you.

I am currently running basically one washer on my PP bolts. Don't really anticipate issues there.

Really just shoot for flat fingers on the PP once torqued and you should have no problems, shim accordingly.

I'll say this also... not that you WANT to have to do it, but taking the T5 out of the car is SO EASY because you can split it at the bell housing rather than having to take the box WITH the bell out... which is hell.

So if you get it in and it's no good... it's easy to yank it back out.

Back