• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap gone bad

Check to make sure the bearing retainer is not pushing the clutch disc up against the flywheel. When I did my T-5 swap the clutch would not release even after adjusting the cable and shimming the pivot with no change we measured the distance to the center hub of the clutch disc and discovered the retainer was pushing on it, so I had to trim about 1/8" off the retainer to get the clearance from the clutch disc. Transmission was from a 91 Mustang GT so it should have fit without problems, may have just been a bunch of small variances that all added up to the interference.

That's the one thing I didn't measure, if I'm honest. I shortened it to match the input shaft change, but never actually checked the clearance. I don't think it would cause the other issues I'm having, but I will certainly look it over before I throw the trans back in.

How did shimming the pivot work for you? I don't mind ordering the bearing that Ben recommended, but I'm being a bit impatient. I just did coilovers and most of the poly bushings in the car, and I'm getting antsy to drive it.

Could just pull the trans and find out yourself instead of asking for speculation. ..just saying

How did shimming the pivot work for you? I don't mind ordering the bearing that Ben recommended, but I'm being a bit impatient.

I wound up not having the shim the cable sleeve as the outer end of the fork sits back from the plate a bit further taking up the slack while moving the bearing start point closer to the plate allowing it to engage sooner.

Well, it ended up being 2 different issues. First, the bearing sleeve was still contacting the disc, so it wouldn't disengage. I trimmed almost an 1/8" off to clear it up.

Second, the fork was hitting the pp. I may have been able to adjust the cable to a point that I wasn't able to pull it that far, but issue 1 would've made that difficult to find. I shimmed the pivot balls 3/8" and checked clearance on both the front and back of the fork. This will work for me for now as I'm almost ready to start a whiteblock swap, and I'm just going to be changing the clutch setup anyway.

Last edited:
Back