• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Puzzled - gap between spring and plate on one strut

canyoneagle

Striving for mediocrity
I've swapped my struts (1979 245) to Konis with IPD springs and OEM mounts.

When reassembling, one strut was fine - tightening the mounting nut seated the mounting plates and put a small amount of pressure on the spring. Cool.

The other, however, has about 3/4" gap, even with the nut torqued. I've verified that the top mounting seat is oriented properly, and the bump stop is hitting the shoulder on the strut shaft where it needs to be. Both springs measured the same. The strut is also seated properly in the ring at the bottom. Tips, thoughts?

Last edited:
it will probably seat when you put the car on it...

For sure.
My main concern would be when I unweight the wheels to full droop when jacking it up. The a-arm/swaybar may prevent it from fully extending (and unseating) , but that is my main concern anyway.

I can manually press the damper and seat it, but the strut pushes it back out (as it should ;) ) I've thought about temporarily using zip ties in the holes (top and bottom) to hold everything tight until it is installed, then snip them.

Last edited:
Assuming that all is assembled correctly... Assuming that strut inserts are the same length..

As the car is lowered to the ground slowly... Bump the spring if needed onto the seat.

No biggie.

Measure the free height of both springs just to make sure they are the same.

Check the strut tube for a spacer. (Does the gland nut seat down the same amount on both?)

I've seen the hole in the upper spring seat get smashed/distorted and not allow it to sit down properly.

Is the top nut threaded down the same amount on both assemblies?

Should have just cut the springs. :-P

Yes to checking the free length of both springs.

You might have one spring thats not to spec or has sagged.

I've yet to see a drop in spring that rides and handles better than cut springs enough to justify the extra cost. If I'm going to spend money, it's going to be on an adjustable coil-over set up.

I've read the same. I'm sure cut springs would be nice. I figure once my fillings fall out with the IPD's I'll get some progressive rate springs and be happy. In the mean time, I'm with the kool kids with blue sprangz :-P

Back