• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

Good Morning,

I have been really busy with work lately (trying to make sure we don't shutdown an assembly plant). I have manage to get some work done. Have taken a few steps forward and a few steps back. Haha.

Mounted one of the electric bulkhead fittings for the MS3pro harness. This was just a quick template made to check for fitment and to see how I would like to move forward. Will need to put in another. Will most likely go above it.
SOFj8dDl.jpg

Dt97ayMl.jpg

eYEQPQLl.jpg

I did get the J-pipe back to check for fitment. However, I didn't account for the offset of the turbo and how close it was to the head. The spark plugs would of been sitting against the turbo.
yuRmm6tl.jpg

JCHPazll.jpg

Qhhgvjgl.jpg

So I used a strap to position the turbo over more with the bottom flange at an angle. I then marked it on the J-pipe and we're going to try that. This would leave about 1 to 2 inches between the turbo and the spark plug wires. I will put on a turbo blanket and will be looking into some additional heat boots for the wires. I think that should be fine.
Taraa7Kl.jpg

z08M1j4l.jpg

Xjm8jz7l.jpg

Lots of room by the fender
3qetfdvl.jpg

I then installed the alternator to make sure I would have enough room for the external wastegate. I do room... However, I have to address the issue of making left turns...
OnlsmhRl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I then installed the alternator to make sure I would have enough room for the external wastegate. I do room... However, I have to address the issue of making left turns...
OnlsmhRl.jpg

Thanks,

Are you running ac or a ps pump on the driver side? If not I would grab a 740 driver side accessory bracket and run the alternator on the top position of that.

Are you running ac or a ps pump on the driver side? If not I would grab a 740 driver side accessory bracket and run the alternator on the top position of that.

I was debating that. Don’t know if I’ll have room due to my intake setup. Will have to play around and see.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I was just looking over the pics again, the steering box might make it snug too. I cut the bottom half of my bracket off and it still mounted up fine, so that would help with clearance down low. How many amps do you need to run? The Vol Tech race car has an alternator the size of a can of coke, which should be easy to wrap the intake around. I don't know how much power it pumps out though.

Yeah, that’s been the hardest part of working around the front end of these. Those steering parts just tighten up the whole low portion of the engine bay.

Yeah, that?s been the hardest part of working around the front end of these. Those steering parts just tighten up the whole low portion of the engine bay.

Also true in the 140. HUB, I bet you can get creative with a custom alternator bracket to move that up a bit.

That’s what I’ve been trying to work out. I’m thinking about designing a rack mount that uses 4 points. I was thinking that having the lca bolts and the motor mount bolts from underneath would be enough, then it would be a bolt on solution. I just need to find a narrow enough rack.

That?s what I?ve been trying to work out. I?m thinking about designing a rack mount that uses 4 points. I was thinking that having the lca bolts and the motor mount bolts from underneath would be enough, then it would be a bolt on solution. I just need to find a narrow enough rack.

I would advise against using those mount points. Instead, after you remove the factory steering you'll have three mounting holes on each frame rail where the steering hardware was attached. Look here:
http://www.unisteer.com/ at their custom rack mounts. They almost certainly will not have a mount for a 122 but you can model something off of their design. I don't know the level of your fab skills, but if you can weld you should be able to make one of these. I'm sure Unisteer will help you, they helped me quite a bit when I did mine.
I went a different way, however and welded mounting tabs to the front cross member to mount my R&P. If you want to talk about this PM me and I'll tell you my mobile #!

I tried this and it didn’t really work. The bracket bolts on but there’s nowhere to bolt up the alternator. Maybe it could work if I put more time into it but I spent like $10 and 15 minutes just making a generic SBC bracket work in the stock 240 position.

vLItoZj.jpg

I tried this and it didn?t really work. The bracket bolts on but there?s nowhere to bolt up the alternator. Maybe it could work if I put more time into it but I spent like $10 and 15 minutes just making a generic SBC bracket work in the stock 240 position.

vLItoZj.jpg

Now just imagine if that sloppy steering box wasn't there! That's the beauty of R&P. To my mind if your going to the trouble of building a custom car why not make it as sweet as possible? Maybe not to the extent of Canuck, so meticulous! I did the research on how to minimize bump steer and with some string and a tape measure and my eyeballs I got it to work really well. I've never tracked my car but have done some spirited driving and I can tell you it's a blast. Besides the R&P I installed IPD lowering springs and a 30mm sway bar I found at Northern European Autoparts in Seattle. All it takes is time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Does the steering rod clear the crankpulley on a full turn? It is a known issue with a b230 in an amazon. I took one groove of my pulley on a lathe an had it ballanced, it's still verry close but not touch. Before i replaced the old gearboxmount it was still touching but with new solid motor and gearbox mounts now is fine.

Evening everyone,

Sorry it's been a while since I updated everyone.

Been working on getting some more parts. Haven't had much time to get anything done. The swirl pot came in for the fuel setup. Has a Bosch 044 pump inside.
xAICW2Wl.jpg

The fuel filters also arrived.

The other reason for slow progress was that I had to pickup a new DD with the baby on the way.

2006 BMW 325xi. Inline 6, AWD, 6 speed. 61k on her.
yy42iKtl.jpg

Thanks,

I like the new daily. Also, good choice on the swirl pot. Seems to be well made, although I haven't been able to run my car with it installed yet.

I like the new daily. Also, good choice on the swirl pot. Seems to be well made, although I haven't been able to run my car with it installed yet.

Still need to decide what pump I want to use between the fuel tank and the swirl pot.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Looks like I found a home for my fuel setup. I like this option a lot better than putting it under the car.
vUX0PTel.jpg

Sa8Efnql.jpg

I also got my hands on some heat shield boots for my spark plug wires. Turbo will have blanket and will wrap the exhaust.
OWBSf3Bl.jpg

Thanks,

Back