• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage 164 vs 140 engine bay

How similar are they? looking at picking up a 164 in the near future. I recall something about the crossmember placement being different or something to accommodate the b30 but i might be trippin. I know one of you knows.

Excellent. There's one for sale local-ish and I've wanted one for so long. I was planning on swapping in a b230ft. Approximately how much further forward? Should be better for turbo placement.

Yeah, the 5.0 in my old 142 was shoehorned in there. I'm picking up a 74 164 this weekend and had been thinking about swaps if the engine is beyond repair.
Also, how easy is it to convert to the older style tail lights? this one has the ugly square ones. I know you know.

Paint isn't an issue, this car I'm picking up is pretty rough. Donor car for which part? The edge that the later model tail light covers? I can't seem to find images of either without tail lights to get a look behind the lights.

The tail panel is flat on the early cars. There's also a bucket on the inside that has room for the wiring. The screws that retain the reflector plate come from the back side, through the bucket.

1971_Volvo_142E_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

The later cars have an overhang for the license plate lights, so the tail panel is not completely flat. The tail light fits through a flat section of the panel, but the housing is tapered to fit the panel.

Volvo_140_series_1966-1974_(1974_144_sedan)_(01)_-CB1-.jpg

To use the early tail lights, you'd need to change the tail panel hence the donor car.

This would be a terrible job I think. The rear tail lights on 164 actually have notches in the rear sheet metal for the tail lights. It there were no notches, you could weld in a filler panel, and cut recesses for the older tail lights. I went over and looked at my 164 the weekend, and it's actually pretty complex back there.

I certainly do agree with you, I like the old tail lights much better. The grill and mustache bumper up front are MUCH cooler than the 2nd-gen 164.

I hope the engine can be saved...the FI 164s are pretty zippy.

Dave Riedle

I'm not sure the trunk lids would swap either.
The newer trunk lid also looks like it may be a slightly squarer shape.

There's still hope! I'm not scared of some sheetmetal work. The less involved the better, but if it takes finding a donor car then maybe I'll have to. The Swedish 140 parts for sale/trade page on facebook seems to have a lot more available than anything stateside. I'll just have to figure out shipping.

Back