• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thelostartof LH 2.4 Chip Feedback Thread

Well, I haven't weighed it in a good while, but you have to remember to include your weight when you do that sort of thing... You aren't just moving the car, you're in there too. That being said, I know our combined weight is more than 3000lbs, and using that number it still gives me 122whp. I've never dynoed over 109whp corrected, 112 uncorrected, and that was about 4whp over what I did the same day with the clutch fan, PS/AC belts still on. :) With a "weight" of 3100lbs, which is more accurate, that calculator says 126whp. It's generous, IMO.

Adding drivers weight is so obvious that I left it out... There are loads of calculators out there, can't remember what was the one guy recommend, he said that it is the most accurate one. And use trap speed only, tire spin or bad launch wont effect trap speed much(assuming you don't burn your rubbers all the way to the finish line...).

I don't think my AMM likes 15 PSI very much...

See my above posts for details on the car. Only significant change is that I took 1/2 turn of pre-load out of my waste gate actuator to see if my previous 1 PSI spike was causing trouble - no joy.

WOT hard launch, still getting what feels like a fuel cut at right around 5k.

Also third to second gear kick-down pulls, the boost comes right up to 15PSI (really really fast, but with 0 spike) and I get the same fuel cut feeling, but this time it's as soon as the car hits 15PSI, regardless of RPM.

In the plus column: I'm not getting any audible ping during any of these exercises and the car pulls, revs and spools MUCH faster and smoother than it did on the stock ECU and EZK. It just seems like I'm getting near the fuzzy edge of the stock AMM and green tops. This is great news since a 3" AMM and brown tops are only a boneyard run away! :oogle:

In the meantime, I'll start by dropping my boost to 14 PSI and working from there.

Ok, figure this might help to settle some nerves here in Cali.

Took the wagon in for a smog yesterday, complete with 012 and 65# Delphi's. Passed at just a hair over the average emissions on HC, CO was just under average, NOx was a touch over, though that's with a generic cat that takes a little while to warm up.

ok, figure this might help to settle some nerves here in cali.

Took the wagon in for a smog yesterday, complete with 012 and 65# delphi's. passed at just a hair over the average emissions on hc, co was just under average, nox was a touch over, though that's with a generic cat that takes a little while to warm up.

:p

Yup, passed quite easily, at roughly half the limits, with the 012, 65# Delphi's, and IPD Turbo cam at 3*.

Now, if I didn't have a 'friend' at the shop it wouldn't have passed on the visual due to the 'excessive' downpipe. :rofl:

Well, I haven't weighed it in a good while, but you have to remember to include your weight when you do that sort of thing... You aren't just moving the car, you're in there too. That being said, I know our combined weight is more than 3000lbs, and using that number it still gives me 122whp. I've never dynoed over 109whp corrected, 112 uncorrected, and that was about 4whp over what I did the same day with the clutch fan, PS/AC belts still on. :) With a "weight" of 3100lbs, which is more accurate, that calculator says 126whp. It's generous, IMO.

There's no way that guesstimating is accurate down to 4 whp. Get to a scale and a dyno!

FINAL UPDATE:

Bog/flat spot went away after a full tank of gas (400 miles or so). The car is running high 14's now, at 11 psi, on 91 octane...total daily driver trim and I can punk RSX Type S' and the like with my boost turned DOWN! In short...AWESOME. Noticeable improvement over the last set of aftermarket chips I had...so i can only assume that going from stock chips to these is going to be night and day.

These chips = WIN!

Appologies to Mike, i FINALLY got to installing the chips this weekend. Life just doesn't have enough time in it. Now, to business:
I've had the chips (fuel and ignition) in for about 100 miles so far. Specs:
1990 745Ti, stock everything (at this point). Yes, i will be boosting up, as soon as my suspension is handled.
Just to confirm: T cam, LH2.4 pink label, 13c @9psi (ok, up a little bit)

I took it on a test drive right after installing the chips, and right off the bat, three things happened.
#1, wow. I can feel a difference in the pull.. it's somewhat akin to the benefit i felt when i opened up the intake and installed the 90+ exhaust manifold on an otherwise stock '85. So, i have high hopes when I open the intake and exhaust on this baby.
#2, My cold acceleration hesitation is gone! Or at least, seems to be! No idea why, but i'll take it!
#3 Revving to 6500 is FUN.. but now i need a cam. BAD.

I just commuted the car 100 miles.. she cruised great, and i swear i can pull up hills at freeway speed with less boost. So i'm actually thinking i may gain some MPG out of this. We'll see on the next tank!

More feedback to come after i've had it in for a bit. Thanks Mike.. awesome!

Bump, some have been asking about these chips so i just wanted the feedback thread back on top so they can see it

I do believe there might be one more person out there soon to post feedback as they did pick up a used set of chips

I'm ordering mine up tonight or tomorrow depending on how fast paypal gets the transfer.

Damnedest thing though, when I pulled the EZK & ECU out to look at, the car is running better all of a sudden. Not that it was bad before, but better in the higher 3,500-5,200 range.

wierd. Oxidized connections? Same thing happened when I dis/reconnected the injector ballasts & scoured the engine grounds.

Time for an update. Swapped out the 6500 chips for a set of 6800 chips. Same great driveability, but I haven't had a chance to wind it out in 2nd since they've learned yet (hooray for traffic). No real issues to speak of. Mileage is still right on par at about 18 in town, 20-22 on the highway, but I'm still having quite a bit of timing pulled due to issues on the car that I haven't figured out yet (not an issue on the chips by any means).

We also installed my old 6500 chips into another local's car over the weekend and he's happy as can be. I'll try and get him to post up, since he should have a few miles on it now.

There is a nice Chipping FAQ in the articles section.

and everyone that posted here, mind posting a bit more feedback since you have had the chips for more than long enough to have them learn and have some long term feedback on them like maybe changes in mpg?

There is a nice Chipping FAQ in the articles section.

and everyone that posted here, mind posting a bit more feedback since you have had the chips for more than long enough to have them learn and have some long term feedback on them like maybe changes in mpg?

I keep close tabs on my MPG( 16-17 city winter, 17-18 summer). I'll be installing mine as soon as they come in. I'll do a fillup just before & after a week of driving & post the results.

Everything in my car is stock except for a 7x5" cylinder air filter mounted behind the grill & a G-Valve set to 12PSI.

Haven't really noticed any change in mileage, though I've still got that wonderful 'knock retard' issue that my car has had for years. One of these days I'll swap the flexplate...

I jumped on it today on the freeway, got a clean pull with 10.8-11.3 AFR's, as the speedo quickly passed 80 in second. It's kinda funny winding it up to 6800...the tach kinda starts going haywire!

Otherwise I'm still getting around 18 in town, haven't done any real long trips to get highway mileage yet.

I'll bug Andrew to post up how he likes his...

Back