• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

I know I'm missing something because the fan will only turn on when I have the + on the temp switch grounded.

FANWIRING.png

As this point, I'm ready to put the clutch fan back on until I can figure this out.

I pulled the fan setup out of a late 960.

i think i might see your problem-- 1-and 2 on the relay must ground to turn on
therefore the temp switch must ground

#2 is high speed

so relay 2--- to one prong on the temp switch-- the other prong on the switch to ground

assuming its a 2 prong switch-- if not then 3rd prong ground
if 3 prong then 1- to lower temp, 2 to upper

For those people that have a two speed fan and are using the high speed setting, have you ever tried NOT using the high speed setting at all and not had good results?

I know on my measly N/A 240, the low speed is more than sufficient at all times that I've experienced, thus far. Then again, the car still has the factory pusher fan as well that comes on above a certain temp with the A/C, I think.

To the person with an '84 240 turbo in the recent posts, there is no factory pusher fan on your car, to my knowledge. It sounds like someone already equipped your car with an e-fan of sorts to help keep it cool, or improve A/C operation. :)

The factory Intercooled cars with a/c had a pusher fan installed as well as a full throttle a/c cutoff switch , I have swiped that whole setup several times over the years from those 84 models :)

Heat soak is when the radiated and conducted heat from the turbo heats the rest of the engine bay to the point that performance is affected, especially the cylinder head, intake manifold and intercooler. The idea is that a mechanical fan keeps a constant stream of cooler air moving through the engine bay at all times, keeping underhood temperatures lower and more consistent, versus an electric fan which runs intermittently, allowing heat to build up in the engine bay.

The tropical fan clutch is for the standard mechanical fan intended for vehicles used in hotter climates, volvo part no. 1357433. I don't know that much about it, but I'd imagine it allows less slip and hold a higher fan speed than the standard clutch.

I thought all 940s had e-fans just like every other Volvo from 1992 and newer?

I guess it depends on the market, as a far as I know the e-fan wasn't standard on the 940 until later in production over here -I had a '94 940 with a mech fan on it from the factory. I have no idea if the fan clutch was the HD kind, though.

For those people that have a two speed fan and are using the high speed setting, have you ever tried NOT using the high speed setting at all and not had good results?
. :)

- I swapped a 940 Efan/shroud/relay in to my 240 (NA 1986)and just hooked up the low speed to a 87C T-fitting in the lower hose. I haven't needed the high speed yet at all, my temps hover right at the sweet spot. Although I rarely sit in traffic on hot days or any of that mess, if I can help it that is.. And there is no AC in the car.
derp missed this part, the one I got at the jy is 115/110...
I think you can use the one in the top of the HD radiators (it's an 87C-92C), which can be found throughout the yards if you don't have one in place already.

I think you can use the one in the top of the HD radiators (it's an 87C-92C), which can be found throughout the yards if you don't have one in place already.
That one allows the car to get too hot before it kicks on. If you were building a car for fuel efficiency and were able to run it that hot with a higher temp thermostat(I typically run an 87 degree), then it might work, but for normal use having it kick on that late can allow detonation if your car is set up pretty aggressively. It'll be over halfway up the gauge before it turns on. I use the 82/87 switch in that location and it works GREAT.

That one allows the car to get too hot before it kicks on. If you were building a car for fuel efficiency and were able to run it that hot with a higher temp thermostat(I typically run an 87 degree), then it might work, but for normal use having it kick on that late can allow detonation if your car is set up pretty aggressively. It'll be over halfway up the gauge before it turns on. I use the 82/87 switch in that location and it works GREAT.

Would that be ok for the high speed though?

Good timing, I just picked up an electric fan to install in my '91 940se (turbo). I'm hearing from the discussion here that maybe it's a bad idea to put an electric fan in a turbo? Where I live in San Diego it reaches 100 degrees a few times each summer, and I use the a/c. My car severely lacks power, and I'm doing everything I can to boost power (don't ask, I've already tried everything to get it back to stock power before mod'ing it). I know the electric fan will improve fuel efficiency, but also improve power a bit I imagine?

Would that be ok for the high speed though?
Yes, as long as you have something else triggering the low speed at a more appropriate temperature. It would at least keep you from blowing the motor due to forgetting to turn on a switch if you don't actually wire it up to come on automatically. :)

The downside to running straight high speed over using the low speed first is that it puts a pretty good strain on the wiring/relay/fuse when it goes from being off to high speed. It may not be a big deal, but still.
Good timing, I just picked up an electric fan to install in my '91 940se (turbo). I'm hearing from the discussion here that maybe it's a bad idea to put an electric fan in a turbo? Where I live in San Diego it reaches 100 degrees a few times each summer, and I use the a/c. My car severely lacks power, and I'm doing everything I can to boost power (don't ask, I've already tried everything to get it back to stock power before mod'ing it). I know the electric fan will improve fuel efficiency, but also improve power a bit I imagine?
I'd put an e-fan on anything. If you're worried about it not cooling well/constantyl, just have it turn on all the time with the ignition on and wire up the high speed as a back-up that comes on with a higher temperature. Heat soak can be avoided by wiring the fan to a switch inside the car in addition to having an actual forced on by temperature switch. Or, don't bother because it'll be ok anyway as long as you have the fan kick on soon enough. Or, do bother because you want to be anal about keeping the engine compartment cool all the time. Or, just wire the low speed to come on with the ignition all the time and high speed off a switch as previously mentioned.

I don't live in a hot climate, but all new Volvos come only with e-fans that are NOT on all the time. If you use the A/C, the fans will typically run, but not even all the time, still.

so i have a flexalite lowboy 16" in the stock mechanical fan shroud on my 940 (yes 91 940's came with mechanical fans)

my only issue with this fan is quality.

problem is fitment requires a thin fan...
dont really want to ditch the NPR and change over to the later radiator...just wish there was a good thin fan that fit between the radiator and the waterpump pulley.

Back