• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164 Rocker cover gasket

driedle

I'm wondering if anyone makes a rubber rocker cover gasket for a B30. I have been using the standard thick cork gasket, but I used rubber gaskets on my 1981 Puma (VW 1500cc engine from Brazil) and liked them quite a bit.

My rocker cover screws will not stay tight, and I think the gasket is shrinking a bit, contributing to the issue. I wondered if the rubber rocker cover gasket would allow the screws to stay tighter longer.

Dave Riedle

I don't think anyone made them in rubber for the B30.

I have never been a huge fan of the rubber gaskets for the B18/B20 valve covers. They sometimes squish out when tightened.

Try some blue Loctite on the valve cover screws, but it is normal to have to re-tighten the screws as the cork gasket shrinks as it get old.

My experience with 4 cyl gaskets was that the rubber ones got hard relatively soon. I had good luck with the nice, pliable cork ones and they lasted a pretty long time. Who knows what they are like these days (probably Eric & Ian do...)

Back