• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Hood Question (90 vs 91+)

n. rippe

Howdy!

What is the difference between a 1990 hood vs. a 1991-1992 hood on the 740? My 91 740 got damaged in a hail storm and there is a 1990 parts car for sale on CL. I'm wondering if I can just swap the parts over.

Thanks!

The hood swaps but the grill will not line up as the 1990 model is different. So either swap over the grill bracket and grill. or find a 1991-1995 hood

The hood swaps but the grill will not line up as the 1990 model is different. So either swap over the grill bracket and grill. or find a 1991-1995 hood

Thanks man. It seems way easier, at this point, to just swap over the grille and grille brackets. It's not a huge difference.

The 1990 was eggcrate only and non fog only.

Personally i would wait and find a 1991-1995 7/9 hood and be done with it. I hate one year only parts.

The car in that ad is indeed a 1990. I believe the waterfall grills were also an option alongside the eggcrate grills depending on the model. My understanding is that eggcrate grills were standard equipment in turbo cars and all other cars got the waterfall.

The necessary parts for the swap in question are the hood, grill, headlight surround trims, the fascia piece above the grill, the grill support brackets, and possibly the air guides behind and on either side of the grill.

Good luck

The car in that ad is indeed a 1990. I believe the waterfall grills were also an option alongside the eggcrate grills depending on the model. My understanding is that eggcrate grills were standard equipment in turbo cars and all other cars got the waterfall.

The necessary parts for the swap in question are the hood, grill, headlight surround trims, the fascia piece above the grill, the grill support brackets, and possibly the air guides behind and on either side of the grill.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply. Assuming it's as simple as removing and replacing, with no modifications necessary, then it might be worth it.

Back