• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What size exhaust diameter for N/A 240 with T cam ?

cookieboy

Hi guys, when I find my 240, I plan on getting a T cam to go with it and I was wondering if I should go 2.5" on the piping and muffler or is that overkill ? I remember someone telling me some years ago that his buddy had that set up and seemed to like it but I just don't know if that's too big or not. My last brick had a T cam and a 2.25" and it helped as well as sounded good. I plan on going with a chambered turbo style muffler and the car is likely to have an automatic. What say you ?

2.5" on NA cars is the way to go, single muffler in the rear with a bullet cat.

So will that add more power than the 2.25" system then ? It's going to be a cat back system. Will there be any big loss in torque ?

I dont think that you'll benefit anything significant from a bigger exhaust on a stock engine. Just change a big free flow rear muffler for the sound/noise. But if you really want to go bigger, put a Turbo exhaust like cosbySweater said.

I have a 90 NA with T cam and 2.25 inch cat back with single thrush welded muffler. I like it. I have an m46 with 3.73 rear end. Sounds good with very little drone at highway speeds.

I have a 90 NA with T cam and 2.25 inch cat back with single thrush welded muffler. I like it. I have an m46 with 3.73 rear end. Sounds good with very little drone at highway speeds.

That's funny because that's the same setup I had except it was a regular Thrush non welded muffler. Do you think they flow well enough?

It's like a flow master chambered muffler knockoff. I think my stock cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust at this point. I don't think the muffler is as restrictive as 114 N/A hp.

I run a high compression B23 with an H cam for my DD. The 2 1/2 inch exhaust I have works well and isn't too loud. I also run a stahl header. No cat.

I've had a few different flowmaster mufflers on it (40, 50, super 50) and they all sound like sh*t. I ended up with a flowmax muffler and it sounds much better. All the flowmaster mufflers were just loud and ricey. 180 degrees between exhaust pulses is just too far for the flowmasters.

Why is a T-cam suddenly a thing? If anything, it's a detriment over the already bad M cam. Nothing like a narrow pointy cam to make an impossibly tiny window to suck air into your motor at higher revs. I got rid of the T cam from my turbo car.

An A cam flows fine through stock pipes at high revs, so I'd think you're not hitting restrictions with a T or M cams.

-Ryan

Why is a T-cam suddenly a thing? If anything, it's a detriment over the already bad M cam. Nothing like a narrow pointy cam to make an impossibly tiny window to suck air into your motor at higher revs. I got rid of the T cam from my turbo car.

An A cam flows fine through stock pipes at high revs, so I'd think you're not hitting restrictions with a T or M cams.

-Ryan

In a word TORQUE where you need it.

People on here are driving their cars like normal law abiding human beings not boy racers, now that they're grown up with a wife, kids and house to take care of.

That said;

The walker 2.25" 240 Turbo exhaust kit is cheap from the usual suspects.

Every NA car I do gets a T-cam and 2.5" stainless exhaust. If just doing a HG, a T cam is still a mandate. I have a shopping list of the components (free flow cat, resonator and muffler) if you want it. The difference in how it runs is very noticeable and 3/4 ask me what I did to it to make it so much 'peppier'.

Add a later AW71L behind it and its even better.

In a word TORQUE where you need it.

People on here are driving their cars like normal law abiding human beings not boy racers, now that they're grown up with a wife, kids and house to take care of.

You're describing me to a 'T'. I'm a grown up. 41. House. Wife. No kids, but dogs and many, many fish. I rarely push my cars over 4,000rpms. I ran a T-cam in the NA 745. Benefits with a slush box? None! It's a waste of a cam seal and 8 valve shims.

-Ryan

You're describing me to a 'T'. I'm a grown up. 41. House. Wife. No kids, but dogs and many, many fish. I rarely push my cars over 4,000rpms. I ran a T-cam in the NA 745. Benefits with a slush box? None! It's a waste of a cam seal and 8 valve shims.

-Ryan

I hear you, I'm 44, have a wife, a stepson and a daughter who like Volvos now because of me so while I need more grunt than an M cam can provide, I'd like to have somewhat of a useable power band, especially with a slush box. I have on other question, what performance muffler would you guys recommend for the stock 2" piping to hold me over until I could afford the bigger piped system ? I could get a cheap muffler and my buddy could weld it in at work so I wouldn't have to pay a shop to do it, any recommendations ?

Last edited:
Don't waste your money on just a muffler.

As I mentioned above the 240T 2.25" walker stuff is under 2 bills and it all bolts up except possibly where it slips over the 2" stock stuff but you could slot it and clamp it instead of welding and not have to pay any shops.

Oh and my M cam in my 86 245 / M46 car was flat on it's face under 2K but the T in my 82 245GLT pulls back from 1K and doesn't seem like it's ever out of torque.

Maybe the slush box is golden with an M cam?

:lol:

Don't waste your money on just a muffler.

As I mentioned above the 240T 2.25" walker stuff is under 2 bills and it all bolts up except possibly where it slips over the 2" stock stuff but you could slot it and clamp it instead of welding and not have to pay any shops.

Oh and my M cam in my 86 245 / M46 car was flat on it's face under 2K but the T in my 82 245GLT pulls back from 1K and doesn't seem like it's ever out of torque.

Maybe the slush box is golden with an M cam?

:lol:

I'll take a T cam over an M any day of the week, regardless of the tranny..

Back