• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Window Defroster Button Won't Turn On

Johnnya101

Just noticed this the past week. In my 88 240 when you push the defroster button down, it doesn't light up either when held down.

There was only one other thread with the same issue, and it never really got anywhere, but someone said it could be a bad relay.

What should I do to diagnose this and fix the issue? I am not the best with measuring votlages and such, but I do have a multimeter.

Ive never even used it before, so I'm not even sure if it's supposed to stay on? Does the light turn on on yours? Maybe just the bulb is burnt if it's not supposed to stay down.

My rear defroster doesn't even click down, it springs back to off. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be

On my 1991 240 wagon, the rear window defroster (or 'demister' as stated in the manual) is a momentary switch that activates the defroster (demister) strips. As per manual, turns off in 10-15 min, or when ignition switch is turned off.

Switch should light when activated if you're bulb or fuse isn't blown or some other problem.

Front defroster blower switch should stay down when depressed for on, press again (popped out) for off.

HTH
Dave

Thanks Dave, that clarified my question a bunch!

So no light and it's not staying down. Fuses all appear to be good.

Back