• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

quick opinion on lowering *how much to cut

papsimagoo

Delicious Boost! Nom nom
Did some searching, probably not enough....anyways been wanting to lower my 242 even more lately and i would like to do it properly......almost.

On my last wagon i had the oldstyle ipd lowering springs, cut off about 1 1/2 coils, it got to the point where the spring would move if the car was off the ground......i want it stiff and low...hehe.....but NO loose springs...

I would love to hear how many coils can be taken off the tme springs or really any of the 240 lowering springs there all seemingly relative....anyways i will search showroom for now but yeah

HOW much you cut? Springs used? your finished product? pics please for inspiration :)

i cut 2.75 coils off my fronts, no ac/ps, stock shocks and it feels like it's on the bumpstops. i dont mind it, it's stiff but my rears are stiffer and i think the front is fine except on a horrible road

speed bumps are a problem to say the least

just enough so that when you go over a speed hump your springs pop out of the seats and up into the cabbin through the floor pan so that you regret cutting them in the first place and think that it would have been cheaper to buy a proper set then to cut them then to have them destroy your floor pan, back seats and any wiring that was in the (deep inhale of oxygen) way

just enough so that when you go over a speed hump your springs pop out of the seats and up into the cabbin through the floor pan so that you regret cutting them in the first place and think that it would have been cheaper to buy a proper set then to cut them then to have them destroy your floor pan, back seats and any wiring that was in the (deep inhale of oxygen) way
II haven't heard of that happening with one of these cars in the years that I've been on here. Even when people have less than half of their original spring in there. The only pain I've heard of is having to get it lined up right when you lower the car back down. In the two+ years that I've run with either 2.5 coils or 2 coils cut off the front springs, I've had no issues hitting basically full extension on my suspension. Then again, I don't take it off jumps every day.
i cut 2.75 coils off my fronts, no ac/ps, stock shocks and it feels like it's on the bumpstops. i dont mind it, it's stiff but my rears are stiffer and i think the front is fine except on a horrible road

speed bumps are a problem to say the least
He's talking lowering springs, not the stock ones though. :)

most people cut off 1.5 to 2 coils on the front, That way it lowers your car about 40-50mm and does not ruin the handling.

Yeah, if you go over 2 1/2 coils front you end up with a crashing on the bumpstop "suspension". Any pothole is a potential disaster. It may look great lowered, but you will be wearing out strut inserts every 6 months (if not more because of blowing them out).. I know, I've had my 240's on 3 cut coils front , and 2 rear for a number of years now.

I finally realized with the crumbling California roads here and being tired of replacing strut inserts on a regular basis , why not "raise" the car up a bit? So I did.

I just cut 2 coils off front, and 3/4 coil off the rear to level it out, and gee the car handles better than ever, has something called "ride quality" and it is no longer bottoming out on every pothole or dip on these crumbling things they call roads here. The car has a good stance, but the wheels aren't tucked.. But oh well.

I guess coil-overs if you want it that low would be the "solution".

okay I want to know how much I can cut off the ipd tme springs and still be able to have car off ground And springs not able to move.

Why don't you just find out? It's not really that much of a hassle. I doubt it's much more than a coil, if even that. I don't really know though, I haven't had any "240 lowering springs" before. :-D

Send Homer a PM, I know he's had cut IPDs before, but he gave'm up because it was just too low. For him.

I'd say one coil and you'd probably be okay on them not falling off like before. Easy to always cut more, but you can never go back once you cut. I had to weld a little ridge on the front coil lower perch so my spring wouldn't fall out. I cut probably to much. I cut 1 and a quarter coils I think. I know that now I don't need spring compressors to put the nut on top of the strut. My springs are the old school IPD ones.

Simon

I cut 3 1/2 on stockers. Rough, but not on the bumpstops. It's easy, free, and easy to replace with uncut ones if you dislike it...

I've had my orange 242 on 2 wheels after hitting the curbing around a racetrack and I have jumped my black 245 (Ross "byte1032" was with me). I've never had a cut spring fall out of place.

Back