• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 swap and emissions

levik

Brickers,
What do you do to keep your LS swaps emissions legal? 2 front cats?
Thanks in advance

Depends what state you are in

....and how old the car is....

Yup.

My 1975 242 is exempt from any emissions testing. Or safety inspections. Horray!

Basically, I can do whatever the hell I want with that car, in whatever state of disrepair that I want, until a cop notices and I get ticketed. Or possibly arrested for endangering the public, depending on the details.

And people say that California has too many rules. LOL

Yup.

My 1975 242 is exempt from any emissions testing. Or safety inspections. Horray!

Basically, I can do whatever the hell I want with that car, in whatever state of disrepair that I want, until a cop notices and I get ticketed. Or possibly arrested for endangering the public, depending on the details.

:roll:

What about your 83?

x2 GTFO of MD!

FWIW in GA my old 911 would pass smog without a kitty. The regulations are probably dependent on car age and standards during the time of manufacture. With the efficiency and O2 sensors on a modern LS, I would not sweat emissions testing.

Go to Maryland DMV website, if like CA and other states it all there in black and white. Safer better than some stranger on the 'net.

Yup.

No you can't pre 66 you are supposed to ref. Look it up

Probably true, but I don't know why anybody would voluntarily take their swapped 66-75 car to the ref for an inspection. Your chances of getting caught, especially by somebody who knows the law that well, are probably pretty slim.

:roll:

What about your 83?

It's a post-1975 so it needs a smog certificate twice a year, so the engine is stock. It's not that complicated.
Don't roll your eyes at me, son.

Not true.
VIN 2004-11 states as follows:
"Effective April 1, 2005, all 1975 and older vehicles, including vehicles previously registered in another state, are exempt from smog certification requirements."

I had to print all this shiit out and bring it to the DMV because my local guy didn't know about this. I also had to print out all the paperwork required to keep my original blue plates. It pays to do your own research, study it, and be able to show your DMV clerk what's up. Most often, they just need a regulation number in order to reference just to cover their ass.

That being said, any car needs to have at least the smog equipment that it came installed from the factory. Which means my '75 needs a charcoal canister to capture gas tank vapors, and that's about it. Everything attached to the engine exceeds what it originally came equipped with.

I don't have a clue what you need in Maryland. Bust out the googles and do some research.

I worked for the US EPA for 31 1/2 years doing vehicle emissions so I kind of know this stuff. Someone already posted the real answer - it depends on the state. EPA sets the standards for new cars and works to assure that cars as built meet them. The states are responsible for making sure that their ambient air quality is acceptable so they set the state standards and the rules for Inspection and Maintenance, etc. EPA does give states some guidelines (because several states claimed they didn't have the expertise to do that) but many states follow different standards - witness California.

Dan

My thought was a single cat after "Y" .
Will cross that bridge when I get there

The 347 SBF stroker/Volvo I'm building has 2 cats, 1 per side shortly after the headers. They were installed for the original 5.0 swap about 20 years ago and and still seem to be working as the exhaust doesn't stink up the shop too badly. They seem to be aftermarket cats and evidently are holding up OK.

Dan

Back