• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 pops out of 3rd gear when decelerating

SenseiRice

So a few weeks ago I dropped a rebuilt 93 squirter motor and an 88 m47 into my car. I put a new bellhousing gasket and rear cover gasket+seal in the m47. I also put 2 qts of wolfshead synthetic universal atf in it. I also welded an extra 1/2in or so of lenght under the shifter ball to give myself a bit of a short shifter. Been about 500-600 miles since the swap and just earlier it decided to pop out of 3rd gear while I was decelerating. I put it back in 3rd then coasted for a bit and again it popped out. Seems to be random how long it stays in 3rd gear before it pops out and it hasn't popped out of 3rd gear while accelerating, only when my foot is off the gas. The transmission had 150k miles when I got it from a friend of mine and it shifts through all the gears smoothly with no grinding. My thoughts are the fluid I used but I'm not sure. Any ideas why it doesn't stay in 3rd while decelerating, pretty annoying when I'm engine braking on hills.

Make sure you didn't extend the shifter so far that it's hitting the overdrive housing and preventing you from shifting all the way into 3rd.

Time for bronze shifter bushings and new mounts.

Ive used a dead motor mount in place of stock mount for sloppy m46. Its about 1/2" thicker than stock trans mount. Muscle it in there and your shifter will sit just a bit higher and everything is slightly tighter perfect mod for the brokeass turbobricker.

This is for a 240. If you're driving a 7/9 crush your car

worn shift collar and probably the 3rd speed gear engagement teeth, hub keys, maybe or even a failed pilot bearing , although that's usually affects fourth gear ,possibly the shifter as well

Is there a more definitive way to test if it's the transmission itself? It only has 150k miles on it. I'm really hoping it's not that because the old m47 my car had was total junk so I scrapped it.

I already donated the old transmission (with shifter) to my highschool because the auto program wanted a manual transmission to cut apart and use as a demonstration piece.

Last edited:
M-47 uses needle bearings between the gear and mainshaft doesn't it?

The old ones with bushings between gear and mainshaft would pop out on decel when the bushing got worn.

Back