• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Creative 945 wheel options

white_fly

So I'm debating several wheel choices for my white '93 945ti. I know that getting a Volvo wagon is different enough and that there are plenty of nice wheel choices from later cars. However, I just can't get enough originality.

I was thinking about dropping the car on Canopus rims for a VIP look but I don't think I could make it work with this particular car unless I made the rims bronze or did a rat-rod-eque theme do some crazy pinstriping on flat-black. Now I'm searching for some used high-end wheels (Fikse, BBS, etc.) but considering other options and wanted to see if I could get more ideas. The current list includes
  • Corvette C5 "wagon wheels"
  • A more conventional wheel with an unconventional treatment (teflon, anodizing, etc)
  • 17" Spare wheels, likely widened
  • Mercedes C63 reps
  • Cobra R replicas

Any other ideas?

You need to narrow down your selection a little bit....how serious are you, 1st you mention just running stockish rims with paint, then you talk about running rims that'll cost over a grand....

the 'vette rims will work with adapters, you'd need spacers anyways even if they had been the same bolt pattern due to the offset...

Why replica Cobra R wheels?? You can get brand new Ford Motorsport forged Cobra R rims for about $150 each (I have 17x8 Cobra R rims on my 242)

47794412.jpg

How did you plan on mounting these wheels?
Uhh... lugnuts. I've seen the Cobra R and OEM Mercedes wheels on other Volvos and I know that there are lugs that allow for a couple mm of tolerance so I figured the Corvette wheels wouldn't be much of a stretch, but I could be totally wrong about that which is why I ask.

Uhh... lugnuts. I've seen the Cobra R and OEM Mercedes wheels on other Volvos and I know that there are lugs that allow for a couple mm of tolerance so I figured the Corvette wheels wouldn't be much of a stretch, but I could be totally wrong about that which is why I ask.

glad you asked... Adapters! Search about them on here or the rest of the web. Learn about offsets and bolt patterns. Maybe you should just stick to your current wheels until you understand the concepts of a proper wheel transfer.

there are no lug nuts that allow that...the cars you saw had adapters, had the hubs re-drilled or had rims with the proper bolt-circle (such as the replica Cobra R's, but might still need spacers depending on offset)

You need to narrow down your selection a little bit....how serious are you, 1st you mention just running stockish rims with paint, then you talk about running rims that'll cost over a grand....

the 'vette rims will work with adapters, you'd need spacers anyways even if they had been the same bolt pattern due to the offset...

Why replica Cobra R wheels?? You can get brand new Ford Motorsport forged Cobra R rims for about $150 each (I have 17x8 Cobra R rims on my 242)
I'm dead serious about this. How much I spend really isn't a reflection of that. I wouldn't spend more than $1000 on high-end wheels. As I said I'm going used and I'd be looking for a pretty screaming deal. They're out there, you just have to look. Anyways, Even the Canopus would end up being pretty expensive if I went all out with the pinstriping or go with a high-quality bronze paint (which I would). Even the widened spares wouldn't be very inexpensive. But inexpensive doesn't make a wheel any less cool or original.

When I say Cobra R replicas I mean wheels that didn't come on an actual Cobra R. The "authentic" Ford Racing wheels are replicas to me. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info about Corvette rims.

I really like that Bennetton steering wheel, but not in a Volvo wagon. Major style clash!

glad you asked... Adapters! Search about them on here or the rest of the web. Learn about offsets and bolt patterns. Maybe you should just stick to your current wheels until you understand the concepts of a proper wheel transfer.
Actually, I'm at a point where I can make a set of wheels work. Adapters, spacers, hub swaps... been there done that and don't mind doing it again. I can pick a set of wheels and make it work. That said, I'm new to Volvos and appreciate the guidance.

The wheels make the car so I don't mind making a little sacrifice, but this is a daily driver and I don't want to be constantly worried about them or polishing them all the time.

Back