• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Olga the Second Revised

Found the electrical problem for the lights! TLDR; found a clipped signal wire behind the radio...

I had completely forgotten that the headlight switch was botched up, and only worked in the park position (haven't driven the car in a few years, and I think it was even like that when I originally purchased the car back in 2004...). Had a few extra light switches and relays laying around, but nothing helped so I got out the electrical plans.

The white and yellow wire coming from pin 4 on the light switch and going to pin 4 on the light relay makes a detour going through the radio harness. Behind the radio the signal wire from the switch was leading into the harness, but not leading back out!

Tip of the day: If your headlights don't work except in the park position, check to see if your radio install properly continued to route the illumination wire to the light relay :oops:

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting my short shifter installed. 3D Modelled the reverse lockout plastic thingy and cut 30mm out of the middle. Pics are of the install I did last week to my daily driver with the part printed in polycarbonate, but it broke pretty quickly. New part is printed using Taulman 910 Nylon and along with being flexible it seems to be a lot stronger! After I've put a few miles on it I'll be able to say if it's a winner.

These are pictures of the install on my DD, but the same happened in the project car as well ;-)

Da big stick

ByeoVqg.jpg

Lockout strap in polycarbonate

XmDeVP3.jpg

Shortened chrome part

uGR1ByY.jpg

New unit ready to go back in

vmlPNVu.jpg

Shortened non-chrome part

WDkHJZj.jpg

Completed in the "short" version

Aqsub7s.jpg

Went down to the local car parts store to get some orange blinker bulbs for the front and they didn't have any in stock. Had to order them online, but as soon as they're in I'm ready to roll! Just waiting to get an appointment for the technical inspection to complete the importation process and I'm back in the game :cool:

Last edited:
Hey question do you think you could 3d print a shifter bushing for an m90?

Could, but they are the same bushings for the m46 and m47 trannys. That is if you mean these bushings. http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...ssion-control/bushing-gear-lever-kit/1014858/

Otherwise the ones for the stabilizing arm going to the shift collumn wouldn't be a problem, but then at 4.45 Euros I'd probably just buy em outright. http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...nsmission-control/bushing-gear-lever/1040272/

If you need a special bushing cause you changed something or whatever, I could still help out. But I first got to print out a couple of Gemini tools when the 3d printer calms down again...

Good luck with the T?V, Germany needs more nicely modded Volvo's like this.

Thanks! Can't say I'm not nervous what they'll start complaining about first... cause they will find everything they want if they're in the mood :oops:

And Sander, excited to see your build finished, you got a niiiice project :nod:

nice work! love the "no-nonsense" look under the hood

also jealous of your wheels :)

My neighbors are all into the VW tuning scene, big rims, shiny paint and all. Their freinds sometimes walk by the shop and start poking fun at my poor old Volvo...

Those who don't want to know, don't need to know!

And yeah, I gotta hold myself back from buying more rims...

Last edited:
Updates!

Got Olga registered with temporary tags to have a few days to get the technical control finished and iron out any bugs before they expire. Was kinda adventurous, but got everything checked off and now I'm only waiting for a certificate of conformity to be able to finally register it.

DiKwZm6.jpg

So ready to get this car on the road!!!!

Last edited:
Also got around to identifying that turbo. Ends up being a v-trim compressor. Not a perfect fit, but it'll do if I don't pick up something else in the meantime.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on respraying the car in the original colour

Edit: what did you use for the tensioner for the main belt?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on respraying the car in the original colour

Edit: what did you use for the tensioner for the main belt?

When I re-re-paint the car, it'll only be in the original color. Thought about other colors, but there's merit in keeping the car looking original. When that'll happen, no idea!

EDIT: The original color of the car was already blue if that's what you're getting at. I just painted and installed an SE kit, it's not a true SE ;-)

The tensioner is from an Audi 80 VW Golf T4 Vento 1,6 1,9 D TD type thing. Drilled and tapped the head for a 10mm bolt and put a washer underneath to space it out.

Last edited:
got everything checked off and now I'm only waiting for a certificate of conformity to be able to finally register it.

Seems like this last step might be more of a task than anticipated. Tried getting the CoC online but ended up only getting a reply telling me they were unsuccessful and I should contact the manufacturer directly. Last week I talked to the Volvo dealer and he said it would take 6 weeks to get it. Just emailed Volvo directly and hope they can help out a bit more than it's been going thus far.

Worst case scenario, the car sits around till mid August. Been a few years already, what's another month or two going to hurt :woowoo:

Guess I'll just have to put the waiting time to good use :-D

Back to getting the small things done while I'm waiting on the papers! Mostly just quality of life items.

-- Brighter headlight bulbs
-- Gas shocks for the trunk lid (goodbye wooden prop stick!)
-- Ignition switch replaced since it was sometimes hard to get the starter to engage

Wanted to get to some other stuff checked off this weekend, but I kinda got caught up in getting "famous" (big sarcastic grin).

MiOWwhb.jpg

Yep, that's me on TV!!! The guy in the technical jersey, with the huge T on it :-)

qAVITqa.jpg

And there I am again, just lurking :ninja:

Stuff I still got to do:

-- Replace rear brake hoses (just not looking forward to it since the brass fittings rounded off)
-- Replace handbrake cable (was looking kinda sketch and finally broke during those adventurous technical inspection times)
-- Find a way to reglue the headliner that's sagging over the back seat without having to remove the headliner completely, and have it not look... improvised
-- Install radio and audio system

Last edited:
Just got rid of all the links to my photobucket account. Glad I started the migration last week and was already half done with re-linking everything before they flagged me. Such an aggravating move they pulled there!

Hey, Google bots, rank this! Photobucket is photobucket the photobucket last photobucket crap photobucket crap photobucket crappy photobucket crap!

Glad I released myself from that photobucket mess!!!

Last edited:
Yesterday the Volvo dealer called and needed me to come by and sign some papers for the CoC request. According to him I should have the papers in hand in about two weeks! :-D

So finally got around to taking care of the brake lines and the handbrake cable. Wasn't looking forward to doing the job, but I made the most of it. After taking out most of the interior I just took out the rest and got out the vacuum cleaner to do a good cleaning.

szVYZNgh.jpg

Twas kinda grungy, but I did find a whole 1.36 dollars under the seats!

CwbGcbgh.jpg

Here the finished brake line

fJkVDgBh.jpg

This is where I cut off the old ones, just at the end of the flare on the hard line.

nkBQL32h.jpg

Using this dandy flare tool got some good results!

Xmg58nJh.jpg

Old handbrake lines out, new ones slapped in.

7BhPuGeh.jpg

Then I saw this...

rYNYbcQh.jpg

Guess you can't expect everything to hold forever! New crap on the shopping list, just glad I saw it now instead of after it started really making problems.

Last edited:
It's a curse/cure I tell you!

Went to finish the left side brake line and the threads stripped out of my newly refurbed caliper and wasted the brake line as well... So off to eBay and found a replacement caliper and ordered another brake line.

8h2PCrlh.jpg

Then I looked in the eBay wanted ad listings at found a chap parting out a 1996 940. Drove out about 20 minutes and came back with a new axle. 1041 with the 3.54 gearset and no leaking seals, and two more replacement calipers, the irony of it all...

5DPG3K4h.jpg

BUT, new calipers on the axle have 40mm pistons that could replace the 38mm units I've been running. Generally speaking that results in an extra 10% clamping force which should go well with the 302mm rotors on the front.

The irony of it all...

Thinking out loud, keeping the 4.10 or reverting back to the stock 3.54

Current M46 with comparisions for the M90 swap in the "near" future

Considerations for gearing:

This is going to be a daily driver
Common cruising speeds in Germany: 30 km/h ~18 mph (neighborhoods/school zones), 50 km/h ~31 mph (in town), 100 km/h ~62 mph (highways), 130+ km/h ~80 mph (Autobahn)

Thanks to Wagner! Tables taken from http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=104624&highlight=ratio+chart

Ratios compared:

Volvo M46: 4,03:1 – 2,16:1 – 1,37:1 – 1,00:1 – 0,79:1

RpmsRpm DropRpm Drop %
1st to 2nd6800-3959284142
2nd to 3rd6800-4313248737
3rd to 4th6800-4964183627
4th to 5th6800-5372142821

Volvo M90: 3,54:1 – 2,05:1 – 1,38:1 – 1,00:1 – 0,81:1

RpmsRpm DropRpm Drop %
1st to 2nd6800-3938286242
2nd to 3rd6800-4578222233
3rd to 4th6800-4928187228