• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

In one of the very first posts (if not THE first post) you will find a link that will take you to some manner of picture hosting site. Many pics there.

blast! I came in here hoping to find that it had been resurrected.

Oh well, I'll just have to satisfy my rally jones' with the first few pages. :-D

edit: John, (hell, any of the johns :e-shrug:) why the unequal geometry on the firewall to strut tower tubes off the cage? Is it just the photo, or does the drivers side tube actually have a big 'ol kink in it?

blast! I came in here hoping to find that it had been resurrected.

Oh well, I'll just have to satisfy my rally jones' with the first few pages. :-D

edit: John, (hell, any of the johns :e-shrug:) why the unequal geometry on the firewall to strut tower tubes off the cage? Is it just the photo, or does the drivers side tube actually have a big 'ol kink in it?

No, it is a-symmetrical in real life IIRC. It ties into the strut tower slightly differently to make the geometry more or less effectively the same. The bar has to clear the brake servo on one side and the other side sheetmetel baffle thing is where the air-inlet to the turbo goes as a sort of snorkle IIRC.
That car makes me giggle the couple times I've seen it just looking at it.

Holy crap.

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

Damn, that's insanity, good to hear to walked away from that one (which was what, a few years ago? lol)

This PRV motor is far from perverted. I'm pretty much speechless.

Holy crap.

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

Damn, that's insanity, good to hear to walked away from all those rollovers (which was what, a few years ago? lol)

This PRV motor is such a pervert!. I'm pretty much speechless.

fixed. lol.

I've heard some of the hype about this car, and finally seeing this - holy wow!! It's all true! I'm stunned.

Man, seeing is OK, looking is good, but riding in it is unfawking believeable.:wtf: :wtf: :omg:

He should be locked up.

The crazy ones show us what is possible in life - we just have to find out how crazy we ourselves are willing to be :)

So when will it be running and when will it take a cruise through Portland. I heard the last visit was worth many giggles. I want to see a 1/4 mile hole shot at PIR.

Thanks
Renny

BTW I love that you used the stock manifolds with just tubing run over the bell housing. I was looking at the lump in my garage trying to envision it. Now I don't need to.

Thx again

I went over and took a bunch of pics the other week, most of which turned out beautifully. Here's a sample of them, just to give you guys a teaser. I'll be tossing up a photogallery for John Lane with all the pics eventually, so these links might change! When I do then I'll update this post.

Currently the car starts up decently, not bad after sitting for a few years. It scoots around the driveway just fine too. Right now it's missing front brakes and a heap of other things that are getting upgraded, but it's quite a beast, trust me.

image0013.jpg

image0017.jpg

image0018.jpg

image0006.jpg

image0026.jpg

image0055.jpg

image0104.jpg

image0118.jpg

It has the std. Volvo front door speakers to get that really good tune everyone's talking about to make the engine produce immense power. Essential for any race car. :lol:

Nice premises for the car too.

John! Rollin on stock front struts??
I'm shocked. Shocked!:wtf:

on the other hand, at least your car has wheels on the front:oops:

btw, I need to discuss that V6 bellhousing with you, i.e. which box is it supposed to attach to?

oh yeah, love the airfilter.

Thanks for posting the pics John.

Thank you for your kind words guys.

My poor Volvo is in need of a whole bunch of love.

Last time out (2003?) we were screwing around doing a non-sanctioned, non official, no permission, no insurance 'practice.' The dreaded wheel bearing issue showed up again in the right front. It went straight rather then turn left.... Thump into a berm at the right front and it was on it's side right after having been painted and prettied. The paint had not finished smelling of the bodyshop. Ugh.

The arrangement for the turbo..... An esteemed member of this very board is building a set of headers for me that should do wonders for power considering what a set of headers does for a DeLorean with that lump of love it has under the hood (25+hp improvement in the D with headers!! No kidding!!).

The Axle is one out of the 9" Ford rear that I bent bumping into something on a stage.

Kevin the OE struts are in there so that it can be moved about. No brakes. I will not turn a wheel on a stage again with Volvo 240 spindles. I've broken and bent too many of them with frustrating consequences. The Bellhousing. We should have chit-chat. Give me a ring.

The Airfilter is like that due to my having repeated issues with a marginally smaller K&N cone style air filter having a naughty habit of becoming horribly mis-shaped in use... It was forever trying to get sucked into the turbo.

Jannes I figure that with a better tune a thousand horsepower should be at my beck and call. I may have to upgrade the wiring to those fine speakers to get there.

Back