• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

John Lane's Fire Breathing Monster info & pics

OK, I tore the Quaife gearset out last night. Here's the rundown of the damage (a little different than I thought.): One tooth missing from 2nd gear on mainshaft, several chipped teeth on 4th gear on mainshaft but no missing or cracked teeth, 1st gear on the layshaft is missing about 3 teeth. Everything else is perfect, including the synchro teeth.
So it's going to need a layshaft (which will be the most expensive part), 2nd gear, and 4th gear should be replaced but if you were a really cheap bastard you could reuse it but you might as well replace it as long as you are getting the other stuff.
The next question is, what parts are still good in the other gearset that broke? I'll have to see if John still has that around and if any of the parts that are broken in this gearset are good in that one.

Here's a link to the album that shows pics of the damaged gearset:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=oppositelock&album_id=128017

-Dave Clark

Let me know when you're doing the group hug, er "buy" with the racks and I'll take one (maybe 2 - heh heh).

Hey I just recently got into vovlvo's when I purchased my 1989 780 bertone coupe v-6. Someone I met online mentioned to look and John Lane's car. I think that is absolutely insane and I lvoe it. I have the v-6 and I wanted to do some things to it and they directed me ti this website and John Lane. So if any one can help me I am confused on my volvo and I am 19 years old and very handy with cars. So any help at all will be awesome.

[quote:8eac1f5209]OK, I tore the Quaife gearset out last night. Here's the rundown of the damage (a little different than I thought.): One tooth missing from 2nd gear on mainshaft, several chipped teeth on 4th gear on mainshaft but no missing or cracked teeth, 1st gear on the layshaft is missing about 3 teeth. Everything else is perfect, including the synchro teeth.
So it's going to need a layshaft (which will be the most expensive part), 2nd gear, and 4th gear should be replaced but if you were a really cheap bastard you could reuse it but you might as well replace it as long as you are getting the other stuff. [/quote:8eac1f5209]

... ok .. so 1st and 3rd gears are OK ... ... what else is good that isnt in the quafie kit for $1325?

thanks,
Oskar

NoSloVo. said:
[quote:07b800e0e0]OK, I tore the Quaife gearset out last night.
... ok .. so 1st and 3rd gears are OK ... ... what else is good that isnt in the quafie kit for $1325?

thanks,
Oskar[/quote:07b800e0e0]

What is good is that you will get both sets of broken Quaife guts along with an M-46 case, already modified to fit the Quaife stuff. The M-46 has the very late model BIG mainshaft and the P-Type overdrive. The overdrive worked just fine, and I was never able to break the mainshaft. The gears would break first. Twice. You will get to supply your very own bellhousing, as I suspect that you will not be doing a V-6 project, and also that it is huge, and not worth the dough it would take to ship it. Now the big question has to be: "How much money should I demand for my old, unused, broken junk that is taking up space?" Keep in mind that my broken up old junk has sentimental value to me, but that I could be persuaded to part with these treasures for the correct amount of dough. So guys and gals.....Step right up!! Don't be shy!! I have some really fabulous broken junk that will go to the highest bidder.
Thoughts??? JohnLane.

Getrag correction. The Getrag 265 has an overdrive 5th gear (i.e. not 1:1). The "dogleg" I-H pattern Getrag is the 262 CR (i.e. Volvo M51). The gearboxes look almost identical externally. The BMW E30 M3 came with the 265 here in the USA and the 262 CR in Europe. Also the M-B 190E 2.3 16V can with the 262 CR. Bimmerworld sells the 262 CR's for $1950 if anyone is interested in one. My BMW shop has several 262 CR's also (in England at a friends shop).

As for M45/46/47 gearsets. Quaife makes gearsets along with SF (I believe this is the company name). Most of the Swedes prefer the SF gearsets, as they seem to be slightly stronger. Contact the fellas at Valencia Volvo R-Sport for these gearsets. They have excellent contacts in Europe. Claes can get you the parts from the manufacturer not distributors like SAM (i.e. cheaper).

Quaife makes a quick ratio rack for the Volvo 240 along with their ATB (Bildon Motorsports sells the Quaife ATB for the 240 for @ $839). SAM used to sell one, not sure if it is still available.

David
russelldb@hotmail.com

doug242ti said:
So have you got enough decent parts to hobble together one quaife m46? If you do I'm intrested!

Doug

4th gear from the other gearset is good, so the only parts that need to be replaced are 2nd gear and the layshaft.

-Dave Clark

sean said:
E30 M3's in the US DID come with CR boxes.
Sean

Maybe a closer ratio Getrag 265, but definately not the Getrag 262 CR. I have an E30 M3 and it has a 265 with the H-I shift pattern. That goes for every E30 M3 I have come across and heard of, which matches the factory specs. All USA spec E30 M3's came with the Getrag 265 and a 4.10:1 final drive. The European M3's came with the Getrag 262 CR with a 3.25:1 or 3.15:1 (Sport Evolution) final drive.

Here are the gear ratios for the E30 M3 Getrag 265 and 262 CR

265: 3.83:1, 2.20:1, 1.40:1, 1:1, 0.83:1
262 CR: 3.72:1, 2.40:1, 1.77:1, 1.26:1, 1:1

Both of these gearboxes will fit in a 200/700/900 series car with the bellhousing adapter and modified linkage. You can purchase the linkage from Volvo (200 series only) or SAM.

David
russelldb@hotmail.com

Just to get this thread back on track...

The Powerstroke intercooler install is nearly done. I started another thread with links to the photo album since this thread is getting a little long and bogged down. Go check it out.

-Dave Clark

heres a pic of Johns car that my girlfriend took at the IPD garage sale... I need to also mention John was giving rides in AND letting people drive his car there... I was a fool not to take a ride, but I was stuck manning a booth and couldn't get away. John will you give me a ride at Thunderhill and scare the crap out of me???? please.
lane.JPG

Hey Guys and Gals.
the P/S intercooler is in, all the facia is back in the car, and the holes where the 'Merikanski spec rectangular high beams are going to just make for more airflow to the intercooler. All that is left is to come up with two hoses to get from the pipes to the intercooler. That will happen today. Now if I can manage to get the front wheel bearings fixed up, I will play with it at the rallysprints this weekend in Hoqium. Holding my breath. JohnLane.

American sucks dont it John?

if you dont know what I'm talking about, we're talking about american spec headlights... even the best sylvania x-tra vision non-replaceable headlights suck totally compared to true euro-spec. They just glare too much and dont illuminate. I cant imagine what it'd be like rallying with american spec headlights! talk about braking too late! There is a reason why people overload on the fogs and drivng lights (which only contributes to the glare...) so those driver can actually see some light on the road...

CaptainBondo said:
Decided against the 7" round John?

I have everything to do those, but am too lazy to do the flat hood and such. This is easy, and at this point in the game easy is sounding very good indeed. :roll:
I am told that the wheel bearings are happening even as we speak.
The silliness will commence soon. 8) JL.

Volvo78GT said:
American sucks dont it John?

if you dont know what I'm talking about, we're talking about american spec headlights... even the best sylvania x-tra vision non-replaceable headlights suck totally compared to true euro-spec. They just glare too much and dont illuminate. I cant imagine what it'd be like rallying with american spec headlights! talk about braking too late! There is a reason why people overload on the fogs and drivng lights (which only contributes to the glare...) so those driver can actually see some light on the road...

Oh......For night stages, the Volvo uses four Hella 'Rally 4000 motorsport' HID driving lights mounted up on a lightbar. The two lamps that are 'missing' were there only for cosmetic reasons anyway. With four HUGE HID lights, I make DAYLIGHT for half a mile in front of me.
As it says......."Overkill is consistently more fun." :roll: JL.

JohnLane said:
[quote:839c703869="CaptainBondo"]Decided against the 7" round John?

I have everything to do those, but am too lazy to do the flat hood and such. This is easy, and at this point in the game easy is sounding very good indeed. :roll:
I am told that the wheel bearings are happening even as we speak.
The silliness will commence soon. 8) JL.[/quote:839c703869]

As a matter of record I think John has used every version of headlight Volvo ever offered for the 240 at some point in the Fire Breathing Monster's life. And it would suck to go back to the flat hood because the current hood has all the cool vents and scoops for the turbo and if he went to a different hood that means I would have to paint more flames. I've already had my fill of right front fenders! :roll:

-Dave Clark

Back